It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica was Atlantis

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
it can be true if in the past the earths poles shifted positions and therefor creating a different gravitational flow and that will lead to the flow of our oceans to chance rapidly and the flow chance leaded to a mayor tsunami and cooling chanced because of the gravitational force created by our earth changed and when it happened so quickly that the atmosphere and uper layeres hadden't the time to alter accordingly and there for creating surcumstances which would have lead to rapid freezing temperatures from upper layers to the lower layers freezing the water on antartica to freeze with in minutes.

I don't want to be rude, but very little of the above makes sense from a geological standpoint. Major tsunamis are transient events and cannot affect tectonic activity. At all. As for changes in the poles, this would not have an affect on gravity. And I have no frelling idea what 'gravitational flow' is, so please explain.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Its a possibility antarctica could have been atlantis.But ive read in a book somewhere that theres a chain of islands someplace that keep disapearing and have to be recharted over and over again.I aint sayin its atlantis, just givin it some thought.we may never figure this secret out;it may just be a fairy tale.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Just thought of something else.maybe those islands are the mountain tops of atlantis.or maybe its the azores islands off the coast of portugal.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
As interested in this debate as I am, I really try to stay out of it.
I just want to say two things:
First to outofthesky; don't be so sure that modern-day humas were not around a million years ago (in the lifespan of this world, a million years really is not a lot of time; and also considering that a modern-day human skull was found in the strata of four million years; just something to consider).
Second,
I am absolutely an ancient civilization believer, but keep in mind that there might have been more than one "atlantis" and any society that advanced, would have colonies and/or cities (even "countries") all over the world. They definitely would be in more than one location (look at us today, especially the US; we have colonies all over the world).
To say that "atlantis" (or whatever you want to call it) would only be in one place really limits what you might be willing to believe.
If something does not fit your criteria, change your criteria instead of just saying "oh well, it must not exist".
Ya dig?

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I think it's a time loop or inter-dimensional thing. Maybe even spiritual.
Of course, I don't have one single shred of evidence to back this up,
but I think Atlantis is us - now, or possibly the near future us.
I think if one person has Karma, why not an entire species or planet.
I'ts not too difficult to see how we keep screwing up as a species - wars,
man-made diseases, the relentless pursuit of "stuff",
not giving a damn when half a continent is starving to death and the
other half are wiping themselves out in tribal warfare.

I think we become Atlantis and will become Atlantis again until we learn how
to live for more than just ourselves.
I think we might be getting close to breaking the cycle soon though.
Maybe not in this incarnation of Atlantis, but hopefully the next.

I don't know...just my two cents.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
What is basically boils down to is this;
No one (except maybe the utmost elite) has any real idea where it is, when it was and what really happened.
We can speculate all we want, but the truth is we just don't know.
As corny as it may sound, I really think edgar cayce was on to something.
But he even said that if he could tap into that knowledge, so can anyone.
But I'm getting off the topic.
I definitely believe that there is something very old buried underneath the ice of antarctica, maybe even pre-dating the supposed atlantis timeline (10,000-16,000 bc); but unless we can get actual proof, all we can really do is believe.

ps. has anyone else ever heared of (or seen the supposed pics) of a crystal castle on the moon? (I know that's really not what we're discussing, but it very well may be related).
If there is another thread about that, let me know.
It's freaky.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Wow wu,
Never heard of the crystal cave moon thing, but am very interested in it.

Part of what I was saying matches up very well with what you are saying.
But, morality tales aside, I tend to believe there is some real information in
the Homeric version of this huge, powerful society that bites the dust because
of their various perversions and total disregard of the intended plan.
You can sync that up with us today.
Maybe the Homeric tales are a common mythology - a history of what we are yet
to become?
I REALLY don't know...
I hope some day that we all do...

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I read somwhere that Atlantis was owned by Poseidon.He married Cleito,who was from atlantis(this is from a greek myth).There were many small islands, and one huge island surrounding it.They were said to have stretched from south america to nowaday Portugal.As it turns out, Theres the Azores Islands off Portugal,perhaps the mountaintops of Atlantis.It was IN the ATLANTIC ocean,hence atlantis.NOT ANARCTICA!!!!And on top of all that,myths say that poseidon drowned it because there was a war against Athens, and athens won.poseidon thought that if they were not strong enough to protect themselves, they most likely would not survive.so poseidon drowned them.Forget Antarctica.Forget the South China Sea.Forget Cyprus and Sicily.Those are probably other forgotten and lost cities.there are probably hundreds.Why would Plato have called "the lost city" Atlantis if it weren`t in the ATLANTIC???

