It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Nagin and Blanco Defend Katrina Response in Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Testifying before Congress today, Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin defended their actions before and after Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf coast earlier this year, killing around 1,100 Louisiana residents. Republican lawmakers grilled the duo over a slow state and city response that didn't plan adequately to evacute elderly, disabled, and poor people who could not escape the storm's path on their own, as well as criticizing fantastic statements that greatly exaggerated the death toll and reports of violence among survivors. Blanco and Nagin defended their actions saying that they did all they could in the short time they had to prepare, and urged Congress to pass more funding to rebuild and upgrade the state's battered levee system.

www.tuscaloosanews.com
Under scrutiny from a congressional committee, Gov. Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin defended their Hurricane Katrina evacuation decisions - as Republican lawmakers questioned Wednesday why thousands of people were left stranded in New Orleans without transportation as the storm barreled toward Louisiana.

Blanco, in often tense exchanges with committee members, said the mass movement of citizens was one of the most successful evacuations in Louisiana's history, saving more than a million people from harm and Katrina's devastating flooding.
U.S. Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., said Blanco's description of a successful evacuation was "a story that's not acceptable," and he compared the deaths caused by Katrina to the U.S. deaths in Iraq, saying the nearly 1,100 Louisiana residents who died was half the number of people who have died in the war.

"You lost that many in one day," Miller said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm glad these two are getting their feet put to the fire about their atrocious state and local prepartion and response to this tragedy. The recent revelations that Blanco's office seemed more interested in her PR image than what was happening to the people of her state (see BBC link below) also lends much insight to what really happened in Louisiana.

Related News Links:
www.alertnet.org
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 12/14/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I hope the victims of the fiasco remember what they did.

I am sure they will get the message that people were not happy with the way both of them and others handled the situation, once they are out of office.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I loved the part where Nagin defends the WILD stories that had us all in an uproar (emphasis mine):

Nagin said he based his statements on reports from police officers and the National Guard, and he said some of the crimes and brutality during the hurricane may not have been reported because people didn't want the media attention.

This was great too…

Nagin further noted, "See, all these things I said did happen, they just weren't reported." When asked how he knew these crimes and brutality occurred if they weren't reported, Nagin responded with hostility, then reverted to the subtle, yet effective, fingers-in-the-ears-nah-nah-nah-nah-I-can't-hear-you defense. The mayor then lost his temper completely, chastised the Congressional committee with a few I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I’s before being sentenced to a ten minute time-out in the corner. The mayor returned from his time-out calm and collected, and urged Congress not to forget to send him...err...New Orleans a lot of money.
Source

I’m sorry, but his actual defense of his ridiculous, panic-inducing statements is just as dumb.

Hey Nagin! Here’s a newsflash: panicking the already panicked citizens with exaggerated body counts, reports of rapes and murders at the Superdome, and marauding gangs is not going to convince a lot of folks to come out of their fast-flooding homes. “Hey ladies, don’t drown in your houses, come to the Superdome so you can be raped first,” is not an effective way of helping your constituents.

Moron.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Post removed by author to use on another thread.

[edit on 12/15/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
He didn't look too happy about his speech when he was giving it. Strange.

Of course, I may very well just be in denial. Most likely the case.
Move along people, nothing to see here.

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
As beautiful a city as New Orleans was, the current situation, combined with the institutional corruption that has dominated local politics for generations, leaving me with little sympathy for the city. Unless the local politicians can present something to the Congress other than appeals for tons of money, thinking that Louisiana and New Orleans should be forced to bite the bullet and rebuild the best way they can--sink or swim, if you will.

Still, this is all very unsettling for me being a native Louisianan, a long time resident of New Orleans and being a graduate of the University of New Orleans and Tulane University, the futures of which seem very unstable, at best.

new topics

top topics

join