It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Plastic Explosives Stolen In Albuquerque

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
wow nice to know they leave this stuff unguarded. im sorry i cant even comment right now. you leave no cameras or guards on it, then act surprised when some ones stole something from the area FOR THE SECOND TIME. then say its highly dangerous and a serious threat....if it was such a threat WHY WASNT ANYONE GUARDING IT?!!!!

!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I have to agree, unless they were afraid that too much security could draw unnecessary attention to the area, but considering that there was a previous theft from that storage area, it seems just plain dumb. You know, this is New Mexico. You can never rule out alien involvement, either of the terrestrial or extra-terrestrial variety, neither of which is all that reassuring.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
unnecessary attention is better then no attention at all. this is just plain stupidity. i am still trying to grip how stupid this is. now i can understand how something like 9/11 happened.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
w00t my city got in the news!! *blushes* sorry guys.. hope this doesn't kill anyone...

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Four people have been arrested in the Four Corners area for stealing the subject named explosive materials:

Four men, including two brothers, were taken into custody Friday by federal authorities in connection with the theft of 400 pounds of explosives from a storage depot southwest of Albuquerque.

The men, whose names were not immediately released, all face federal charges, including possession of stolen explosives.

Three of the arrests were made in Bloomfield, in the northwest corner of the state, and the other was made in Ignacio, Colo., said Tom Mangan, a spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Federal authorities were processing a crime scene in a remote area of New Mexico, but Mangan did not release any details.

www.forbes.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This isn't a heck of a lot of information. but the most important part is that a whole bunch of explosive material has been recovered. I will post more as information becomes available. There is no evidence of a terrorist connection at this time.

[edit on 2005/12/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrjones
How do they not know when the stuff went missing?
250 pounds seems like alot, someone should have noticed it walking out the door.
Would the detonators be detectable by metal detectors?
Who knew the stuff was there?
Who reciently quit from the place?
Why is the ATF there and not the FBI?

So many questions...

To add one more question to your list, (which is bound to grow), If I owned a facility where these types of explosives were being stored, I might invest in a camera system to monitor comings and goings also. But that's just me.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Mayor Martin Chavez, whom I saw this evening while dining out, by the way (no, he didn't say, hi), is very upset about about this happening twice in ABQ, as is Senator Jeff Bingaman, from what I've heard from the grapevine. An ATF representative said that the materials were stored according to federal regulations and that he didn't see any reason to change those regulations.

However, based on the news reports I saw, the storage area is just about as insecure as anything you can imagine, with signs saying "Danger: Explosives" on the gate. The fences had holes big enough for anyone to crawl through and I'm pretty sure anyone could hop the gate just in case they for got their bolt cutters to cut the chain on the gate. I think that the trailers the explosives were stored in where supposed to be secure, but the theives used torches to cut their way into the "magazine." What that says about their intelligence or expertise, I'm not sure.

I don't know how much the mayor can do to influence federal law, but Bingaman has the clout to do something about it, if he doesn't get sidetracked by something else.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
So Grady, I hope you have a solid alibi...
(Just joking)

Anything new as to where and why this was stolen? Al Qaeda? Homegrown terrorists?

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The names of 2 of the arrested men have been released.

The identities of the two others in custody - and a fifth person (unconfirmed) still being sought have not yet been released.

[Edit: Thanks to Grady below for the additional link.]

[edit on 12/24/05 by makeitso]

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I can't get into that site, even though I'm registered, so here's another:

abcnews

Two brothers, Leslie Brown, 44, of Ignacio, Colo., and David Brown, 49, of Bloomfield [NM], face federal charges that include possession of stolen explosives and felons in possession of explosives, Dixie said.

Authorities gave few other details, including the names of the other two people arrested Friday. A tip led to the arrests.

The explosives were intact and it did not appear that anyone had tried to use the material, authorities said. Authorities said the brothers did not have experience to use the explosives.

Investigators said they were continuing a search of a storage facility south of Bloomfield, where most of the explosives were found. Some of the material also was found in Ignacio and another location in Bloomfield.

Bernalillo County Sheriff Darren White said there was a "collective sigh of relief" when authorities were notified that the explosives had been located.

[edit on 2005/12/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Here is a picture of David Brown, 44, one of the culprits. The investigation is still ongoing and I am unaware of any new information regarding motive having been released.

[edit on 2005/12/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
Anyway this story is just propaganda to influence the sheeple - I wouldn't worry too much.

Riiight...like people don't start screaming "conspiracy" if the governmnet would had hid such information, or if some terrorists would have used them but the government decided not to say anything to the public....

Another case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.....

[edit on 25-12-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Investigators are revealing that the explosives were found along with firearms and a chop shop operation.

forbes

Numerous firearms and a chop-shop for stolen vehicles were discovered in the recovery of hundreds of pounds of stolen explosives, federal officials said Saturday.

Four men were arrested Friday in connection with the looted explosives that disappeared from Cherry Engineering's storage depot eight miles southwest of Albuquerque earlier in the week, a spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said.

Authorities didn't say what the thieves planned to do with the explosives, which was enough to flatten a large building, but they believed the theft was not related to terrorism.

A tip led to the arrests of Leslie Brown, 44, of Ignacio, Colo.; David Brown, 49, of Bloomfield; and Eric Wayne Armstrong, 32, of Bloomfield, who all face federal charges that include possession of stolen explosives and felons in possession of explosives, said Tom Mangan, ATF spokesman.

Authorities refused to release the identity of the fourth person arrested. A fifth person was being interviewed about the case, Mangan said.

Mangan said authorities "are confident that all the individuals that were involved in the theft of the explosives are in custody at this time."

I hate the way they always mention the possession of firearms in such cases. That's like saying they found beer in the suspects' refrigerators or a few knives in their kitchen drawers.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy that this case has turned out as it did. I still would like to know exactly what these geniuses thought they might do with these explosives. We can never rule out the possibility that they may have been of the mentality of someone like the Oklahoma bomber and his ilk.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join