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Like I was saying;
you can call it whatever you want.
However, almost every major (and many, many minor) culture from every corner of the earth have a similar story about a massive deluge.
Many of said cultures, claim that their ancestors left this country (that was destroyed by cataclysm) and sailed to higher ground.
This lost land goes by many names (my favorite being aztlan) but if you know your mythology (and not typical greek; those stories came much, much later) there is tons of flood stories.
For example, the epic of gilgamesh (babylonian) tells the story of utanapishtim, who with his wife, was instructed to build a massive ship to survive the upcoming flood.
Similar stories show up in norse, sumerian, south american, north (native) american, eastern europe, indian (india indian) and even tibetan and I believe chinese mythos too.
I do absolutely believe that somewhere in the remote past, there was a world-wide culture that (for whatever reason) was (almost) totally wiped out.
I say (almost) because, obviously, some of these stories survived to the present day.
Besides, all of those plato (playdoh:lol
supporters seem to forget that he was told that story by someone (I believe his name was solon) who heared it in egypt.
Now, I'm sure that back in the day (plato's day, that is) they had lots of those stories.
But it wasn't just plato's (playdoh's:lol
story.
Although, it is the only story that the term "atlantis" is used, but like I said earlier, call it whatever you want.
Besides, it probably wasn't even called "atlantis"; that's just a modern term.
I actually think that they (the greek) called it "poseidia"; after (obviously) poseidon.
If you were to take a good, hard look at all of the megalithic sites all over the world (even in north america and europe); they (or at least most) of them have a similar structure to them.
Of course, not actually having travelled to them, I can only speculate from whatever research that has been readily available.
Although, I'd love to know.
But getting in line with what was stated earlier, spiritualy, we are consistantly in (what's refered to in hinduism) as the kali yuga, the age of anhiliation; which lasts for something like 250,000 years (give or take a few).
So no matter how much we (or our ancestors) accomplish, in the end, it all gets destroyed and nothing is left. (not that I'm trying to depress anyone, or anything
).
It's all good though, it's all just part of the cycle of life/death/rebirth/etc.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Why is so unacceptable to believe the existence of previous civilisation (advance)? I think the're traces allover the world now days. Piramids, strange artifacts, traces of a forgoten technology, etc...
I accept the idea to put your scepticals on when dealing with thing like that but also is imposibble to ignore all the clues and sometime strong facts that something very advanced existed in the past. Read this:

We sometimes treat myths, legends and sagas as an invention. However, if we closely observe the cultural heritage of all people living on the planet we may find out interesting facts. For instance, legends of some people living far from each other often describe the same events, probably with slightest differences but still they are the same. Vladimir Shemshuk, a biologist from the Russian city of Perm studied the peculiarity of the folklore and compared it with the history of the planet.

According to the Bible, the Golden Age of the planet gave place to the Silver Age, then to the Bronze Age which ended in today's Iron Age. We can find the same information in the Veda sources. Legends of American Indians, of African and Australian people say that demigods (Titans) inhabited the planet; then Atlantes came to take their place. When the Atlantes (they were shorter than Titans) died, a civilization of giants was formed, then a boreas civilization appeared. We traditionally consider ancient civilizations as undeveloped and primitive. However, some discoveries reveal that ancient civilizations extracted coal, they had electricity and even produced plastic.

People were tall like giants in the ancient biosphere. All ancient written sources that are available now mention giants. It gives every reason to believe that giants were actually living on the planet in the ancient times. This fact explains why huge constructions (giant dolmens, 20-meter fortress walls and other giant buildings) appeared on the planet.

Five figures made of stone were discovered in a village not far from Kabul; they were 2, 6, 18, 38 and 54 meters tall. The locals cannot say how the statues appeared in the place; they suppose that the figures are guards protecting the village. According to Vladimir Shemshuk, the height of every of the statues corresponds to the natural height of people belonging to the previous civilization and to the modern one...

