It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A strange sensation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Hello everyone, this is my first post on ATS but I have long been lurking this site, and I absolutely love the open mindedness and honesty shown by most of the regulars here.

I wish to share my story with you all and ask for your opinions, it was a regular school night like any other back in the winter of 03 when I was still a Sophmore in Highschool. I had finished with my studies for the night, and decided to hit the hay for some well deserved sleep.

This is where it gets bizzare, and the part that distrubs/intrigues me the most. I honestly dont know if this should be here or even possibly in the UFO section, but here it goes. As I lay down, I began to nod off. Little did I expect to feel what I did, my description: Pins and Needles, Of the whole body. I then began to see an array of colors, followed by what seemed to be a screen of small red dots blurring my vision.

Perhaps what frightened me the most, although I felt no real pain throughout the experience, was my inability to move at all, Complete paralysis. Even stranger however, was the what I said to myself, and this is genuinely the first time I can think of this ever happening to me, but I couldn't help but think Oh no, not again.

How could I think that? I had never felt that before, unless whatever it was was going on without my knowledge. Throughout the whole ordeal I continued to tell myself Dont give in, not this time, fight it. I honestly don't know where to begin with this, but it would not be the first time this would happen to me, although the later experiences were no where near as intense as my first.

I guess what scared me the most, although I must admit now I far more intrigued than frightened, was the thought running through my head: Oh no, not again.

Any opinions or thoughts? Im looking forward to the honest responses Ive come to expect from the ATS community, and I look forward to contributing more in the future!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Now, this is just my opinion, from your description you just experienced a phenomena called sleep paralysis which basically inhibits your ability to move. Now if you do not mind, I have have a couple of questions:

1.) Did it feel as if you were having difficulties breathing?
2.) Did it feel as if there was a light or heavy pressure on your chest or any other part of your body?

To explain your rather bizarre reaction to the sleep paralysis, it was possible that at the last second you remembered this same exact occurance happening to your earlier before. I, myself, have experienced sleep paralysis numerous amounts of times and when I would wake up that morning I would not be able to recall anything that had happened during the night. But a few days/weeks later when I would be in my bed about to drift off I would actually remember what happened.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I will have to agree with majestic, this sounds like sleep paralysis.
When I have this happen to me I always feel like there is "something" else there with me, observing me, sometimes feels like it is holding me down, even though I never see anything. Have you had this experience also Conquistadork?

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
It is actually a proven phenomenon that some people experience paralysis just before falling into REM sleep, or shortly after.
Sleep paralysis
New Age Explanaition
Study

It is quite unnerving, and very scary...but it can be proven to happen and not mean you have been abducted...
if that is what you were going for.
Wikipedia

Edit to add Wiki's link.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by Rouschkateer]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Sleep paralysis is a very frightening experience like Rouschkateer had stated, mainly because you have a sickening sense of dread.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I have gotten the sleep paralysis prescription before, but for some reason I could never settle for that being the real cause. As per your questions, I had never felt any sort of pressure or trouble breathing, rather the contrary, as if the bed was swpt out from under me, even though it was still visibly there.

Dust, it certainly did feel as if something was there with me, and Im sorry for failing to mention that! It felt as if whatever "It" was that it was doing this to me, for what reason I don't know.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Did you read any of the links?

Accompanying hallucinations

Many report hallucinations during episodes of sleep paralysis. The features of these hallucinations generally vary by individual, but some are more common to the experience than others:

Most common

Vividness
Fear

Common

Sensing a "presence" (often malevolent)
Pressure/weight on body (especially the chest). See for example the painting in the begining of this article, which is due to this phenomenon.
Impending sense of doom/death

Fairly common

Auditory hallucinations (often footsteps or indistinct voices, or pulsing noises). Auditory hallucinations which are described as noise instead of hallucinations of legible sounds, are often described to be similar to auditory hallucinations caused by Nitrous Oxide by persons who have experienced both.
Visual hallucinations such as people or shadows walking around the room

Less common

Floating sensation (sometimes associated with out-of-body experiences)
Seemingly seamless transition into full hallucinations or dreaming, also associated with out-of-body experiences
Tactile hallucinations (such as a hand touching or grabbing)

Rare

Falling sensation
Vibration

from Wiki

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Possibly a combination of sleep paralysis and astral projection? You said that it felt that the bed was being swept from under you, did you happen to feel as if you were in a state of free fall?

And to answer the sensation that someone was present with you, a short but sweet Wikipedia entry en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
You guys have been absolutely amazing with your responses and findings. I read everything you have provided me with Rouschkateer, along with the others, and it has been very informative. I suppose it could be a severe form of sleep paralysis, going by the description.

It seems I was looking for something a little more out of this world, my imagination tends to run wild, but you have all been a very great help, thanks for easing my mind!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
If it happens more than once I would certainly see my doctor about it. Once is weird, but more than that may mean a serious sleep disturbance. I would do it just to be on the safe side.

And my mea cupla is to always try to prove one way or another that things have a perfectly logical explanaition for them. I wish that could always be the case. Don't be "too" quick to disregard other aspects of this phenomenon. I'm just saying paralysis is easy and quick to explain.

