It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Plastic Explosives Stolen In Albuquerque

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Hundreds of pounds of high explosives, including 2,500 blasting caps, 250 pounds of deta sheets, and an unknown length of detonation cord, have been stolen from a storage facility in Albuquerque, NM. Local police and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms say that they do not know when the explosives were stolen nor do they have any suspects. The explosives belonged to Cherry Engineering. They are cooperating with authorities.

thenewmexicochannel.com
Authorities are asking for the public to help in locating a dangerous amount of explosives.

Federal investigators have joined with Albuquerque police and state police after hundreds of pounds of plastic explosives turned up missing Sunday at a secure Albuquerque storage facility.

Also missing are 2,500 blasting caps, 250 pounds of deta sheets and an undetermined length of explosive detonation cords.

What makes deta sheets especially dangerous is that they can be hidden in books or letters. It cannot be spotted by a metal detector but are used by engineers for detonation.

The director of the federal Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Agency in New Mexico, Wayne Dixie, said the materials are highly explosive.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No matter how you stack it, in these times, missing high explosives is not good news. Governor Richardson has said that he thinks that either the explosives were stolen by someone seeking to make a fast buck or someone with a mental illness. Well, that's not very reassuring. Of course, there are plenty of folks who have a burning desire for that much destructive power. Aside from the mentally ill, I guess the next largest market would be domestic terrorists. We can only hope that the matériel will be accounted for soon.

Related News Links:
kvoa.com
www.forbes.com
www.usatoday.com

[edit on 2005/12/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
How do they not know when the stuff went missing?
250 pounds seems like alot, someone should have noticed it walking out the door.
Would the detonators be detectable by metal detectors?
Who knew the stuff was there?
Who reciently quit from the place?
Why is the ATF there and not the FBI?

So many questions...

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I love this story. I'm a pilot (small, private plane). After 9/11 we've been subjected to all sorts of security BS and flight restrictions becuase of some insane notion that small planes are potential weapons. So although my local airport is in a perpetual state of lock-down a bunch of trailers holding hundreds, maybe thousands, of pounds of high explosive are conveniently located in an isolated, unmonitored location??? Clearly the people in charge of national security just don't get it.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The same way the president goes on national tv to tell us all that its ok that he is snooping through our emails and listening to our calls and tapping our phone lines in the name of catching the "terrists". Meanwhile our borders are wide open and 10000000 mexicans a day are waltzing on in. Very easy to hide 10 or 20 middle eastern terrorists amongst all those brown faces...I feel safe, i dont know about you all...

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I guess the spooks are gonna pull another Reichsteig Fire to push the non believers in congress to support Nazi Fascism Dictatorship.

Cant wait to hear what the story is on the sea plane that exploded in Miami before it hit the water.

These spooksters are truly a sloppy bunch.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Nah... the seaplane was an unfortunate and tragic accident. Too early to say for certain but it has all the earmarks of a fuel line separation with ensuing fuel explosion/fire which compromised the flight surface control cables. The combination of the fire/explosion and the pilot's attempt to quickly land the plane resulted in the wing separating. Tragic but nothing untoward here.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
im going to have to say that im not taking a side yet till i see more facts on the situation, since they dont seem to have a clue what happen other then explosives were stolen. what bothers me is that they know the amount stolen, but not from where it was stolen.(or who stole it)

if mentally ill can get there hands on this stuff maybe the government should be focusing on security alittle more then making the patriot act permanent. they want us to feel safe, maybe they should guard their highly explosive materials alittle better instead of monitering groups like a catholic workers charity.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   

What makes deta sheets especially dangerous is that they can be hidden in books or letters. It cannot be spotted by a metal detector but are used by engineers for detonation

This is the line that makes we a little bit worried. We have Christmas, and we have New Years coming up. I only hope that we can get through the holidays again without any incident. This stuff is not picked up on metal detectors, so you strap yourself with it, use ceramic instead of metal for your shrapnel, and you have one hell of a weapon inside a stadium or your local Wal-Mart.

The type and amount of explosive taken could make hundreds of sucide bombers, or explosives. Makes you want to know a little more about the bombing in OK outisde the school stadium and what happened to his roomates, etc....

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Okay, I got with my explosives expert because I had never heard of a "deta sheet". Correct name is DETASHEET.

It's a rubbery sheet explosive which typically comes in 1/4 inch thick strips about a 1/2 foot wide and several feet long.

My contact stated that this material being missing "is a serious event" and that the ATF has something of substance to be worried about.

[edit on 12-20-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
My contact stated that this material being missing "is a serious event" and that the ATF has something of substance to be worried about.

What is so serious about it ? 250 lbs isn't that much. Any bomb maker worth his salt could make an explsove of similar power such as RDX. Sure it's in sheets, but many explosives can be shaped into sheets.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

What is so serious about it ? 250 lbs isn't that much. Any bomb maker worth his salt could make an explsove of similar power such as RDX. Sure it's in sheets, but many explosives can be shaped into sheets.