[color=read]LINK

If this one is just a crapy story for some of you, then what do you make out of this that comes from a NASA picture?

The NASA Shuttle has imaged a mysterious ancient bridge between India and Sri Lanka, as mentioned in the Ramayana.

The evidence, say experts matter-of-factly, is in the Digital Image Collection.

The recently discovered bridge, currently named as Adam's Bridge and made of a chain of shoals, 30 km long, in the Palk Straits between India and Sri Lanka, reveals a mystery behind it.

The bridge's unique curvature and composition by age reveals that it is man-made. Legend as well as Archeological studies reveal that the first signs of human inhabitants in Sri Lanka date back to the primitive age, about 1,750,000 years ago and the bridge's age is also almost equivalent.

Space images taken by NASA reveal a mysterious ancient bridge in the Palk Strait between India and Sri Lanka. The recently discovered bridge currently named as Adam's Bridge is made of chain of shoals, c.18 mi (30 km) long.

The bridge's unique curvature and composition by age reveals that it is man made. The legends as well as Archeological studies reveal that the first signs of human inhabitants in Sri Lanka date back to the a primitive age, about 1,750,000 years ago and the bridge's age is also almost equivalent. (Image: NASA Digital Image Collection.)...

NASA Discovers 1,750,000-Year-Old "Ramayana" Bridge Between India and Sri Lanka

And then are other artifacts found which puzzles all the scientists:

500,000 Year Old Spark Plug?

Or this other one : Prehistoric Moon Map Unearthed

I mean are so many clues guys that something way more advance then we think existed in remote past of our planet history.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Wow Wu!
Once again, SCADS of great info!
I especially like this reference: But getting in line with what was stated earlier, spiritualy, we are consistantly in (what's refered to in hinduism) as the kali yuga, the age of anhiliation; which lasts for something like 250,000 years (give or take a few).
I think, at least to my western mind, it's so easy to forget about our brothers in India and S.E.A with their incredibly rich and ancient cultural heritage.
I still think my theory on Atlantis is closest (for now..who knows? it's starting to sound sorta like the "fluffy" Kali Yuga thing), but you have given me something to really chew on and think about, so, thank you for that

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Dude!
That's totally Rama's bridge!
Freakin' sweet!
From the moment I read the Ramayana, I totally believed!
And according to my research (well, not mine exactly, I just read the stuff, I didn't print it) the story of Rama is something like a million years old (which I totally believe!).
That is so cool!

Anywhoo, please excuse my excitement!
But I do agree with some of what you said. (which agrees with some of what I said, now we've come full circle:lol
Seriously, this is some serious stuff (I know I said serious twice, but I really wanted to drive the point home).

To triptrippington:
You're totally welcome.
But I have a question;
what did you mean by "fluffy"?
(I used to be a big fan of marshmallow fluff, but I doubt that's what you mean:lol

[edit on 29-5-2006 by wu kung]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Wu,
No idea where "fluffy" came from - sorry, I wish it had a great story behind it, but it was just me typing with two fingers and cursing the computor machine

However, that sat photo has me thinking even more now..you seemed to know about this bridge straight away - is this a part of some ancient text? Ramayana? (forgive the spelling) I've always meant to read it and others as well...where is the best place for an occidental mind to start?

[edit on 29-5-2006 by triptrippington]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wu kung
Dude!
That's totally Rama's bridge!
Freakin' sweet!
From the moment I read the Ramayana, I totally believed!
And according to my research (well, not mine exactly, I just read the stuff, I didn't print it) the story of Rama is something like a million years old (which I totally believe!).