Happy sleeping!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
If you are a very superstitious person like me and want to take an entire paranormal approach to it, then I would completely AVOID some of those steps in the article to halt sleep paralysis happening again:

* Sleeping in a supine position (facing upwards)
* Irregular sleeping schedules; naps, sleeping in
* Increased stress
* Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes

Other than that, glad to be of assistence.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by Majestic12]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
oh hey Conquistadork, I also wanted to welcome you to ATS but forgot to in my last post, this is a great community to be a part of!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DustintheWind
oh hey Conquistadork, I also wanted to welcome you to ATS but forgot to in my last post, this is a great community to be a part of!

Yes, it really is, I doubt theres any other place on the web that you can openly speak of your fears and thoughts without being ridiculed and made a fool of!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Well I have to thank Rouschkateer because I am going to be thinking about that horrifying painting "The Nightmare" for the rest of the night.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
One thing that disturbs me about the sleep paralysis theory is that its all neatly bunched up and tied with a pretty ribbon. Many experience this prescence and some the force of being ripped from their bodies. Oh dear, nothing new here, move along now its JUST sleep paralysis.

I don't think so, I really think there is more to this than a simple sleep paralysis explanation can provide. I think it has been provided to stop from further questioning and deeper research.

Since i have been on the forum for nigh on a year now, I have read probably nearly 40 or 50 stories here of different members experiencing this phenomena. I too have had my own experiences with this as has my eldest offspring. Mine has been accompanied by other 'weird events" of which I wont detail but suffice to say, the sleep paralysis package does not cut the mustard for me.

I think the sleep paralysis theory is a conspiracy to keep seekers from a deeper truth. Now I havent quite figured out that deeper truth yet but I feel it has something to do with an energy we contain that we are taught not to use or examine as part of societies control upon us. I don't doubt it is a paralysis, you just can't move yet you are fully aware. But just sleep paralysis does not answer it.

I'd love to see ats do a research project using members on the sleep paralysis phenomena to see what correlations and similiarities ats can come up with. It bears deeper research, there is something there. It happens to too many of us for there not to be. Go to a doctor and they explain it away as sleep paralysis, you mind accepts that as it's the easy out. But its not there is more. Theres the OBE angle, the visible yellow or white light source, voices heard in distance and more. But what is it, because of this 'oh don't worry its just sleep paralysis' explanation we are not greatly moved to go deeper and find out more of what this phenomena really is.

why is it that ATS members have this occur, I don't see it on other forums on the net yet I do see it in forums like this where people are searching for deeper and meaningful answers. seekers of truth or whatever you want to call it. I don't see this happening to mainstream, but yet i do see it in people that see a little more left of centre, that may be called odd by other, ask around, ask everyone and find out just who this does happen to, does it happen to Joe Blow Computer geek, does it happen to prom queen, does it happen to sports jock, or does it just happen to seekers like we find here on ATS?

So what I am basically saying is don't accept explanations that dont quite fit the box. Search deeper, be that seeker.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic12
Well I have to thank Rouschkateer because I am going to be thinking about that horrifying painting "The Nightmare" for the rest of the night.

Oops! That certainly wasn't my intent! Now if you excuse me, I am going to go Google for the painting, since it does not ring a bell.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The painting is rather a disturbing piece of artwork that is one to the more classical representations of sleep paralysis. In both versions there is an imp like creature resting on the chest of a sleeping maiden accompanied by a hellish looking mare. Not the image you should be viewing at midnight.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Oddly enough, I think that painting is on the Wikipedia site. If that is the case, then I understand completely why it is unnerving. Not a pretty sight to see.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
"I don't see this happening to mainstream, but yet i do see it in people that see a little more left of centre, that may be called odd by other, ask around, ask everyone and find out just who this does happen to, does it happen to Joe Blow Computer geek, does it happen to prom queen, does it happen to sports jock, or does it just happen to seekers like we find here on ATS?" -Mayat

I found that Mainstream is more into, Music, Fashion, Politics ect. They couldn't care less if someone had a 'Nightmare' and would explain it away as such. It sometimes frustrates me, when I talk about my Ideals, and people make the face that says, "Nucking Futs". Though I feel everyone has that Curiousity in them, to explore within themselves. We just need to give them time to realize that there is more than physical things to explore. Some of them just don't care. Some of them secretly do so, infact. The person that posted this thread, might be a Sports Jock, who secretly has an infatuation with the paranormal (I don't know why I use that term, I see it as perfectly Normal. Just not Common). Truth is, that everyone probably experiences Sleep Paralysis. Only Amnesia gets in the way. And now I just feel like I'm rambling so I'm going to leave in mid thought.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm not a sports jock per say, I did wrestle for a few years, but Im your typical college student - with an avid love for video games

I had never went out of my way to search for the paranormal, but I had always been open minded about it. It wasn't until I first ran into this board that I really got interested in it and began seeing other possibilities to some of the things I've experienced in life but couldn't explain/understand.

I wholely agree with you however - people, like myself, just need to be given time, to realize that there is more than what we now out there, waiting to be found and understood

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join