It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Cracks Down on Child Prostitution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
AG Alberto Gonzales yesterday announced a sweeping, nationwide crackdown on child prostitution, with 19 arrests and 31 indictments targeting four prostitution rings operated from Michigan, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Federal intervention is crucial in stopping the child sex trade, as children are often moved across state lines, out of the jurisdiction of local law enforcement agencies.

seattlepi.nwsource.com
19 nabbed in child prostitution crackdown

By MARK SHERMAN
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- Prostitution rings from New York to Hawaii forced more than 30 children as young as 12 to have sex at truck stops, hotels and brothels, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Friday, announcing a government crackdown.

Nineteen people have been arrested among 31 who have been indicted for sexual trafficking in children, taking minors across state lines for prostitution and other crimes, Gonzales said.

The indictments, in Michigan, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, target the purported operators of four child prostitution rings. Some of the children had been reported missing or had run away because they had been abused at home, FBI assistant director Chris Swecker said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is good to see the resources of the federal government being applied to this problem. It sends a clear message to the operators of these rings and the perpetrators of this abuse that their days are numbered.

I'm curious what kind of resources are being made available to the children involved in these prostitution rings in the form of counseling and recovery assistance. It is one thing to bring the guilty to justice, another to help heal the wounds of the victims and give them the opportunity to live functional lives in a safe environment.

[edit on 17-12-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
"I'm curious what kind of resources are being made available to the children involved in these prostitution rings in the form of counseling and recovery assistance. It is one thing to bring the guilty to justice, another to help heal the wounds of the victims and give them the opportunity to live functional lives in a safe environment. "

i am also curious what kinda help is offered after the fact for these poor children.. i would also like to say IMO that human trafficing at some levels goes very high up the chain and i hope focus is being put on the top players and not being covered up because it might be a judge or someone in our or other government.

Brian

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

human trafficing at some levels goes very high up the chain and i hope focus is being put on the top players and not being covered up because it might be a judge or someone in our or other government.

I agree this could be a big part of the problem and, along with witnesses and victims being easily discredited, may be one of the principal reasons more of these cases haven't been brought to arrest and prosecution.

No wonder child sexual abuse and prostitution is the 'red-haired stepchild' of law enforcement, when some of the same people charged with protecting these children may be responsible for perpetrating their abuse. Elements of law enforcement, legislators, members of the judiciary, foster parents, child protective services, all have had individuals accused and even convicted of these crimes. Its almost like "We have met the enemy, and they are us."

join