It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today is the Day. Good Bye SETI Classic.

page: 1

join
share:
d1k

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
It's been a fun six years with SETI@Home classic, especially the last couple months crunching as much as possible knowing it will come to an end at any time. Well that time has come as of today, time to take the next step and officially move on to BOINC. Let the crunching begin!

d1k aka X-File
I will find ET!

xn

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It's official now! Check the Seti@home Classic homepage. I did reach my 5000 goal in time.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Cashing out at 9474 units.
Or thereaabouts..

no aliens detected..

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
When I first heard of SETI@home, I thought that it was a neat idea, but now that I have owned a computer for a couple of years and experienced crashes and data losses and having a considerable amount of money invested in my modest system, I have to take such caveats as these seriously:

The applications run by SETI@home may cause some computers to overheat.

SETI@home and University of California assume no liability for damage to your computer, loss of data, or any other event or condition that may occur as a result of participating in SETI@home.

setiathome.berkeley.edu...

Not only this, but the methodology of SETI seems extraordinarily haphazard by its very nature, regardless of how rigorous the science.

Regardless of how many computers are crunching the numbers, the likelihood of actually catching a signal from an extraterrestrial civilization, given all the variables and provided that there is actually one out there somewhere, seems, well, beyond astronomical, even if that civilization consists solely of Carl Sagan clones.

[edit on 2005/12/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I haven't had any problems..
For a while I was even "burning in" a rackfull of new dual, and quad XEON servers., before I released them to the unwashed masses...
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

I may, or may not try the BOINC route..

d1k

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Not only this, but the methodology of SETI seems extraordinarily haphazard by its very nature, regardless of how rigorous the science.

The only way your CPU will overhear is if your fan malfunctions. Mind your fan and everything will be ok. I clean the dust and crud out of all my fans at least once a month.

Running SETI is pretty much the same as running any intense game or application.

I'll post back in this thread with my total WU's once I see my stats have stopped updating, they have not as of yet.

[edit on 16-12-2005 by d1k]

join