It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Hits Louisiana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude 3.0 - LOUISIANA
2005 December 20 00:52:20 UTC
Preliminary Earthquake Report
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

A minor earthquake occurred at 00:52:20 (UTC) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005. The magnitude 3.0 event has been located in LOUISIANA. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

Magnitude 3.0
Date-Time Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at 00:52:20 (UTC)
= Coordinated Universal Time
Monday, December 19, 2005 at 6:52:20 PM
= local time at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location 30.275°N, 90.703°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
Region LOUISIANA
Distances 10 km (6 miles) ESE (110°) from French Settlement, LA

Is this something new for that area?
Havent they been thru enough?

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yeah, dgtempe, this is new. And apparently, no, we haven't been through enough, now we have to worry about earthquakes too...

This one was minor but who's to say there won't be more, worse ones?

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Can an earthquake break those levies?

This might be a sign from god to stop building there.. IMO

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Yes IXRAZORXI321, an earthquake would probably break the levees, among other things. And no, we won't stop building there. I, for one, would appreciate it if people would refrain from saying these things. Its too late for that anyway, and your just adding insult to injury by saying that.

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I don't have a problem with you rebuilding. I just don't want to pay for it when it floods again. I feel the same way about any area that repeatedly floods and is rebuilt with taxpayers money. There is plenty of higher land to build on. Sorry if this offends you but its my opinion.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Not to double team, but I am also from Louisiana. Truthfully if the upkeep of the New Orleans levees was not ignored while those "in charge" utilized part of the budget for military purposes, the levee failure could have been avoided.

However, good news regarding Earthquakes (said very sarcastically since I do believe this is hardly jump for joy news) is that unless an earthquake of great magnitude were to hit here we would not feel it nor would many things shift. The composition of our ground (or mud depending on your thoughts) reduces the effects or notice of such things.

I know I did feel a bit offended by your remark just because this is a very touchy subject for me being on the outskirts of Katrina and being in the midst of the almost forgotten Rita. I apologize if I am being oversensitive but most in the same situation would be as well.

Kit, I am pretty sure we MAY not have much to worry about since there has been worse earthquake activity but it was almost 30ish years prior (If memory serves me correctly)...but with these times who knows! Chin up and know that there are others out here!

-Rose

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IXRAZORXI321

Originally posted by IXRAZORXI321
Can an earthquake break those levies?

This might be a sign from god to stop building there.. IMO

Originally posted by IXRAZORXI321
I don't have a problem with you rebuilding. I just don't want to pay for it when it floods again. I feel the same way about any area that repeatedly floods and is rebuilt with taxpayers money. There is plenty of higher land to build on. Sorry if this offends you but its my opinion.

Almost every area of the US has some kind of natural disaster threat. Louisiana just happens to be hurricanes, just as California gets earthquakes, wildfires and landslides. Oklahoma gets tornados. Should we not rebuild in those places too? Gee, if we didn't rebuild in any of these places when ever Mother Nature throws a fit, we would be living out of caves in Mongolia somewhere.

As far as this earthquake, it's not something that is unheard of. In June of 1967, Louisiana was struck by a 3.8 quake. So, while an earthquake in Louisiana is rare, it isn't unheard of, therefore I wouldn't read too much into it. Really, the only thing that would make me raise an eyebrow, is the timing but that alone isn't enough by itself. If this happens again, then I'd be worried.

--airspoon

new topics

top topics

join