It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act reautorization rejected.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Provisions of the Patriot Act set to expire if not renewed have been rejected. The provisions being those that infringe on the freedom and privacy of US citizens. The final vote was 52-47

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The Senate on Friday rejected attempts to reauthorize several provisions of the USA Patriot Act as infringing too much on Americans' privacy, dealing a major defeat to
President Bush and Republican leaders. In a crucial vote Friday morning as Congress raced toward adjournment, the bill's Senate supporters were not able to garner the 60 votes necessary to overcome a threatened filibuster by Sens. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., and Larry Craig, R-Idaho, and their allies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I beleive this is a small victory for freedom, and is evidence of a slight shift in direction towards a better world.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

[edit on 12/16/2005 by DezertSkies]

[edit on 12-22-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I can hardly believe this! It's good news indeed.

What's going on with this being voted down and Bush agreeing to ban torture? I'm suspicious to say the least, but I will say that this appears to be good news.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The Democrats used the constitutionally questionable filibuster tactic to put all Americans lives in danger....yeah, real good news.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
When I read the headlines today I thought I had slipped into a parallel universe. I can't believe this actually happened. I'm really glad they rejected it, but I can't believe it.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally by Flinx
I thought I had slipped into a parallel universe.

Maybe!
The Iraqi people successfully vote.
Torture gets the official No.
Freedom and Privacy prevails.

It's the Christmas Spirit

[edit on 16-12-2005 by shanti23]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

from the yahoo article
...and secret warrants for books, records and other items from businesses, hospitals and organizations such as libraries.

These are the things that should make even the most die-hard psudo-police state apologist stand up and go "say what? now wait just a minute..."

Almost no one wants their medical records examined by people who aren't even required to tell you that they looked.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Its about time- Now, what crazy measures will the White House take in order to make us reconsider? Hmmmm...

We are not out of the woods yet!

Not yet.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
You would think the vote not to reauthorize would be a little more lopsided towards not reauthorizing. Kind of scary...

- Attero

[edit on 16-12-2005 by Attero Auctorita]

J_3

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Terrific!!

I am with what seems to be all of you aswell. This was very UNEXPECTED, I was positive that the Patriot Act along with its provisions would be reinstated.

HAHA. You're right it must be the christmas spirit. It sure put a smile on most of your faces.

Go America! (Finally)

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I hope this stays as good as it sounds. Hope something bad doesn't happen to push this 'agenda disruption' back forward.

Not trying to think negatively, I just don't trust the Bush.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Actually, the vote to end the filibuster failed. It is entirely possible that a final vote on reauthorization can take place before the end of the year.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
AWESOME!

I understand that we needed the patriot act (and still do largely)
but why they would want to make any of it permanent is beyond reason.

This country has sweated every issue that tampered with the constitution and bill of rights, and we should do the same here... not make permanent rules that were originally created on the spur of the moment. That is a formula for future trouble.

My senator sent me a notice that he had voted for this. I sent him a notice that i wouldn't be voting for him next time.

I then gave him an analogy:
If a good trusting righteous individual was walking down an alley, and gets jumped. It doesn't mean that they should turn into a cold mean bastard...
it means they should be careful about walking down dark alleys, and remain the good trusting righteous person they were. Do ya get me?

of course throwing in a few links to the abuses by the military "spys" labeling normal upright christians as national threats (due to a legal protest against recruitment practices) helped also.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
They WILL find a way, by hook or by crook (pardon the pun) to pass this. Its no Christmas present!
Desperate times call for desperate measures!

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
And what the heck with this?

www.atsnn.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Bush didn't need any patriot act to authorized illegal spying on US citizens he did it in 2002 and he didn't ask permission to do it.

That is another controversy heading our way.

So yes we have a victory but are we still safe from our own government?

You read and you decided.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

The Democrats used the constitutionally questionable filibuster tactic to put all Americans lives in danger....

It was a bipartisan filibuster, dj, not just democrats.

Vitchilio - Last week, Scott McClellan announced what the Bill was about. That's the story you linked. They had yet to vote on it (today). The vote is a surprise. Most people expected it to fly through. And there's still the chance they could vote again in the next few days and pass it, but for now, it's been turned down.

[edit on 16-12-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This is great news. after Scott Mc Clellans little announcement last week and the news that deals were being done, quite frankly I didn't expect this result. But its fantastic.

Shame Australia won't follow the lead through and Australian Gov have allowed the tightening of all screws and loss of freedoms here.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The vote is a surprise. Most people expected it to fly through. And there's still the chance they could vote again in the next few days and pass it, but for now, it's been turned down.

[edit on 16-12-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

This didn't last long.
The Senate has now voted to extend it another 6 months.

start.earthlink.net.../43aa32d0_3421_1334520051222570153897

The terror-fighting USA Patriot Act may have a new lease on life. The GOP-controlled Senate on Wednesday approved a six-month extension of the USA Patriot Act to keep the anti-terror law from expiring on Dec. 31. President Bush gave it his grudging blessing.

The Republican-controlled House is now expected to come back and consider the legislation keeping the 16 provisions of the law passed after the terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington from expiring.

So I guess this gives both sides the opportunity to continue to argue this. The only positive thing about this is that sentiment seems to turn further away from these provisions as time goes on. We'll just have to wait and see, for now nothing changes.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I also thought that I was in a parallel universe when I started to read through this thread, because it seemed all along that it would be extended. And it was:

Senate Renews Patriot Act
Wednesday, December 21, 2005

WASHINGTON — Late Wednesday evening, senators struck a deal that will fully reauthorize the Patriot Act in its current form for six months and give lawmakers the chance to revisit controversial portions of the act that have been subject to extensive opposition.

Soon after the deal was announced, the Senate passed the extension.

PA still lives

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Yes, short lived alright. I am not a terrorist by any stretch of the imagination, and i dont know any...but for a long time now, if my family or I want to say something about the current events...we do it like this:

Hey, did you hear about cousin George, that $#@%& ?

There are ways to get around and navigate thru it. We also use codes for other things..

I also mix in a little Spanish / French into the mix.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join