It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Body Armor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
An Israeli company developed a new kind of body armor using nanotechnology that is the strongest to date. Currently it is twice as strong as the best armor, and they hope to have it available within the next few years.

blogs.zdnet.com
According to IsraCast, an Israeli company has created materials made of inorganic fullerene-like nanostructures (IFs) which have amazing shock absorbing properties. During preliminary tests, these materials, which are five times stronger than steel, have successfully resisted to steel projectiles generating pressures as high as 250 tons per square centimeter. These materials could be incorporated in "nanoarmors" able to protect soldiers or police forces within three years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Cool stuff. I wonder how effective it is against impacts other than those caused by bullets. For instance if someone were to punch me with this stuff on, would it hurt? Also, I wonder how long it will take someone to develope nano-bullets that are able to defeat these mechanisms.

-P

Related News Links:
www.apnano.com
www.weizmann.ac.il
pubs.acs.org

[edit on 12-16-2005 by Springer]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Just a question.....250 tons per square centimeter amounts to being hit by what? An M-4? A 30-06? 50 cal?

This is a awesome breakthrough.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Countries have been working on "NanoArmours" for years, but most of these program's exact details are not made public. The Carbon nanotube armour is estimated to be 50-100 times stronger then steel.

Its going to take more then just putting some nanomaterial in a bullet tip to defeat these armours. Your going to have increase the charge behind the bullet as well just making a harder bullet is not going to be enough.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Nano-aluminum oxide would make a good force multiplier in shells as would a Tungsten Bullet due to it's density and relative non-toxcity.

I still believe 4mm ceramic caseless ammo for use in a gauss rifle are the future though

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
So being that there is nano armor, this would be billions of little machines right ? so wouldng you be able to disable the system if you apply a high enough current ? kinda like shorting out the armor ? guess some one is working on an electro magnetic pulse...

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
So being that there is nano armor, this would be billions of little machines right ? so wouldng you be able to disable the system if you apply a high enough current ? kinda like shorting out the armor ? guess some one is working on an electro magnetic pulse...

Read the article, they use fullerine like molecules to achieve the strength.

The "Onion-like" nano-structure of the IF materials, is the result of a sophisticated manipulation on the original layered material. This unique structure is responsible for its remarkable strength and durability.

No nanobots involved just better constructed materials.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I'm waiting to see a picture of these armored suits. Next, I'll be waiting to get My own.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
I'm waiting to see a picture of these armored suits. Next, I'll be waiting to get My own.

Unless you're in the military or are a police officer good luck buying one =)

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   

A) You know the American military already has this...

B) You will be able to get these on ebay soon enough

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeea

A) You know the American military already has this...

B) You will be able to get these on ebay soon enough

As for B) Yeah my thoughts exactly. Once something becomes standard issue it becomes available on the grey and black markets. I'm sure that the US soldiers won't be getting the best, you know to cut down on costs and such. Private "Contractors" will be able to afford the best due to their salaries and connections with his Employer.

As for A) I don't see how so, it's a brand new technology which is still subject to trials and such. Maybe the Private "Contractors" in Iraq have some types of new bodyarmors, but not this stuff yet.

[edit on 18-12-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I will be a Police Officer, sometime after the Fall of next year. If I didn't get it that way, I've got other ways. =)

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Sounds to me like this armour is going to be amazing, but what if it fell into the wrong hands? I think there going to need to make something that can penetrate it just in case.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MiniYoda
Sounds to me like this armour is going to be amazing, but what if it fell into the wrong hands? I think there going to need to make something that can penetrate it just in case.

So what do they do when those bullets get into the wrong hands

This stuff looks pretty dam good, but i cant help wondering when the point comes that no matter how good the armour is the size and velocity of the bullets just cause massive internal damage without penetrating

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
OMG, what if they built an extra bullet-proof add-on, to make up for those bullets that got into the wrong hands, & it got into the wrong hands????

Sorry, couldn't resist. I wish I could find the Popular Mechanics, or Popular Science mag I had, with the new body armor a retired Police Officer/Retired Army Special Forces Sergeant was building, from like 7 years ago.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
For instance if someone were to punch me with this stuff on, would it hurt?

A good level 3 type would help take the punch out of good hit! We have 3a
type armor on duty and it works great! If We know there might be gunplay We have a level 4 armor in the back We put on over the other.

But You all seem to forget that Your head is still out in the open!

My 22cal. can do you in at a 100 feet

I hope that they do make a good full body type that one can move around in. I do know that some things are coming out that will blow your minds in the next 2 years though!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
OMG, what if they built an extra bullet-proof add-on, to make up for those bullets that got into the wrong hands, & it got into the wrong hands????

Great idea, its quite obvious though. You build another set of super duper bullets, and make sure they don't get into thw wrong hands

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced

Incorrect. You are confusing nanotechnology with nanobots. These nanoarmors are not machines, but rather materials composed of superstrong carbon nanotubes and such. They don't have any moving parts nor electronics.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Exactly, that's a common misconception. Most people when they hear "nano"-anything their mind automatically assumes nano-machines.

Nano is just a scale prefix.
In layman it means smaller than microscopic.

Essentially meaning, the process of constructing this armor requires the materials to be assembled on a smaller than microscopic scale.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
someday they will have body armor that can stop a .50 bmg

but stopping a bullet and the transfer of energy are to different thing.

a 650 gr to 750gr .50bmg bullet traveling at 2800 fps packs a LOT of energy.
a bullet weight of 750 grains we get 13055 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle. ...
that is like getting hit by 6.5 tons that is the same as getting hit by a truck
even a 30.06 is like getting hit by a small car.

A vest might stop the 50 bmg bullet from penetrating but the transfer of energy would pick you up and throw you through the air and likely break bone and cause severe internal injuries

top topics

<<   2 >>

join