It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bible of plane fanatics...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I found very little on the Curtiss A-8, this is all I've been able to find.

After completion of service testing, 4 of 5 YA-8 and 7 of 8 Y1A-8 were assigned to operational attack squadrons and redesignated A-8. The only difference between the service test and operational aircraft were the unit markings added to the paint scheme of the A-8.

Sources:
US Air Force Museum

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Here's a little more info i found on the A-8.

The Curtiss A-8 was the first non-biplane to enter service with the US Army, with its first flight coming in June of 1931 after defeating the General Aviation XA-7 in flight tests. The A-8's primary role was attack, and it was assigned to the Army's one and only squadron devoted to the attacking role (3rd Attack Group in Fort Crockett, Texas).

The A-8 was eventually modified with a smaller, 625hp Curtiss Conqueror radial engine. This was a step above other attack aircraft, as most of the US attack squadrons had liquid-cooled engines at that particular time. This new-engined model became the A-12.

Powerplant:
One 600 hp Curtiss V-1570E Conqueror liquid-cooled V-12 engine.
Performance:
Maximum speed 183 mph at sea level. Cruising speed 153 mph at sea level. Stalling speed 64 mph.
Initial climb rate 1325 feet per minute. Service ceiling 18,100 feet. Range 480 miles.

Wingspan
44 feet 0 inches, length 32 feet 0 inches, height 9 feet 0 inches, wing area 256 square feet.
Weights:
3910 pounds empty, 5888 pounds loaded.
Armament:
Four forward-firing 0.30-inch machine guns. One flexible 0.30-inch machine gun operated by rear observer. Ten 30-pound bombs could be carried internally, or four 100 pound bombs externally.

Hope this helps a little.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
www.hobbytyme.com...

uscockpits.com...

membres.lycos.fr...-B

These sites have been on my favouriite list for ages so im sticking them on here

www.airtoaircombat.com...

www.milavia.net...

www.f-14association.com...

www.topedge.com...

www.f-111.net...

Come useful to ATS users discussing aircraft projects

[edit on 28-12-2005 by Browno]

<< 1   >>

join