It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the allure of firearms?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Most men here on ATS like their guns, including my self, but I never was that interested in it a long time ago, atleast not as interested as I am now.

A) Is it because they kill?
B) Is it because they look cool?
C) Is is because target shooting/hunting/plinking is so fun?
D) Because self-defense is so important to us?
E) Because we are expecting and/or are paranoid about an enemy invading, foreign or domestic.
F Because it makes us feel safe?

It's more or less just my self wondering why I liked them, but since others like it, i'd like to know why they like them so much? can anyone give a straight anwer about why guns have such an allure, something that can facinate so much?

Guns interest me alot more than any blunt weapons, edged weapons,
and other crude projectile weapons such as crossbows.

I do enjoy the bang, the recoil and the firepower, being able to fire mutliple rounds in a relatively short time.

Is it maybe because of hollywood sensationalizing them? maybe it's videogames?

I just go really excited when I fired a semi-auto .22LR rifle and see all the brass getting ejected and actually hearing my rounds make that familiar ricochet sound (Pee-choo!).

So again, what do YOU like about guns?

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
IMHO, all you posted plus they are powerful phallic symbols and I love the smell of gun oil...

ps--i am female...

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I have never seen the allure of a real gun. Frankly they scare the crap out of me because there are so many floating around and owned by people who have never learned how to use them properly or safely. I am one of the people who have never learned to use them safely so I stay away from them. If I had taken the proper lessons for hunting and shooting then maybe I would feel differently. Put me in a video game and I love shooting the crap out of anything and everything. So I must be a bit two faced.
If you know how to use a gun, and use it for hunting or target practice on a range, and keep it safely i.e. locked when not in use and have ammo locked away so kids with curious fingers can't get them and thieves can't find them -- enjoy. I also agree with having everything registered so that if it does go missing, it will be noted, whether anything can be done is another story.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
For most Americans, such as myself it is what we call; "Second Amendment - Bearing Arms , as I personally think it should be for all people.

It is not something we can uninvent, however people can be mature and responcible, or at least I hope most can be. There are those who abuse such liberty, ruining it for those who are law abideing people.

As for allure, who could resist a high precision, ACOG equiped firearm?

*in best Home improvement, tool man impression*
[Grunting] Oh-oh-ohh! ah-ah-ah!

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
as Homer says: "now I know how God feels when he has a gun"

I'm very paranoid of the "killers" and "evil doers" so a couple .38s and a couple 12 ga makes me feel a little more safe. Probably just an illusion but if you want to see me; call first!

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Plinking is in fact very fun.

I also own weapons because of historical significance. They actual weapon might not be special, but it is a symbol of the past.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
For me the most important reason is the Second Amendment. One our founding fathers thought was so important they made in number two on the list. It was also not created for really any of the reason on your list accept E) The others on your list are valid reason for gun ownership but thats not what the Second Amendment was about.

Our founding fathers were not paranoid either they were smart. They knew tyranny was a real possibility for any goverment and they wanted the people to be able to fight back against such Tyranny if it ever arised. With the Goverment growing more and more powerful all the time with things like the Patriot Act it seems like decisions made by our founding fathers was very smart.

The Goverment should fear the people not the other way around

BTW Target shooting is fun too

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I read Cosmopolitan and take the quizzes...Redbook and Elle also. Nothing humble about your statement Siruslyone. You Posted:

"IMHO, all you posted plus they are powerful phallic symbols and I love the smell of gun oil...
ps--i am female... "

Duh...!!! I dont approve of phalllic or breast oriented symbols...either one. It is pubescent, Juvenile and acnefaced. Something a kid would come up with while expecting everyone to go along with thier default settings to play through unquestioned. I dont buy it from a man or a woman.

It takes a woman or the effemminite to see the nuances your statement makes...men are not that bright by their very nature. Women see sex and sexuality in far more arenas than men can even fathom. THe men just havent got it ..the raw material of this class to work within this sexual framework.
It is so tiring and disgusting to see so many men and women for whom the only description and ability they seem to be groomed into is the sexual arena. It's as if you take the sex away from them and they have nothing elses to contribute to the world. This is what it means to be effeminite...Male and female.

A gun of any type is a tool ..just like my hammer , chisel, saws, wrenchs, or automobile/truck. They are no better or worse than the dicipline level of the person utilizing them. Just like reloading it takes commitment to utilize them properly and responsiblity. It is not a light matter to be flipped around like a sexual joke or levity. It is a responsiblity. If you have ever seen what happens with a incorrectly manufactured reload or a improperly handled firearm..the jokes and levity stop immediately.

