It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you part of the solution or part of the problem?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

I like your quote dr strangecraft, and would like to point out that it states faith as a prerequisite.

[edit on 16-12-2005 by saint4God]

Exactly.

And as for those who do their good works in order to be seen by men; well, they have their reward. Matthew 6:2 paraphrase.

I hesitated before posting at all, knowing that I'd draw some fire for being "self-righteous." Surely, some will say that my whole post is fiction.

But I thought about it and decided that, since none of you know me in the real world, it doesn't matter what opinion people here have of me for good or ill. Ultimately, I decided to post the stuff I did in the hope that other people might ask themselves what is possible for them: "If that puke can do stuff, why don't I?" That sort of thing.

I also just wanted someone to post something, to give lie to the impression that nobody does anything for the public good any more. Some do.

As far as anyone thinking that I did or posted things just so people would think I was nice, I guess I'd reply that if you think that, well fine, whatever. While it is pretty weak to do things/post things merely for approval, I suppose it's still better than having done nothing at all, isn't it?

Or are we so afraid of "self-righteousness" that we'd rather avoid any righteousness at all??

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Perhaps the operative term we are looking for here is selfless giving. Certainly good acts get noticed from time to time and a byproduct of having them publically noticed may include a certain level of pulicity. I have found most who help would rather not be noticed because it is easy for the cynical or judgmental to assign *their* perception of what the motivation was behind such kind and/or generous acts.

When a cynical person points to another placing their motivational evaluation to a selfless act, it can paralyze or preempt a good person from considering the offer of future help because of the cynic's inappropriately negative evaluation.

In this thread I asked a direct question thereby not allowing wiggle room to skirt a direct answer.

The real reason behind this thread was to measure courage in the face of assured cynicism proffered by those who would suggest a kind and good act should never take place if not done in the right spirit - the spirit *they* feel it should be done in.

The message here is to not let others restrict your kindess.

Edited for a typo, it's a curse.

[edit on 16-12-2005 by FEMA]

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I'm an inventer and I am always seeking solutions to problems big and small. I try my hardest to keep a positive attitude throughout the last 20 years and I'd have to say that I am more part of the solution vs. the problem. Solving problems to me is a challenge and it stimulates the brain IMHO

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Being an inventor is a daunting task to be sure. There are times when discovery fills one with screaming highs - then followed by crashing lows when new problems associated with the original discovery need to be overcome.

It is rewarding though, to see your innovation hit store shelves. I hold several patents and have experienced every detail of what being an inventor means.

Imagine all the hundreds of millions of people who've pulled burs from their cloths; they all saw burs, but one man saw velcro.

Edited for a typo, it's a curse.

[edit on 17-12-2005 by FEMA]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join