It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will history judge Nixon differently ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Given recent events you have to wonder what former members of the Nixon admin will be thinking.
Why is it ok for Bush to spy on people illegaly but not Nixon?
I suspect Nixon was a victim of 60s idealism as much as he was of his own misdeeds.
Will history look upon the Nixon admin in a kinder light?
Are we saying the death of ideaslim?
Or is the bredding ground being planted for another 60s hippe generation?

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It would definitely depend upon which facet of the Nixon legacy is examined. His views on foreign policy during the cold war were spot on for the most part. Domestically now, that's a whole 'nother critter indeed. The motives behind his spying were to keep tabs on his perceived enemies in the civil rights movement, and the anti-vietnam crowd.
The Bush spying seems to more limited in scope, and only on calls from suspected, and/or documented terrorists abroad.
Nixon's legacy will be that of a deeply flawed man who rose to power, and let the power go to his head.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I would change Nixon for Bush every day. At least he had a brain, and besides Watergate there is really not much bad things one can say about his presidency.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the replys. We have no way of knowing for sure that Bush isnt spying on the dems and the current crop of anti war protestes. If the Bush admin has the same attitude as its supportes it would give Americans a reason to be very concerned about the Bush admin actions.

It seems very likely to me that Bush has or is abusing the power of the oval office of course that is just a guess based on logic.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I don't think Watergate will be the hinging point to declare whether Nixon was a good or bad president in textbooks. What will be the deciding factor is that he ended America's involvement in the Vietnam War. Just you wait and see....in 30 years.

new topics

top topics

join