It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samurai Robot!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

www.redorbit.com

Samurai tradition goes hi tech
The robot, named Kiyomori after a 12th century general, is the latest humanoid creation from TMSUK. There are no plans yet to put it on sale to the general public but one day the firm hopes it will be as ubiquitous as cars or electronic appliances in which Japan already leads the world.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Visit the link above to see the video.

The robot industry seems to be really booming now.
Honda has also just upgraded its ASIMO. Honda improves the ASIMO Robot.

I wonder how long it will be before we see robots in our daily lives.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I like the part where they say Asimo will one day be able to walk to the fridge and fetch you a beer.
............Gotta get me one of those.
But on the more serious side their are millions of seniors, handicaped and physically challenged in the world who's daily lives would be made so much
easier by a Robot companion. I can see this being really huge in about 10 yrs time.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Looks like ASIMO is comming along nicely...

I, for one, welcome our new robo-Samurai overlords.

I love robots.. I always have.
Please don't let them come after me...

[edit on 15-12-2005 by andpau66]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
So can this thing fight? The video only shows it bowing. I want to see some serious sword action.

Then they could hold competitions like Battle Bots.

edit: spelling

[edit on 12/15/2005 by Hal9000]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Looks fun! I would put some bucks into them making a good looking date that did not talk so damn much

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hal9000, while I would love to see a couple of Samurai Robots battle it out I they are much too valuable to do that with. Maybe if in the future if these things get mass produced like cars some one like Vince McMahon will put together a humanoid battle bot show

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Still though, let's give him some guinsu knives and see what he can do. Otherwise, they could have just dressed Asimo up in that outfit.

What can it do that makes it a samurai robot?

BTW, thanks again for the avatar.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
As far as I can tell the samurai robot is just a gimmick
. I'm sure the ASIMO would beat this bot at anything. I'll dig around on some robotics sites and see if they have anything else to add about the Kiyomori.

And you’re welcome

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Here is a Sumo Robot.
He is only a little guy though. It is called the HOAP-2.

www.automation.fujitsu.com

Humanoid Robot HOAP-2

* Compact, light weight, and easy-to-treat, HOAP-2 is a genuine humanoid robot with two arms and two legs.
* HOAP-2's gesture expression has been enhanced with moving head, waist, and hands. Using motor current control, except for his head and hands, the movements are much smoother.
* HOAP-2 is easily connected to your personal computer. You can use him as a human robotics research tool for studying areas, such as movement control and communications with humans.

Here is a video of the HOAP-2

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
That HOAP-2 is very cool, and you can buy one and run it with your PC!

I'm going to have to find out how much it costs.

I have played around with some robot kits from Lynxmotion, but it has been a while. This looks like it would be a lot of fun. But I'm sure this HOAP-2 runs a few more bucks.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
As far as I can see, the samurai stuff is just a costume they put on the robot to look cool. (it DOES look cool, though, doesn't it?) I'm not sure what the robot is actually supposed to do, since he was just bowing. He didn't even walk around or anything.

Someday I want to build a robot with my engineering knowledge. It will be my personal slave
I'll have to start small though, make little robots, then work my way up to Data.

loq

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
i need to get me one of those samurai robots...
i wonder if they really can do any fighting moves tho.

top topics

join