It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Novel Claims Pope John Paul 1 Assassinated Over Reform Plans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   
A novel by Portuguese author Luis Miguel Rocha which is to be released worldwide next year titled "The Last Pope", claims that Pope John Paul 1, who ruled as pontiff for just 33 days in 1978, was assassinated and did not die of a heart attack as it has been publicly claimed. Pocha's claims came from an as yet undisclosed Vatican source, who the author says will be made public at the time of the Novel's release. Theories in the novel include the pope being killed because of his awareness of Vatican Bank money laundering and also due to plans by the pontiff to liberalise aspects of the catholic doctrine.

www.news.com.au
The novel depicts John Paul I's assassination as the result of a conspiracy involving top financial officials, several European governments and a Mafia group that counted top officials of the Roman Curia, including the pontiffs personal secretary, as members.

John Paul I's death on September 28, 1978 instantly gave rise to speculation due to discrepancies between the official story of the discovery of his body and the facts, combined with the Vatican's refusal to perform an autopsy.

In 1984, British author David Yallop, who writes mostly about unsolved crimes, published In God's Name, which proposed the theory John Paul I's death was linked to alleged corruption at the Vatican Bank.

The book has sold over six million copies but many of its points of suspicion were challenged four years later by British historian and journalist John Cornwell in his book A Thief in the Night.

Rocha's Portuguese publishers, Saida de Emergencia, said the new book would be the first to be based directly on Vatican documents.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The new book is touted to be fiction based on facts and claims to be the first to rely on evidence from Vatican sources and archives. I for one will enjoy reading it when it comes out to see if any new details emerge in the conspiracy.

I'd say all this hype and media drama is to raise awareness of the book and help sell copies after previous books on the issue were not overly popular sellers.

[edit on 18-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
It just concerns me that some of these "Novels based on facts" can really skew things. The DaVinci Code comes to mind as the most obvious example.

They open a wonderful avenue for discussion, but I don't think they do anything to bring us closer to the truth, perhaps even creating more confusion. I think it's a shame that if someone really has something to say, they don't flat out do it in a non-fiction venue. Especially since actual claims are being made, and credibility is promised by revealing a source upon the "Novels" release.

To me, presenting facts in the form of a novel are a cowards way of covering their backs. Spit it out already in a straight forward manner if you have real information. At least that's how I see it.

[edit on 12/18/2005 by Relentless]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Well I can see two diff angles on that one. Yes you are right, I am writing at the moment about an event in my life, I am writing it from a fiction perspective and using a character becuase I intend to combine aspects and add to the story. So yes thats poetic licence and in a book like the pope one can be used the wrong way and in fact as you said steer us away from the truth. On the other hand by writing the truth in a fictionalized form it can save legal hassles of being sued for naming names and so on.

It will be interesting to read the disclaimer. "This work is fiction, all references and resemblences to persons living or dead is just a co incidence". Or will it read "this is a true story, only the names have been changed to protect the not so innocent"

[edit on 18-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
PJPI was murdered. Absolutely. He was poisoned.
And yes, it was because he wanted to get into the banking
system and get rid of the corruption. No question.

- At night when the pope goes to bed, his slippers are put next
to the bed... military style. They are lined up perfectly. All popes
have this done. It's part of dress protocol. The morning after
PJPI died, his slippers were missing. It's said that they were
taken away because he threw up the poison on them and the
culprits didn't want anything that could be tested to be found.

- The nun who waits on him found him. The vatican didn't want
to scandalize anyone so they claimed a male knocked on the
door in the morning, got no answer, and 'broke' into the apartment.
This is untrue. It was the nun who takes care of the apartment
jobs (cleaning, laundry, etc.) who found him.

There were other things that came out when he died... I can't
remember them all. I have no doubt he was murdered. Many
of my Catholic friends feel he was murdered. (yes, I'm catholic)

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I also read that JP1 was murdered due to his knowledge of the mob connection and other things associated with the vatican..I will investigate a a little more and try to find the link on the internet. He was in the process of making changes and ridding the vatican of the people involved, but died. There is very little liturature on JP1 when cross referencing the internet, but it is there. The article also mentions the untimely deaths, or suicides of persons involved.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

for some info on this - its an interesting read I found once before.

[edit on 18-12-2005 by alphacenturi]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It's quite sickening that a respected institution which claims to do the work of God would actually murder a sitting Pope for financial reasons. Surely if the Pope himself is not safe from such conspirators, then none of us are.

As was mentioned already, I would love to hear more about the details surrounding his alleged murder, as well as the resulting deaths/suicide(s) of those allegedly involved.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
It's quite sickening that a respected institution which claims to do the work of God would actually murder a sitting Pope for financial reasons. Surely if the Pope himself is not safe from such conspirators, then none of us are....

God is big business. politics is big business, drugs, and most every form of illegal endeavor is big business... And... er ... Whoops! On deeper investigation, we often find two or more of them are deeply in bed together.

What's to be surprised about... And we can't be too sickened by something that we let happen daily and hourly, without doing something to change it.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

What's to be surprised about... And we can't be too sickened by something that we let happen daily and hourly, without doing something to change it.

Well I must be naive for being surprised that the Catholic church murdered the very pope they had just selected. But that's neither here nor there. What exactly do you propose that I do to prevent another Pope from being killed by the Church? Because I'd love to hear your recipe for change that we all need to adopt so we can fix these things we allow to happen "daily and hourly."

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
Well I must be naive for being surprised that the Catholic church murdered the very pope they had just selected. But that's neither here nor there.

Well, here we go. First of all, there is no proof that the Pope was murdered (though I have my own doubts about this one), but there is a new NOVEL coming out about it.

For the record, IF the Pope were murdered, it was not by "the Catholic Church". It may have been by some people who are in the Catholic Church, but this does not make it the Church that murdered him.

top topics

join