It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica was Atlantis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I belive that Atlantis could have been part of the Bahames there are small islands but remeber through time the lands broke up or it could be in the Antartica who knows what is bin under the see on this planet for a long time

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
One mammoth - that at Berezoyka - has been found with minute traces of buttercup (a plant currently common in arctic places like Svalbard) in its stomach. It died 39,000 years ago, apparently as a result of a fall (it had a broken leg and pelvis) and was immediately buried by debris which, being as the climate was subzero at the time, and permafrost has persisted there ever since, preserved the body.

Meanwhile, how does your scenario explain the presence of ice sheets covering most of Antarctica for the last few million years? Or, indeed, the ice sheets which waxed and waned across N America abnd Scandinavia over the past 100,000 years?

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
soz about that i wer usin an example

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Is it true that Atlantis had golden citys

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If you do the jigsaw puzzle thing with the continents, like the east coast of South America fits into the west coast of Africa, and take the coastal outline of Antarctica, it seems possible to me that when Pangea broke up, Antarctica spun clockwise out of the area that is now the Indian Ocean/Arabian Sea with an anchor point near the tip of South America. Australia and India broke off, and the pressure of the shift created the Himalayas and the volcanism that created Indonesia and the surrounding environs.

Before plate techtonics came in vogue with the teachings of Tanya Atwater and others like her, such jigsaw games were considered child's play. Now they are mainstream science, explaining the evolution of the geology of our planet. That just goes to show that what was yesterday's ridicule can be tomorrow's answer to our deepest questions about ourselves.

But was Antarctica Atlantis? I'd have to give that a well considered maybe.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The landscape of the earth has had some major changes one example,Death Valley in California was once an ocean,so possibly Antartica was a vast civilization at one time,I've read of some anomoly's there cities etc,but according to Plato things don't add up,could Atlantis be a story,could be the phrase,never let the truth get in the way of a good story,all is based on speculation,my theory anyway,I'm old but not that old

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by benz1234
Is it true that Atlantis had golden citys

When I find it I'll let you know

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I admittedly did not read through the thread, so I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but I read somewhere that they believe Atlantis is in the South China Sea. They say that the South China Sea is a true sunken continent, that sank down (actually it stayed stationary and everything around ti rose up they say) and filled with water. There were a bunch of other reasons from that other article I read that say it should be there as well. Just wondering if anyone ever considered that area.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Why is it that what Plato said in the Timaeus and Critias about Atlantis, always is being misconstrued and is somehow completely ignored? Plato's dialouges are the only sources from which we've obtained any information about the lost continent and yet people continually ignore every specific detail of it's location. If Plato heard some of the idiotic things that people have come up with, he'd slap them himself!

*LISTEN* Plato's dialouge's are the ONLY true source of the story of Atlantis. FORGET the Mediterranean, FORGET the South China Sea, FORGET Antartica. If Atlantis exsists, it would be located somewhere in the Atlantic (hence the name Atlantis.)

ummm...DUH!

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Yeah, but when up is down, east is west, too. So depending on what time frame we are talking for the existence of the place, polar shifts and continental drift may have skewed things a bit. Isn't that possible?

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Yeah, but when up is down, east is west, too. So depending on what time frame we are talking for the existence of the place, polar shifts and continental drift may have skewed things a bit. Isn't that possible?

Sure but here's the problem with your theory...
The last magnetic shift in poles happened 74,000 years ago. The earliest Plato dates Atlantis to is around 10,000 B.C.. Even with continental drift we're talking about some major drifting in order for that to even be possible and there is good documentation that the continents did not drift far enough for that to be plausable.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Do you give the misplaced decimal theory any credence? That was mentioned earlier in the thread, and if Plato was talking about a time 100K years in the past, that would allow time for the shift to occur. I'm not saying that is what happened , just there may be more confusion on the location than Plato's writings might indicate, once all the variables are sorted out.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nichole

Originally posted by Icarus Rising

Sure but here's the problem with your theory...
The last magnetic shift in poles happened 74,000 years ago. The earliest Plato dates Atlantis to is around 10,000 B.C.. Even with continental drift we're talking about some major drifting in order for that to even be possible and there is good documentation that the continents did not drift far enough for that to be plausable.

Nichole,
Thank God somebody else around here realizes how badly Plato has been warped and twisted by these hard-core Atlantis heads. That being said, I believe you've dropped a zero from your date for the last pole-flip (closer to 800,000 years ago.) Also, the movement of the geomagnetic pole orientation has nothing whatever to do with plate tectonics (continental drift). So that information is immaterial anyway.

Lastly, the comment made here concerning how maybe Plato left a zero off his date for Atlantis amused me to no end, considering that the opposite is the usual argument, that is, that Plato added too many zeroes.

Moreover, 100,000 years is not even close to being enough time for the movement of the continents described here that enable Antarctica to be Atlantis. Not only that, but one would have to postulate that the Egyptians had been around for that long as well, according to Plato. Are we ready to try to defend that view? What are we, Crystalinks?

Harte

[edit on 2/21/2006 by Harte]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Greetings Fellow Believers,

Three years ago, Art Bell interviewed someone who was also searching for Atlantis and found it. Ancient Pheonician maps of the coast of Antartica clearly showed the location of "a city". However, this investigator wasn't the only one to find it. The Nazis were.

Hitler was obsessed with finding Atlantis. He sent his acolytes all over the Earth searching for this fabled city. When Berlin fell, the Allies discovered that Germany had established a base in Antartica.

