It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do females, on the whole, do a better job of wrapping gifts than males?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
All the females in my life can wrap a gift and it looks like it's been wrapped by a professional.

I wrap a gift and it ends up looking like an abortion.

Why is it that a chimpanzee wearing a diaper could probably do a better job than me?:bnghd:

Peace

[edit on 21-12-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Dr Love...

Patience!

I do not have the patience to sit their and make sure everylittle corner is nice and tight and everything is neat. I have mastered the simple square shaped box to wrap, but anything other then that, its coming in a gift bag!

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I can't answer this question, as I have a UN resolution banning me from ever wrapping a Christmas present again.

[edit on 21/12/05 by Bripe Klmun]

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
To females, a wrapped gift has extra emotional content attached to it. It's pretty. It's thoughtful. It took extra time and effort.

To us males, it's just another stupid layer of packaging to remove before we get to play with our new toy.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I dont wrap many gifts....for obvious reasons.... but I know of a few rules of thumb for knowing if you did it right.

#1 Only use one piece of paper. Using two is like violating the laws of physics, it can happen, but only for a short instance.

#2 Use at the very most, four piece of tape, usually two will do.

#3 Crisp lines! Keep everything nice and tight and fold when required. However, dont pull so hard you rip it,

#4 If its a plastic strink wrapped oddball "Oh how the hell do I wrap this..." kind of thing, either wrap with all your talent, or just use a gift bag and stuff it with tissue paper.

Finally.....if this applies, kids really do not care if you did a bad job, they really dont, its going to be shreadded regardless.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I hate wrapping, if its square I can do it, but if its clothes, or any other shape, AHHHH I Give up. But I don't know why Females are so good at it. Its like one of those mysterys that know one will ever know.
Everyone loves unwrapping presents.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
As to why us males can't wrap gofts up all nice and tight, I don't know. Now, when it comes down to getting drunk and wrapping a car around tree or a pole, there are some of us that can do that pretty well. As to why females can wrap gitfs like a professional, mayve they are born with that ability.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Its gotta be genetic, their born with the DNA that gives them the special abilty to wrap gifts....call it Gods gift.

Guys like us ar'nt gift wrappers, but we are good at tearing them open.

Maximu§

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
okay,

when i was young and i watched my mother wrapping prezzies it is nice and neat.
i tried and it didn't work (this is when i was four).

but practice makes perfect, when i wrap a prezzie up if it is crumpled it shows you only took minutes to wrap it
but if it is nice and neat then hopefully the person will know how long it took to get it to perfection because
you care so much that you want their present to be perfect.

also depends who the prezzie is for to be honest.

oni x x

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Here's my theory now:

1) If it's for my g/f I have a professional do it, period.

2) If it's for any other member of my family and I buy it online and I can pay to have it come giftwrapped, I pay.

3) If it's for any other member of my family or a close friend and I buy it online and I can't pay to have it come giftwrapped, they get the Dr Love special that looks like the edges of the paper have been run through a paper shredder and the sides that you tape to secure the wrapping are bunched-up, bulky and disfigured.

4) If it's for some obscure person that I felt obligated to buy a present for, they'll be lucky to get one of those gift bags.

Peace

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
probably it has to do with greater fine motor skills. Females in general have greater fine motor skills.
As for wrapping presents, who in the right mind would even bother when you can get it done for free at most shops by experts(who are again female BTA!).
A wrapping to me is just another element that is ment to add suprise to the whole giving thing! If someone actually took the pains of doing the wrapping, then they better write that in the card because most of us will never know.
Has anybody ever noticed that women carefully peel away the wrapping, instead of just wrenching it apart and dumping it in the trash ?

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I have a way for all the guys to get around wraping presents. What I do is just use gift bags, throw a bow on it, and there you go. A perfectly presented present.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I am of the opinion that male can wrap gifts just as well, or perhaps better than female.

The reason they seemed to be better is simply we do NOT want to do that stuff, so we "pretend" to do it badly so they will take over this, by and large, thankless job.

Ditto home cooking. Most of the best Chefs are male, yet we would gladly let the ladies cook, same reason.

As to "better motor skills", I respectfully disagree: The best surgeons and the best auto machanics are all men. I rest my case.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
you have to wrap presents - WTF ????? what are you talking about - i dont understand

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
I have a way for all the guys to get around wraping presents. What I do is just use gift bags, throw a bow on it, and there you go. A perfectly presented present.

lol you're in my head Luda, I was about to ask what's wrong with just doing this ?
Altho it is the excitememnt of tearing the paper off, so to save yourself time, money and grief just get a professional to do it.

I have seen that many females can't wrap properly either and some males who could put any female to shame lol

I find boxes are the neatest and nicest way to give a gift

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I am a master when it comes to wrapping presents, maybe it is all of those years of practice that help.

But mine come out looking perfect, nice and tight too, And I can wrap them realy fast as well.

new topics

top topics

join