I was at one time on a team of soldiers who handled 155MM artillery. I can assure you that after this kind of work any resemblence of a firearm to a phallic symbol is Zero. If you have ever had a artillery piece misfire on you during a heavy shooting session...it is very sobering the first time you pull the firing lanyard and nothing happens. You stand around looking at each other wondering ..now what...and who is going to get the job of opening up that breech door.?? Or if you have ever had to punch out a fused 155MM projectile with a large ramrod after shoving it in heavily into the barrel to engage the lands. Your wondering if the person or people who constructed that fuse had a bad hair day when they built it. You are not thinking about phallic symbols!!!
I am also trained in shipbuilding ..and on a team which loads nuclear fuel into reactors..it takes special diciplined training and when you are trying to correctly land one of these large fuel rods..you are not thinking about phallic symbols.
At some point in your life you grow up enough to realize you have other peoples safety and lives in you hands..and it is a huge responsibity and not to be taken lightly or ......sexually. Got the point????
Only the sexually challanged can go through this world taking everything in a sexual connotation or denotation..so as to think they can play through and not get caught. It is pubescent. Male or female.

Firearms ownership is a Right Here in America.... But it is also a huge responsiblity. It is about dicipline to me..not about wildlife in its natural habitat. I can get wildlife anywhere...expecially sexual wildlife..this will never be in short supply.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Perhaps its just me, but I do not see why you think a firearm or cannon, being designed that way for performance, not style, would have anytihng to do with it being a phallic object.

I simply do not see the connection. You can't really say an AK-47 is a phallic symbol, but it is a symbol for other things. If someone looks at a piece of military hardware that was designed from the ground up to kill things as effectively as possible, and happens or doesnt happen to be a suggestive shape, why take that any farther than dumb luck.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Actually Raideur,
I dont see a artillery piece as a phallic symbol..I never did..I merely use this as a illustration of the type of logic used by a previous poster. My time with the National Guard was not a good time or much of a learning experience as there were to many people back then drinking out in the field. I put in my resignation and got out after a couple of years. I was a bit of a odd ball back then as I didnt go along with the methods of most of the peoples in my team.
My main point is that this type of phallic thinking is pubescent at best. Sorry if you got the impression otherwise.

Thanks for your post.
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Those who have grown up with firearms cannot live without them. I started shooting when i was 8, with a Crossman air rifle, got my 1st 22 at 10, and my 1st real gun, a lever action 30/30 when i was 11(which i still have and have given to my 11 year old daughter). I will never forget the 1st time i got to fire an M-16 and a 50 cal in the US Army. Owning and becoming proficient with firearms is as American as baseball and apple pie. I think this is what makes us arms bearers feel more american than anything else. I think the govt. could take away other freedoms, but if they tried to take our guns there would be a revolt. This would be the last straw. I also believe guns are not as gender specific as once thought. Both my daughters love to shoot, as well as my wife, who never held a firearm until she met me. She was scared to death of them. Now that she knows about them and how they work her fear is gone. Here in Texas we can carry concealed firearms with a permit. I have a permit and often carry my Gloch or my 1940 military issue Colt .45.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raideur
I simply do not see the connection. You can't really say an AK-47 is a phallic symbol, but it is a symbol for other things.

In many places around the world the Kalashnikov is considered a symbol of Rebellion, Independance and defence of freedom. Infact its the only gun to be depicted on the national flag - the Mozambique flag

Pic

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Honestly I like firearms simply for the noise, smell, and target practice. I get a kick out of shooting the high powered rifles and full auto big boys. I love zeroing a weapon, and trying to be as accurate as I can be...although if you take me hunting, I will find all the deer, and never shoot one..lmao. I am an expert shot, I just like shooting inanimate objects for the sheer fun.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I feel that the allure of a firearm is the ability of ending someones life with the simple tug of a trigger. In a sense, it raises you that godlike level, the ability to choose whether that person sees the next sunrise, or makes it to sunset, as if you were god yourself. Humanity has always been looking for the next step on their way to become Gods themselves, and Guns are simply the next step. Who else, what else in the world can indiscriminantely end the life of a man and feel no remorse other than God himself?

It's a very frightening thought in my opinion, and it forces one to think of how far we will take it as a species in our hunt for "Godship"

Oh, and you may want to do more research into the second amendment, the right to bear arms is only for "State militia groups" and was established in the fear of a renewed British offensive on the infantile and fragile state the US was in at the time. In my opinion, it should have been completely removed after the War of 1812!