1.75 million years old to be correct

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Yeah, I'll give you a quick rundown.
When Ravanna (a demon-god who was immune to the attacks of any god) kidnapped Sita (Rama's woman); he took her to his stronghold; located on the island of Lanka (or sri lanka, ceylon, whatever).
In order to reach the island, Rama had Sugriva (the king of monkeys) and Hanuman (the best of monkeys; who is similar to Sun Wu Kung [the monkey king in chinese mythos; and my name sake]) enlist all of the monkeys in the kingdom (along with Jambavan the bear king and his bear army) build an enormous bridge from mainland India to Lanka. Because of the sheer number of monkeys helping and the quickness of their work, they built the bridge in something like two days (if I remember correctly).
It was then when Rama was able to lay siege to Ravanna's castle.
Rama was supposed to be one of the mortal incarnations of Vishnu (the supreme deity; also called Narayana, Brahma and Shiva; they're all one).
But yeah, it's an awesome story.
After the dynastic struggle (I love that term); Rama then ruled his kingdom for 10,000 years but banished Sita (this is the part that I hate but it just goes to show you that any deity, in mortal form is subject to mortal failings) because there were rumors of her infedelities while accosted in Ravana's castle (again, I really dislike this part of the story because after all of the heroism and honor Rama displayed, he acts like a total chump).
At the end of his rule, (again there are different versions) he marched (and almost all of his people followed him) into the water and drowned himself (and his people too).
But he did have two sons, supposedly (like all the jesus rumors) allowing his bloodline to survive to this very day.
There is a great version written by William Buck, although, there is countless versions available, this was probably my favorite.

To Telos:
Yeah, 1.75 million, got ya

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Thanks Wu

I'm still not quite sure how this all ties into Atlantis - other than maybe the Mu mythos, which I believe is the same story told by different (read older) folk.
But I am thrilled to learn about this new twist (at least to me) and will be hitting the library first thing tomorrow!
You are truly one of the reasons why ATS is not only the best site for conspiracy info, but for just information in general

Thanks

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
You're quite welcome.
But yeah, I totally got off the topic.
But, being that the story of Rama is really old, it just goes to show that Atlantis is not the only "ancient" civilization.
Actually, I've even read stories about the "Rama Empire" (which came after the rule of Rama but used his name in memorium) warring with the "Atlan Empire" (the empire of...[drum role please] Atlantis!).
There were stories about how the Atlan Empire employed advanced technology where as the Rama Empire took a more spiritual path.
However, they fought and many people died.
There is even speculation that this is the reason that those societies were wiped out, but your guess is as good as mine.
At any rate, to stay on the original topic, I do not believe that Antarctica is the site of the original Atlantis (a little bit of saving grace there, just to stay on topic
).

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I agree with the thread starter. I think Atlantis is most like Antarctica.

I will say is that if there was interesting technology there discovered in the 1940s then it would explain the massive advancement technolgically in the past century.
But thats obviously wildy speculative.
There was a program Stargate Atlantis or something, and if i remember Atlantis was the bottom of the ice in that program. I remember ice anyway. But no thats no why i think Antarctica is Atlantis

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Well, let's put fictional tv aside for a moment;
generally speaking, the rate at which (theoretically) technology advances is made not by slow and steady progression, but by leaps and bounds.
If it did move at a slow pace, we'd still be using horse buggies and thinking that disease is caused by evil spirits.
But there is definitely something underneath the ice, considering antarctica has the least amount of snowfall (per sq mile in that part of the world) per year yet has the highest accumulation of ice.
Not to mention all of the strange magnetic and radio-wave anomolies detected in that area.
Also, don't forget lake Vostok which has an unusually high amount of geothermal activity.
But to associate something like that, with a tv program, well, it saps the validity of this discussion and makes us all look like (sci-fi fanboy) crackpots.
(no offense, seriously).
But the only thing that will quell this discussion, is physical proof.
Does anyone out there have any links to real sattelite imaging or anything that could be considered tangible proof?
Along those same lines, does anyone have any actual proof (since I am a believer, I'd love to see it as much as the next person) about sunken continents or anything along those lines?
Unfortunately, without proof, it's all speculation.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by wu kung
But there is definitely something underneath the ice, considering antarctica has the least amount of snowfall (per sq mile in that part of the world) per year yet has the highest accumulation of ice.

?????

Obvioulsy snowfall rates vary across the continienet, due to proximity to coasts, altitude, etc. The McMurdo Dry Valleys are entirely ice free due to lack of precipitation.

However, other areas see considerable snowfall every year.

And when ice has had 35 million years to accumulate, you don't actually need that much annually to build up a pretty thick ice sheet.....

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join