It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katrina Death Stats - by race

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Surprise! A racial imbalance in the death stats for
Katrina DOES exhist. But guess what ... statistically
more WHITE people died than their population
percentage suggested should have. So was there
indeed rescue racism during hurricane Katrina
... against whites and not blacks? Yep. Could be!

And as far as seeing seas of black faces being left
behind in New Orleans ... perhaps that's because
only 28 percent of the city is a white population?

www.cnsnews.com...

Excerpt

By Nathan Burchfiel
CNSNews.com Correspondent
December 14, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - Statistics released by the Louisiana Department of
Health and Hospitals suggest that fewer than half of the victims of
Hurricane Katrina were black, and that whites died at the highest rate of
all races in New Orleans.

But the state's demographic information suggests that whites in New
Orleans died at a higher rate than minorities. According to the 2000
census, whites make up 28 percent of the city's population, but the
Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals indicates that whites
constitute 36.6 percent of the storm's fatalities in the city.

African-Americans make up 67.25 percent of the population and 59.1
percent of the deceased. Other minorities constitute approximately 5
percent of the population and represented 4.3 percent of the storm's
fatalities.

[edit on 12/17/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Nice find.

I like especially the phrase at the bottom of the web page.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Excellent post.

I have been trying to explain it to people for a while that race had nothing to do with it. White people were poor victims just like anyone else.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Of course this information isn't getting the same attention that
the other threads did. You know ... the ones that claimed all
that anti-black racism blah blah blah ....
Amazing.
Guess people just read what they WANT to hear .. truth be damned!

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Of course this information isn't getting the same attention that
the other threads did. You know ... the ones that claimed all
that anti-black racism blah blah blah ....
Amazing.
Guess people just read what they WANT to hear .. truth be damned!

You are right about that.

I get sick of hearing about poor minorities, as if there exist no poor struggling white people with few options. Right. All white people are middle to upper class suburbanites who drive big cars and run in fear everytime they see a dark person. Wgatever.

I feel the media was wrong in making Katrina a race issue. I hardly ever heard any talk about just victims, regardless of race. Just about black victims, as if no poor whites live on the gulf coast.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I think the disaster was very unfortunate but i dont think it was meant to get rid of the blacks.

Who would suffer the most? Blacks because there are more of them- Its elementary.

I love a good conspiracy but this one doesnt appear to be.

What ever happened with Louis Farakham suing the government? You know, for blowing up the levees?

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
while the katrina events were catastrophic, mostly by our government, i do find it absolutely ridiculous that jesse jackson and al sharpton decided to pull the race card.

people should have seen it coming.

it's very unfortunate....but on the other hand.....who in their right mind would want to live life in a bowl ready to run over anyway?

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
People need to be cautious about tossing the race card around so easily.
The truth is it was about people..PEOPLE.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
The truth is it was about people..PEOPLE.

amen to that brother!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
So, does this mean that George Bush doesn't care about white people?

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
No race did not play a part in the aftermath of Katrina.
I absolutely agree.

However it did play a part in the centuries leading up to it.
The tragedy of Katrina was the impact on the poor.
So many of poor are also black. Vice versa. We all know this.

You look at the state of black america and you may see that many, many black americans are still unable to rise from whence they came. When you have family histories as MANY OF (not all!) the poor black american slave descendants do, you see there is still a lot of obstacles to overcome...

Their poverty...
their ignorance...
These are all direct manifestations of what happens when you have centuries of institutionalized opression. 40 years is too short a time period for us not to have more hindsight.
Racism, nowadays is more discreet, underhanded. It is expressed in attitudes - not the fist, so to speak.

I do not seek to give an excuse for underachievement, in any regards. Remember that.
Just my perspective.
Please, no need to try and attack me.

It's a waste of energy.

(SKADI the EVIL ELF - man, you need some perspective... of all the things 2 get sick of in this world...
PERSPECTIVE... :dn

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:56 AM
link   
And here we are ... one year later ... and there are STILL people saying that Bush hates black people because of Katrinia even though the stats show otherwise. A shout out to you people - get a clue - he (unfortunately) signed over billions in OUR TAX MONEY for AIDS research in Africa.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I like a good conspiracy as much as the next person. But the thought of the gov't using using a natural disaster such as Katrina to kill off minorities is ludicrous, imo. Think about it:

Scenario

I'm going to give you a week's notice that a huge storm is approaching.

