It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Chinese Benzene Spill Will Reach Khabarovsk Thursday Morning.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The Benzene toxic spill from the Chinese chemical plant will reach the Russian city of Khabarovsk, home to 600.000 people, Thursday morning. Russian officials have taken measures, such as limiting the amount of river water used, and building a damn in one of the branches of the Amur river.

en.rian.ru
The construction of a dam in the Kazakevicha, a branch of the Amur, was completed at 6 a.m. Moscow time (3 a.m. GMT) Wednesday.

"One water intake facility on the branch of the Amur was switched off temporarily pending results of tests of the river water and in case of dam failure," the ministry said.

"Measures to prepare for the limited use of river water have been completed in the Jewish Autonomy and the Khabarovsk Region, and the content of the Amur water has been tested for quality on a continual basis," the ministry added.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I hope that the preparations made by the Russian officials are sufficient. People living in those areas that will be affected should have made their own preparations and stored potable water for at least a couple of weeks.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
People should count on that river being devoid of life for a long time becuase Benzene is one of the most toxic chemicals known to man. Sure hope all those Russian citizens have enough portable water or money to get out of town

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Is it possible to burn this?
Or can some foam neutralize this?

Foam exthinguishers beside water plants and pier installations

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I think the process is to put coal or charcol into the river to soak up the chemicals. I think burning the Benzene will just cause smoke and still leave it in the water or the surrounding area

top topics

join