It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just in ... explosion at Russian nuclear power plant ....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
here we go again!!! Feel free to move this if I've popped it in the wrong area, okay.

www.cnn.com...

An explosion in a smelter on the site of a Russian nuclear power plant severely injured three people, but radiation levels were normal, the state nuclear agency Rosenergoatom said.

The blast occurred at the Leningrad nuclear power plant in the town of Sosnovy Bor, outside the northern city of St. Petersburg and about 600 kilometers (400 miles) northwest of Moscow. Rosenergoatom said that the smelter was located in the grounds of the plant's second unit. The plant has four units in all.

Three people were injured in the blast, the company said. The Emergency Situations Ministry said that two of the injured had burns over 90 percent of their bodies.

Mod Edit: Please do not copy/quote entire articles, a small blurb is sufficient, members can click the link if they want more information.

[edit on 12-16-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
nobody got a single comment about this?

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Eeek! Boy, lucky they weren't smelting radioactive metal that day, hmmm?

A spokesman at the Leningrad nuclear plant, Sergei Averyanov, said that the blast had caused molten metal to burst out of a smelter used by a private company called Ekomet-S, which is reprocessing scrap metal on the site of the nuclear plant. Usually the company reprocesses scrap with low levels of radioactivity, but on Thursday the metal was clear of radiation, Averyanov said.

It may not be a major disaster, but it does highlight the point that there's some pretty disasterous nuclear waste handling in the former U.S.S.R.

He blamed the blast on violations of technical and production rules.

Radiation levels are normal. I wonder what normal means in Russia. With Chernobyl, decaying nuclear subs in ports and who knows what, I'd hate to think.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This is getting wierd, whats this the 3rd accident so far which could have potentionaly killed many many people?

Seems like the worlds playing roulette and we are getting lucky =P

[edit on 16-12-2005 by C0le]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I think the US has alot more rules regarding safety so these types of things dont happen. Russia is and always seems to have trouble with this type of stuff happening. Scary though, thats for sure.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
I think the US has alot more rules regarding safety so these types of things dont happen.

I know here you are talking about safety rules so that we don't have any kind of nuclear explosions.

Here is a link though from Abc.com on the show 'Primetime.' It was about colleges all over the US who are licensed to have nuclear reactors. The show also talked about the security these schools should have, but don't.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yeah, the Russian standards for safety are, shall we say, laughable. Standards organizations like OSHA are completely foreign to them. I know this for a fact because I've done some engineering work on a petrochemical plant in Yaroslavl. I've seen some nightmarish things, albeit from pictures only. The working effiency of some of their plants is a complete joke because they don't have the money to replace old worn-out crap.

Peace

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Ekomet-S is lieing...
they only scrap radioactive metal...

in actuality, they have been in trouble since they began. Ekomet-S didn't get permission to start, or anything... its opening reaks of payoff.
It doesn't even have an environmental impact study.
The trains they recieve this scrap in (at 1000 times the background radiation) are not even marked. If they have a hobo problem in Russia, that is one way to take care of it.

Radioactive metal scrap is fishy at best, and murderously criminal at worst. right now, the US does have ghost trains of radioactive scrap crossing the countryside (yep, i said the US) going who knows where, for who knows what... but i do know that every scrap yard i am familiar with, tests all scrap that comes in, to be sure that they don't end up with a hot dump.
ekomet-s sucks

Radioactive scrap is a worldwide problem, as much of this hot metal gets turned into cheap products for daily exposure/use...
China also has a big scandal about it...

[edit on 16-12-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I’ve already covered it in my other post. Take a look if need details and the background of such issues.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Let’s see if Radiation levels rise across Europe..

When Chernobyl occurred, they admitted it was a small explosion.

It wasn’t until neighbouring nations started staying levels were rising that they admitted a bigger issue.

Strange though..

A fire broke out at an old Nuclear Power Station earlier today too

news.nationalpost.com...

Any now we have an explosion at another?

I wonder if the US and Israel are giving them the finger over the UN vote on Syria.

..... stuxnet you say?

new topics

top topics

join