It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Content Tagging is Here!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBurns
I believe that because of the hundreds of different variables, the general rule is to "use common sense".

Yeah... I use common sense when I make a tag. And I only put a tag on threads I have made a post in. This one in particular was in a thread where people were arguing about propaganda, mis-information, lies,slander, etc.

I tagged the thread with the term slander and lost 1000 points...

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
What is the link to the thread? Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to tag based on what specific reference to slander was being used?

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
LostSailor, it sounds like maybe someone made a mistake. Have you already used the gripe/idea button?

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Maybe I deserved it... But if you read this thread it sinks into an information war. Where people are trying to debunk the original posters information as slanderous propaganda.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term slander...

slan·der P Pronunciation Key (slndr)
n.
Law. Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
A false and malicious statement or report about someone.

But the main theme in the thread after a while is "basically" everyone trying to debunk souljah's information as slander.

Also, look at the rest of the tags on this thread and compare them to slander.

I've tried to talk to someone about this through a u2u, but its been 2 days now with no reply.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by LostSailor]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I may be cutting my own throat here, but I'm going to question the orders of our SkepticOverlord for the sake of clarity.

posted by SkepticOverlord, ATTENTION MEMBERS WHO ARE TAGGING

We're having a rash of threads being tagged simply with the forum title, example: "Fragile Earth".

This does not aid the contextual intent of user content tagging, and creates an artificially high number of thread returns for that particular tag.

Please do not tag threads with the name of the forum in which they are contained.

I think the value of these sort of tags will become apparent when there are over a million ATS tags, and a search function is implemented that allows searching with multiple tags.
Example: "Food And Cooking" + "Sugar" + "Recipe"

Having every thread in a forum with a common tag like "Food And Cooking" could only help the search process.

I know it skews the stats in the early part of the game, but the end result, after ATS is fully tagged, is a more comprehensive search. Sure this is the long view, but I see value in that sort of tag when the system is fully implemented.

posted by SkepticOverlord, Also, this morning, I've had to send out three warnings & penalties for inappropriate tags. Please take care to use unbiased tags that do not contain inflamatory rhetoric. If you feel strongly about any topic you encounter, a proper contextual tag will help others find the thread much more quickly than tags that are nothing more than snippy comments.

Posted by SkepticOverlord, We want to make sure that our tags are accurate reflections of the thread material, and not one person's political bias no matter what board contains the thread.

Sure, I think there's a need to remove some tags that are extreme, but I see the value in some of these tags.
Early on, it may look bad, but down the road, the acurate tags will far outweigh the biased tags. Let's face it, we have biased members that will want to search for biased tags.
Any effort to control user input will not be worth the time as the new system grows to hundreds of thousands of tags. The threads about UFO's will have every conceivable incarnation of "UFO", over and over again, adding into the thousands. But that repetitivness won't make the tag "UFO" worthless.

Posted by SkepticOverlord, The current tag search is just a preliminary rough version. Once we get more tags, I'll make something more sophisticated.

Every tag will have value when the "more sophisticated" system is in place.
I may be missing a key point in this whole exercise, but I'm trying.
I enjoy indexing and putting things into catagories, and I see merit in every tag that isn't a blatant lie or falsehood.

Anyway, that's my two cents......
I'll go tag some stuff and wait for the fallout......

[edit on 19/12/2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Yes, I see the example of "value added". That is an essentially useless, and somewhat misguiding tag. As you were saying, common sense is the best tool to use when tagging threads here.

Maybe as an effort to filter out some of the tags, there could be a min. post limit like the chat has?

Well, I'll tell you that I placed the "value added" tag and, while it may not seem useful to you, in the language that I use, that term would be quite helpful and it is descriptive of this thread (of which I've read every post).. Now, maybe we don't all speak the same language and maybe some tags are quite meaningful to some folks but not to others. I'm not going to bore you with the full explaination but, I stand behind that tag and have no regrets.

Now, "plane crashes" - that's not one that I understand for how it relates to this thread but, perhaps someone else really does understand. My best guess is that it was a joke but, I could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I didn't mean any offense by it, and for another topic I'm sure it'd be just fine...I just don't see it's relation. Then again I'm not you, and I'm sure that you do.

No hard feelings eh?

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
i't cool - no worries.

everybody's got their own way of talking.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I didn't mean any offense by it, and for another topic I'm sure it'd be just fine...I just don't see it's relation. Then again I'm not you, and I'm sure that you do.

No hard feelings eh?