I'm going to give you a black mayor who should have your best interests in mind.

I'm going to rely on your knowledge that you have dirt levees that could fail at any time, holding back water from a basin below sea level.

And I'm going to wipe you out because... then there will be less black voters?

Whatever happened to exotic conspiracies, such as AIDS or crack coc aine?

Btw, I saw on the news yesterday that Ray Nagin is still looking for evidence that the levees were intentionally blown up.

Good luck, Ray.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I like a good conspiracy as much as the next person.

How about THIS then ....

Since the statistics are defining and show that white people died in greater numbers than their percentage of population said they should have, then perhaps Mayor Nagin purposely allowed white people to die so that he could have his chocolate city?? hmmmmm? Why else would the stats show that white people died in such greater numbers than their city percentage said that they should? Now THAT would be a consipracy!!

No. I don't believe that ... but it as good of a conspiracy as Farrakahn saying that the levees were blown up and him using the trenches that the water channeled out as 'proof' of bombs. Gawd ....

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by jsobecky
I like a good conspiracy as much as the next person.

How about THIS then ....

Since the statistics are defining and show that white people died in greater numbers than their percentage of population said they should have, then perhaps Mayor Nagin purposely allowed white people to die so that he could have his chocolate city?? hmmmmm? Why else would the stats show that white people died in such greater numbers than their city percentage said that they should? Now THAT would be a consipracy!!

Well, that might be believable, given all the suffering that blacks went through in the flood. Nagin could screw up a one-car funeral.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by theBLESSINGofVISION
No race did not play a part in the aftermath of Katrina.
I absolutely agree.

agreed

However it did play a part in the centuries leading up to it.
The tragedy of Katrina was the impact on the poor.
So many of poor are also black. Vice versa. We all know this.

how does that culminate in a hurricane?

You look at the state of black america and you may see that many, many black americans are still unable to rise from whence they came. When you have family histories as MANY OF (not all!) the poor black american slave descendants do, you see there is still a lot of obstacles to overcome...

not all blacks living in america today are all decendants of slaves.

and unable or unwiling? Whites arent handed everything either, many work VERY hard to scratch up enough money to go to school and get better jobs and make a better life and they do it without the overwhelming support that the government gives black to be able to do the same.

there is no excuse for not "overcoming"

Their poverty...
their ignorance...
These are all direct manifestations of what happens when you have centuries of institutionalized opression. 40 years is too short a time period for us not to have more hindsight.

oh please....I know many blacks and I would not describe them as "ignorant" nor "poverty ridden". Slavery ended over a century ago, and I will grant for a long time afterward things were still tough for them. I think blacks need to realise though that sometimes they are their own worse enemy.

Racism, nowadays is more discreet, underhanded. It is expressed in attitudes - not the fist, so to speak.

Once again, please..... if a white person or anyone else says anything about a black person the immediate response is "racist". If ablack person is underqualified in the job market and is terminated as a result..."racist". It has become such a typical response it has a name now. the "race card".

[edit on 30-8-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Why does race need to be added to a corrupt city? We know that things are messed up due to corruption, in some of the most asinine places, to boot. The corruption was done by both white and black leaders. You have everyone and their mother sticking their fingers in a pie, the pie is going to look pretty messed up after a while.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This death toll shows nothing other than the fact that the storm does not discriminate. Government officials do though when responding to a crisis in a predominately black city.

Sorry, the response to Katrina was based on racism, and that has been the argument all along. No one in their right mind believes for a second that this would have happened in an affluent white enclave.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Low-class blacks, I hate to say it, blame everything on racism. This is just an example of it, they want everything for free and blame it on the white man if they don't.

Yes, I'm white, and this is a carefully thought out observation as opposed to a stereotype. I have black friends, but as a whole the lower class of that race in the United States practices this to some degree.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
It was much more a class issue with me than a racist one.

The confusion comes because a lot of times they are almost synonymous in that area.

I think theBLESSINGofVISION hit this one dead on...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join