[edit on 19-12-2005 by Conquistadork]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Conquistidork posted:

"I feel that the allure of a firearm is the ability of ending someones life with the simple tug of a trigger. In a sense, it raises you that godlike level, the ability to choose whether that person sees the next sunrise, or makes it to sunset, as if you were god yourself. Humanity has always been looking for the next step on their way to become Gods themselves, and Guns are simply the next step. Who else, what else in the world can indiscriminantely end the life of a man and feel no remorse other than God himself? "

Tell me you are joking about this statement Conquistidork. The problem with this type of "Godhood" is that historically these God seekers have always been in competition with other God seekers. It is historically a very lethal game. History is littered with the corpses of those seeking this type of Godhood and thier victims. If you believe this you need some serious help.
I understand the concept of hunting or fishing/trapping for food. Man seeking Godhood for themselves in this manner is like ....only public education can get someone this dumb without them knowing the whole story. Good grief I cant believe you post such a statement. Public education at its finest. You have the right name in your title.

A more responsible God like conduct and value is to raise ones children to be diciplined people ..responsible within the bounds of thier culture. To be knowlegable ..to make sound decisions and to be upright peoples. Firearms training is only a small part of this dicipline. It is not the most important part. Overall Wisdom and Knowlege are far more important. Knowing how to put this Wisdom and Knowlege to use daily in our lives.

Orangetom

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Guns are cool. I love the smell of gunpowder. To the female who said she's loves, all I can say, is would you like to come over sometime??? lol

I've got 9mm Glock 17 & a 12 Guage Shotgun.

~Drools~

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Conquistidork posted:

"I feel that the allure of a firearm is the ability of ending someones life with the simple tug of a trigger. In a sense, it raises you that godlike level, the ability to choose whether that person sees the next sunrise, or makes it to sunset, as if you were god yourself. Humanity has always been looking for the next step on their way to become Gods themselves, and Guns are simply the next step. Who else, what else in the world can indiscriminantely end the life of a man and feel no remorse other than God himself? "

Tell me you are joking about this statement Conquistidork. The problem with this type of "Godhood" is that historically these God seekers have always been in competition with other God seekers. It is historically a very lethal game. History is littered with the corpses of those seeking this type of Godhood and thier victims. If you believe this you need some serious help.
I understand the concept of hunting or fishing/trapping for food. Man seeking Godhood for themselves in this manner is like ....only public education can get someone this dumb without them knowing the whole story. Good grief I cant believe you post su

ch a statement. Public education at its finest. You have the right name in your title.

A more responsible God like conduct and value is to raise ones children to be diciplined people ..responsible within the bounds of thier culture. To be knowlegable ..to make sound decisions and to be upright peoples. Firearms training is only a small part of this dicipline. It is not the most important part. Overall Wisdom and Knowlege are far more important. Knowing how to put this Wisdom and Knowlege to use daily in our lives.

Orangetom

Oh no no, I'm sorry if it came across that way but I in no way feel that way about firearms and murder. Im saying that when it comes down to it, that is the primal and powerful allure of firearms, the ability to end anothers life. If you read the whole post, I even pointed out the common misconception of the second amendment and my opinion on it having been removed after the war of 1812

Not reading a post through it's entirety and tossing out insults- No education at it's finest.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by Conquistadork]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Thanks for correcting me. I just dont feel that way about firearms. Also I dont approve of people who do Obviously.
I apologize for any misinterpretation of your post. Once again thanks for setting me straight.

Orangetom

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I have to admit that I have never really understood the "allure" of firearms. I guess it's like lots of things--some people find it attractive, some don't. (Like I love to read, can't ever have enough books on my bookshelf, but I know some people only read when they HAVE to!)

I don't think it's just a matter of gender, either. I'm a female and I don't like guns, but I have a female cousin who loves to go deer-hunting--and she's good at it too!

What I don't like about guns is that they're so often in the hands of people who have no business handling them--they either don't know how to handle them properly or they're using them for criminal purposes. (Not meaning anyone here, but you know that people who ARE criminals often use guns in committing their crimes.) AND I have heard of way too many cases when a couple of people get into an argument that normally at worst would end in a fistfight--but one of the people has a gun and on impulse grabs it and shoots the other person, sometimes fatally. Yes, the shooter may regret it bitterly afterwards, but by then the other person is either wounded or dead.

That's one of the main reasons I dislike guns. They are too easily obtained IMHO--and in careless hands they are DEADLY!!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Everyone has heard this before, but a firearm is just a tool, and has no more special quality to kill than a saw, ax, or car.

Firing a weapon also has a stress-relieving effect to it. I dont know why, but it is there. Rather than meditate, exercise, sleep, or smoke, shooting a few rounds, can be just as releasing. You dont even have to kill anything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join