It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Network help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hello,

I am trying to share dsl with a 2nd PC in my home. I have a wired Linksys 4 switch hub. The frustrating thing for me is, I had it connected and working about a month ago.

The PC I'm trying to share dsl with has been having BSOD problems, and I just ran "recovery console"(formated?) yesterday, its working now, but I cant configure the network on it like I did before.

The Linksys has a CD thats says to use before doing anything, as I did, and it completes successfully on this machine. Though at the first step on the CD it checks for internet connectivity, and its not working on the 2nd PC because of this.

I am connecting all cables correctly, and following the steps as far as using CD,connecting cables, power,modem, then power up the PC's.

Sombody said I may have to update network drivers...I didnt have to before
In network connections on this PC everything is normal, and one connection (wich is connected) says it is being shared. But the 2nd PC isnt seeing the connection.
sorry to ramble, I can explain more.

thank for any help

Added: I just realized that in device manager there is no Netwrok device showing up. I know its onboard.

[edit on 16-12-2005 by Mailman]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
What OS are you using?
Given that you cant see the device in device manage I would say you have a low level problem. Uninstall any drivers and re install DSL modem.
Check for updated drivers on the internet. If you have re installed the drivers and it still dosnt work dont use the drivers on the CD its possible that they are corrupt. Instead download the drivers from internet.

Once you have configered the DSL and it appears in device manager without any problems Ping from both computers this allow you to tell if you have network conductivty.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Orite this could be a million things.
But, being your network driver ISNT showing up in the device manager breaks it down.

If your using XP, open device manager, expand the PC, and click on ' scan for hardware changes '

IF your network device DOESNT get detected, it may be DISABLED in the BIOS.

So REboot the PC, when you see something like ' press F2 for setup '
or 'press delete for Bios '

go into it. There should be something like ' peripherals ' to go into. There you MAY find ' Onboard NIC ' it needs to be ENABLED.

If this is the case you need to be clear on a few things before we can go further.

What OS DID you have when it was working.
What OS do you have now

Do you have any OTHER devices in device manager that appear to have issues
IE is there and '?' or '!' on any devices?

join