FoxNews is reporting that the amount and type of explosive is enough to completely level a 10 story building. Pretty significant considering it took a whole truck of explosives to level the building in OKC.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
FoxNews is reporting that the amount and type of explosive is enough to completely level a 10 story building. Pretty significant considering it took a whole truck of explosives to level the building in OKC.

LOL, sure it is - if you were a demolitions expert and knew the exact weakpoints in the structure. Otherwise it's complete BS

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I'd be worried... But this happened in Albu "crack" eee... The explosives were most likely "acquired" by one of the numerous urchins which pervade the once quiet streets of my former beloved home. The end result will be either the spectacular demise of said urchins in a "let's see what this does" South Valley experiment, or the humorous use of valuable explosives to relieve a liquor store of $27.47 from the cash box, and a case of Bud Light.

Either way, APD will be right on it... In mañana...

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Demolition grade explosives go missing all the time, this is nothing new in this country. Some are sold on the grey market (the majority) some are taken by crack pots that just want to see what they will do. Alot of the stolen material gets stored away in someones garage for years on end.

The OKC bombing did not level the building far from it, it was probably 4- 55 gallon drums of diesel fule nitrogen fertilizer with some blasting caps, the percussion of the explosion is what ripped open the face of the building. IF the Murray building had an underground parking structure there might have been a chance that the whole building would come down.

More then likely if that type of explosion was under the building though the reinforced outwalls of the parking structure would have contained the blast and focused the explosive power upwards, ripping a giant bubble in the center of the building, that would burst upwards orobably two or three floors, blowing apart almost everything. Sure it would have buckled a few support columns, but given the explosive potential of diesel and nitrogen I seriously doubt the whole building would hav collapsed,

Thus they set it off on the outside, while not totally efficeint, it allowed the percussion wave of the explosion to "shear up" the face of the building giving maximum affect to all the exterior floors of the building.

Look at the lateral damage surrounding the outside street where the truck was, pretty minimal I think a few cars in the adjacent parking lot were destroyed but total damage was pretty minimal, the exterior face of the building took 60% of the blast effect on that side, while the other side "vented" to free air basically.

Thats why suicide bombers are far more destructive when they come along side then when they are set off head on.

And the whole reason on that video with the contractors shooting at the cars, you would rather have it detontate behind you then have them come along side your convoy and then blow up

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The type explosives stolen in this case are more specialized in their applications. I don't think you could take all of it and pile it together and do that much damage. But the DETASHEET is potentially more concerning, because it can be cut into strips and used to breach support structures. I believe that's what my contact was referring to about the fact that 250 lbs of the stuff constitutes a lot of damage. Not because of the "power of a single blast", but the multiplicity of precision damage that could result from that much sheet.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I see no reason the public needs to know about this matter. There are explosives available everywhere & if someone has intent to use them for a bad purpose they will, but I doubt this will be the case here.

In the past I had friends who were loggers & stored that crap everywhere including the garage. I had another friend who worked on a road crew & took some home for making fireworks - can you say idiot. I worked at a ski area & had to carry quite a bit of it in my backpack - Had I wanted too I could have pilfered some, but I didn't.

Anyway this story is just propaganda to influence the sheeple - I wouldn't worry too much.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
what bothers me is that they know the amount stolen, but not from where it was stolen.(or who stole it)

Forbes.com

About 150 pounds of commercial plastic explosives has disappeared from a private storage site, along with 2,500 blasting caps and 20,000 feet of explosive detonation cord, authorities said Monday.

[...]

Two containers, both stored inside two bunkers southwest of Albuquerque, were burglarized sometime between Dec. 13 and Sunday, authorities said.

[...]

"Our cause for concern is that these materials are highly energetic, military-style explosives that are not commonly used in commercial industry," said ATF spokesman Tom Mangan.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
alright well now they should figure out how the hell it got stolen. because this definately needs to be known for future purposes

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Update:

The seriousness of this situation is becoming more clear, as well as the seriousness with which the law enforcement community is taking it. It definitely sounds like a professional job.

ABCNews

According to federal officials, the theft of 400 pounds of high-powered plastic explosives in New Mexico is one of the largest high explosives heists in recent history.

The site, located outside Albuquerque, had no guards and no surveillance cameras. It was the site's second theft in the past two years. Thieves apparently used blowtorches to cut through the storage trailers — suggesting they knew what they were after.

Officials say that the amount of stolen explosives would be enough to match the bomb that destroyed the Oklahoma City federal building in 1995 and they do not know who might be responsible.

The stolen goods include 150 pounds of C-4 plastic explosive and 250 pounds of thin sheets of explosives that could be used in letter bombs. Also, 2,500 detonators were missing from a storage explosive container, or magazine, in a bunker owned by Cherry Engineering.

"Believe me, this can cause a catastrophic explosion of unbelievable proportions in the right configuration," said Jack Cloonan, an ABC News consultant and former FBI agent. "So it's very dangerous. We have to find this stuff and find it now."

Google Search

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Please delete

top topics

<<   2 >>

join