It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The respected Iranian President bans western music.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

TEHRAN, Iran - Hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has banned Western music from Iran's radio and TV stations, reviving one of the harshest cultural decrees from the early days of 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Songs such as George Michael's "Careless Whisper," Eric Clapton's "Rush" and the Eagles' "Hotel California" have regularly accompanied Iranian broadcasts, as do tunes by saxophonist Kenny G.

But the official IRAN Persian daily reported Monday that Ahmadinejad, as head of Iran's Supreme Cultural Revolutionary Council, ordered the enactment of an October ruling by the council to ban Western music.

"Blocking indecent and Western music from the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting is required," according to a statement on the council's official Web site.

Ahmadinejad's order means the IRIB must execute the decree and prepare a report on its implementation within six months, according to the newspaper.

"This is terrible," said Iranian guitarist Babak Riahipour, whose music was played occasionally on state radio and TV. "The decision shows a lack of knowledge and experience."

Music was outlawed as un-Islamic by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini soon after the revolution. But as the fervor of the revolution started to fade, light classical music was allowed on radio and television. Some public concerts reappeared in the late 1980s.

It looks almost like we are back in the 80s again.
Who is he exactly trying to please? The Ayatollahs or the people of Iran?

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I don't think he's trying to please anyone but himself, really.

This guy's a real piece of work. I can only guess that this move (and the other crazy things he's saying lately) is about power. About feeling the power he has as the president. It's clear he feels threatened by what he sees as the invasion of Western ideals.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I am sorry, but this surprises who?

This comes from the man who has said,

Israel will be wiped off the map,
The holocaust never happened,
Israel should be moved to Europe.

Personally I see it as a continuing effort to get Iran read for war. War with Israel, war with the US.

This can come in both direct combat as well as indirect ( supplying men/ equipment and money), but not directly doing it or at least denying it.

Tuk

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I don't understand, i would have thought that Iranian president would have more sense..

What ever support Iran had outside fundamentalistic islamic world is probably fading faster and faster..

Iran's governement is basically asking for someone to come and remove them from power. Maybe that's the plan.

I wonder who's first. People of Iran or some other nation..

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Hmm sounds like a good idea to me.. Pretty sensible in banning the music... Look and learn don't be bias, be open minded! I think more influence of arabic music, etc, will be good.

There's a move right now to reduce the amount of america content in both music and film, in other countries

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by crusader
Hmm sounds like a good idea to me.. Pretty sensible in banning the music... Look and learn don't be bias, be open minded! I think more influence of arabic music, etc, will be good.

He might ban Arabic music too.
They have a problem with Arabic separatists in Iran so he may want to get rid of any Arabic cultural influences.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Ace of Base, Nah I don't think so, to an extent, music like that sexy lebanese singer, I forgot her name... might be banned... But not the traditional arabic music, do u find anything wrong with him banning this music?

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
He's banning George Michael and Kenny G. and this is supposed to whip us Americans up into a war fervor? I'd say that's a guy we could work with.

Why is garbage like this even being reported? What's the point?

Peace

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
deltaboy: why do you care so much ?. After all is HE is the President and can do what he likes. I'd MUCH RATHER never hear MTV dribble eva again then say have bush has authorized NSA to spy on Americans.
Why do people care what Iran President is doing when the US's President is hands down THE WORST EVA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 19-12-2005 by helium3]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by helium3
deltaboy: why do you care so much ?. After all is HE is the President and can do what he likes. I'd MUCH RATHER never hear MTV dribble eva again then say have bush has authorized NSA to spy on Americans.
Why do people care what Iran President is doing when when there own is THE WORST !!!!!!!!!!!!!

...because music represents true freedom.
I just cant contain myself on this one.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Unfortunately, little peices of garbage usually add up to a big pile of crap.
It would seem the Iranian people have a terrorist in their mist. Not to disagree with you on the music choice Dr. Strangelove, now banning Steely Dan would be cause for rebellion

This president is taking the country on a road to regression, hopefully the people of Iran have better sense than that. Banning Western music and other influences is just a small part of the foundation this man wants to achieve. Plant a seed and watch it grow. Someone should rip the rug out from under this joker before he takes his magic carpet too far.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
[

...because music represents true freedom.
I just cant contain myself on this one.

If music represents true freedom why did they close down countless System of the down free concerts ?
Or consitently badger rage against the machine to the point of breaking up ?. So having all your civil rigths stripped does not bother you. But on the other hand when a president of a foreign country bans western music thats the straw that broke the camels back ? Like i said put all your energy into how your president is screwing you.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by helium3]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

But on the other hand when a president of a foreign country bans western music thats the straw that broke the camels back ? Like i said put all your energy into how your president is screwing you.

pffff....
Yeah like Bush wants to ban music from the outside world. And about downloading free music, thats music companies who are losing money. Not about Bush.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I really feel sorry for you deltaboy.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I really feel sorry for you deltaboy.

Dont be. You should know I hate sympathies.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Why do people care what Iran President is doing when the US's President is hands down THE WORST EVA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you would complain about Bush being an Islamaphobic tyrant if he ever banned Arabic music from being played in the US so why don't you have the same feeling when a person in Iran does something similar?

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Because western music nowadays is fill with Filth!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
He won't be in charge for very long!

He's a nut. He's a throwback and the young adults of Iran
won't put up with it. 'The more Westernized the better' as far
as they are concerned. I don't think he'll be in office long.
Either some Western nation will take him out, or the people
of Iran will.

Don't try taking away Rock n Roll once it's in your soul ...
They would much rather have U2 and Coldplay than that
wing nut be incharge getting them into a war with Israel.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
crusader, is beethoven or bach, filth too? and if iranians like filth its their choice.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

I'm sure you would complain about Bush being an Islamaphobic tyrant if he ever banned Arabic music from being played in the US so why don't you have the same feeling when a person in Iran does something similar?

hmmmmm bush does not need to ban Arabic music to be seen as a Islamaphobic tyrant
. Rember this is the same bush who's grandaddy funded HITLER !!!.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join