It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots...good or bad?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Is it just me or does that third terminator robot from the left look just a little too endowed to be out looking for anything other then a female terminator robot?

I work in the auto industry, a wheel plant to be exact, and we use many robots to do the work of humans. We still have to have plenty of humans around to get the job done. Humans program the robots, inspect the finished work, see to it that the robot has fresh product to machine etc, etc etc....

Robots make our lives easier, but they do not replace us.

I look forward to the future when I can have my own PAR

Love and light,

Wupy

But they WILL replace us.

We do not even communicate with each the way we used to, thanks to the 'robot'.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
They are good, in the sense that as they continue to take over human employment, humans will be forced to learn new skill and not be enslaved to mundane, redundant repetitive work.

The take over of the robot is apart of our evolution.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Technologically robots would currently be able to replace about 60-80% of jobs. Any job that does not involve creativity or abstract thinking could potentially be replaced by a robot. Any job that involves repetitive physical action can be replace by a robot easily. I could personally build a robot that does it.

With advances in 3D-printing industry (especially in materials, as currently the strength and thermal characteristics of the most used materials (ABS, PVA etc) are not good, they can not tolerate stronger pressure and higher temperatures), soon the need for lots of factories will disappear as people can simply print out any commodities needed at home. Even clothes will soon become "printable". Although this will also start creating jobs, as more computer designers are needed who would create the 3D-design.

With the advances in technology (faster processors, better sensors), robots are very likely to go cheaper and fall into mass production. Although terminator-like robots are not likely to happen in the near future.

Citing Michio Kaku from 3 years ago: " Currently the intelligence level of the world´s intelligent robot can be compared to retarded cockroach" Robots are not able to understand or learn anything, every single move and action they do, has to be written in their programming code and to be honest, even simple things often require quite advanced programming. Although no one can currently insert "common sense" in the programming code. Robots are the perfect workers, they simply do whatever their told without questioning.

Although I must agree with some posts here, that sooner or later most current jobs, especially jobs that require physical work, are highly likely to disappear, as people will not be able to compete with a cheaper robot, who works without becoming tired, is faster and never makes mistakes. If a robot does a mistake, it is a mistake done by the programmer or designer, not by the robot itself.
edit on 7-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiddly54
i'm working as a cleaner in a cheese factory over summer, and there is a lot of robots working in their.
they stack boxes of cheese.

but their are still a lot of people cutting, boxing, wrapping, cleaning, supervising and every thing. robots just cant cope with wat a person has to do. i think it will be a very long time before a robot is good enough to replace even a cheese packer.

Cutting, boxing, wrapping, cleaning are not done by robots because such robots cost too much curently, although many companies use industrial robots for doing these actions.

Robot can easily replace a cheese packer, although such a robot currently costs extreme amounts, so for any company it is cheaper to hire a worker to do it. If an individual robot would do it, then it would require very strong motor skills programmed into it (imagine human fingers, how much they can move) . It is not easy, although at current technology it is definetely doable and there are many such robots. Most companies use industrial robots for cheese packing though, (not individual robots, but manufacturing lines, where machines do the work and every machine has a different simple task). These machines can cost millions of dollars though, so it is overally cheaper to hire some person to do it.
edit on 7-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join