Originally posted by Al Davison

i't cool - no worries.
everybody's got their own way of talking.

Your tags may have no meaning to me or some others, but it may mean something to the next person searching that topic. The great thing about tags is that it's the users of the content that make the tags.
And the more tags added to a thread, the better it works.

Go look at the tags at the bottom of this thread.
We have many, many tags.
Some are good, some are frivolous.
But it's all good when all is said and done.

Go forth and tag................

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   
i had an idea whilest i was tagging some threads i was posting in.. perhaps we should have a tagging system of sorts? for example I have been reading and posting in a UFO sighting thread, which is about a sighting by the creator of the thread... so i tagged it "member UFO sighting"

maybe we should have a few general tags such as these that are attached to threads as well. that way, for example, someone searching for all the ufo sightings by members doesnt come up with all the classic case sightings as well in their search.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Still no response on my alleged inappropriate tag. I really am in shock at how I lost 1000 points, especially as I go through other threads and see worse examples of improper tagging.

I guess repukeblican is acceptable for a tag?

*getting a bit steamed here*

*end rant*

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Still no response on my alleged inappropriate tag. I really am in shock at how I lost 1000 points, especially as I go through other threads and see worse examples of improper tagging.

I guess repukeblican is acceptable for a tag?

*getting a bit steamed here*

*end rant*

LostSailor, the mods are busy and it will take time for them to catch every inappropriate tags. We have thousands of posts, tags and podcasts for them to monitor and we should be glad that they are here to do it.

Just move on, you lost 1000 points - shock, horror...

They are points, nothing more or less and their is no need for such a level of "E-Drama", if you see an inappropriate tag send a Gripe/Idea and help out...

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

LostSailor, the mods are busy and it will take time for them to catch every inappropriate tags. We have thousands of posts, tags and podcasts for them to monitor and we should be glad that they are here to do it.

Just move on, you lost 1000 points - shock, horror...

They are points, nothing more or less and their is no need for such a level of "E-Drama", if you see an inappropriate tag send a Gripe/Idea and help out...

There is no "E-drama" involved. It just plain sucks. I was singled out and inappropriately punished for a tag that was relevant to the thread involved. If, for instance, I put "anti-american propaganda" as a tag instead of "slander" i guess I wouldn't have lost any points. You see why I might get a worked up over this?

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
LostSailor, I don't agree with the term slander.

Firstly, it is not "oral" which I am sure you were aware of.
Secondly, it is not a statement about someone.

The Tags, should be about the "topic" now what other people are saying - which is of course going off topic.

At the end of the day, the topic is not a discussion on slander and shouldn't be a tag, like many others. At the end of the day, your tag which wasn't helpful was removed just like all the others will do in the end.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
whats with the penalties?
Can't you just remove them with a warning?

I'm usre I did over 100 without a problem..
Then I tried to put more of a PC spin on the slander thing.

kinda sucks really...

I guess I'll still "plug" along...LOL

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Right on right on.....I am going to give myself the job of tagging all the S.L.I.D.E.R.S threads....ya know the electricity effecting/hearing folks, Street Light ect ect disorder.........that just keeps poppin up, and I KNOW there is a bunch of that from the past.....so that will be my job

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Anyone know if there is a way to view all the tags placed by a particular member???
Or is there a way to view all the tags that I've placed???

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
LostSailor, I don't agree with the term slander.

Firstly, it is not "oral" which I am sure you were aware of.
Secondly, it is not a statement about someone.

The Tags, should be about the "topic" now what other people are saying - which is of course going off topic.

At the end of the day, the topic is not a discussion on slander and shouldn't be a tag, like many others. At the end of the day, your tag which wasn't helpful was removed just like all the others will do in the end.

Why shouldn't it be a tag? There was obvious doubts by more then one poster in the thread as to the sources being used in the thread. I would use the term slander at some point while doing a search on ATS. It makes no damn sense at all. Why the heck wasn't it helpful? It would help me... and probably more then just me.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I've been working on the space forums.
Starting with the oldest, the interesting ones, with multiple posts.
I really enjoy the blast from the past, effect of this.

Lots of nuggets from the old days

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Why shouldn't it be a tag?

Please re-read the first post of this thread (linked from the u2u you received), especially the last paragraph.

For those who might feel inclined to add inappropriate tags or use the tags to comment on members, you will receive a 1000 point penalty for each tag needs to be removed. If we need to remove three or more of your tags, your account will be terminated. This also may apply to tags that are more opinion than fact if they cross the political line of unbiased tagging.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join