According to the investigator interviewed by Art Bell, The United States and Russia took over the German base. They discovered an ice bore many thousands of feet deep. Sounding and magnometers showed a large retangular structure, approximately the size of Los Angeles, about ten thousand feet below.

The ice bore was completed by U.S. and Russian scientists over fifty years ago. Since then, they have occupied and explored what has been believed to be Atlantis.

And the story gets weirder.

Two years ago, you may recall the scientist in Anatartica who desperately needed medical attention, and had to be flown out during Antartica's winter. What wasn't commonly known (also courtesy and kudos to Art Bell's show) is that four C-130 transports flew down and evacuated the U.S. and Russian bases.

Curiouser and curiouser. A truck driver called Art Bell and said that he drove several cargo containers between Denver International Airport and Peterson Airforce Base. He said he didn't know what was in the containers, but that he knew they came off of one of the C-130s that evacuated the scientists.

Connnecting the dots took away the mystery of the existence of Atlantis. However, something VERY BIG has happened recently down there.

Any thoughts fellow believers?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This excerpt is certainly intriguing.'
'In a brief announcment today, NASA and the JPL terminated all further study of Lake Vostok in S. Antarctica. In an apparent slip of confidentiality, spokeswoman Debra Shingteller alluded to "National Security Issues" allowing the NSA to assume full control of what had been an International effort to explore a huge, under-ice lake near the Russian Vostok research station.'

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   

With all of the mysteries being presented to us--you would expect the discovery of Atlantis to take some of the mysteries away. What confounds me is "why" the NSA moved into the base after the scientists were evacuated.

I can't fathom what artifact was found that created such a monumental panic.

I could speculate: the crates contained statues made by Atlantean artisans that would either depict what they looked like: quite alien indeed.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
You all forget that if Plato's Atlantis existed, there must also have been an Athens for them to be at war with, and defeated by.

Anyone know of some 10,000 year old ruins under Athens? Or any where in Greece? No, thought not....

Thus, logically we must conclude that Plato either made the whole thing up or he was describing events in that occurred much more recently than when he says.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jack of Scythes

Three years ago, Art Bell interviewed someone who was also searching for Atlantis and found it. Ancient Pheonician maps of the coast of Antartica clearly showed the location of "a city". However, this investigator wasn't the only one to find it. The Nazis were.

Hitler was obsessed with finding Atlantis. He sent his acolytes all over the Earth searching for this fabled city. When Berlin fell, the Allies discovered that Germany had established a base in Antartica.

According to the investigator interviewed by Art Bell, The United States and Russia took over the German base. They discovered an ice bore many thousands of feet deep. Sounding and magnometers showed a large retangular structure, approximately the size of Los Angeles, about ten thousand feet below.

The ice bore was completed by U.S. and Russian scientists over fifty years ago. Since then, they have occupied and explored what has been believed to be Atlantis.

And the story gets weirder.

Two years ago, you may recall the scientist in Anatartica who desperately needed medical attention, and had to be flown out during Antartica's winter. What wasn't commonly known (also courtesy and kudos to Art Bell's show) is that four C-130 transports flew down and evacuated the U.S. and Russian bases.

Curiouser and curiouser. A truck driver called Art Bell and said that he drove several cargo containers between Denver International Airport and Peterson Airforce Base. He said he didn't know what was in the containers, but that he knew they came off of one of the C-130s that evacuated the scientists.

Connnecting the dots took away the mystery of the existence of Atlantis. However, something VERY BIG has happened recently down there.

Any thoughts fellow believers?

Well, obviously they didn't want us to know about the Go'auld attack

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I saw a documentory on Discovery Civilisation where this guy has all the overwhelming evidance that Atlantis is actually in THE ANDES of all places. Which sounds bizzare and you could just dismiss it but.......

This history site fit exactly all the geometric measurements recored by Platu including the bend on the cost where it changes direction. The city was meant to be surounded by water in a circle and there is supporting evidance that a round wall has been built in the past of the exact diameter stated by platu. There is a huge stone like a gateway containing an astrological clock experts belive date back to 10,500 BC.

These people built huge boats out of reed and traveled on a trading root which explains how Equptian mummies where wrapped up in traces of coke and tobbaco which is from the AMERICAS and this has confused historians and Egyptologists for quite some time now. The Natives of Peru still build these boats today and say they learnt this from the Ancestors who they also claim are the ATLANTIANS due to folk stories passed down from generation to generation.

I will come back with more details on the programm. It absoloutly convinced me that this guy may have at last found the real think. Much of it is now under water and divers have been trying to save what they can to get more evidance!

Even if this is not the Atlantians we are searching for, so far it is said that this is the OLDEST CIVILISATION EVER FOUND SO FAR

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
This excerpt is certainly intriguing.'
'In a brief announcment today, NASA and the JPL terminated all further study of Lake Vostok in S. Antarctica. In an apparent slip of confidentiality, spokeswoman Debra Shingteller alluded to "National Security Issues" allowing the NSA to assume full control of what had been an International effort to explore a huge, under-ice lake near the Russian Vostok research station.'

www.abovetopsecret.com...

While making contact with the spirit world (I know this sounds weird but I am a medium) I was given the word CARA as in NOT A NAME! I researched what this meant and I was shocked to find this link below because most of my information was on the topic of the universe and scientific information.

astro.uchicago.edu...

It was all about the study programmes carried out by scientists in the hope of understand how we even came to exsist. Now this was not just any old co-incidence it was very relevant to my communications.

I was given the word VEVA at the same time. This turned out to be atmospheric experiments to be made on planet Venus.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join