It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Content Tagging is Here!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I would imagine not....as if php is anything like asp.net then you can base a search on the word in any form. All depends on how they wrote the code.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Here's an interesting side-effect of the tagging:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Tis a great feature. I have used it a few times myself.

I put tags on some of my own threads.

Good stuff.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
But can't this be abused? Can't people tag erroneously and on purpose? This sounds like it could get messy.

Sorry - bad day bean counting and I'm still in who screwed up my database mode.
So that's how it strikes me.

Edit: Oh sorry - that's how fried I am - someone already brought this up kind of. Just ignore me

[edit on 12/14/2005 by Relentless]

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Here's an interesting side-effect of the tagging:

that's a great feature...I just looked up a few I tagged identically and they were lined up like ducks in a row.

Wonderful stuff!!!

So many tags already...what a busy bunch we are.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
See my intial reaction when I noticed this feature was that it was something for me to use personally. Good thing I stumbed on this thread, I was going tag things to organize them for myself.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
So, it is better for a member to just add one word to the tag list instead of say three words?
Would things be more organized that way?

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I'm left wondering if people tag several threads where a particular subject is talked about among others but a few threads discuss the subject in greater detail, will we be left guessing which ones are more relevant to the subject?

I was wondering how the list of tagged threads would be displayed. I mean would the order of displayed tagged threads after searching display in the order of those threads showing a greater percentage of the searched for tags on a thread or would the displayed tagged threads show up in random order or by most recently posted to threads?

If we want to tag a thread with a certain subject because it was discussed and we are interested in that subject but other subjects were discussed also, we won't get penalized for that would we?

I just thought of another question. If I tag a thread by saying "BBB is harmful" would I still by able to find all tagged threads with the tag word BBB or just by the word harmful? I'm wondering if it's better to have descriptive tags or just use one or two words in the tag.

[edit on 15-12-2005 by orionthehunter]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Wow! What fun!!.
This is already handy!

One question.... Should we maybe not use the word The in any of the tags, cause there'll be a bazillion listings in the T's......'course the Mod's will probably be able to edit the un-neccessary.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Neat idea.. gives us a neat little description story deal.

Just hope it doesnt get nasty.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
What Would Jesus Type?

I know there are some questions about what “rules” members should use for tags and concerns about consistency and accuracy, etc.

I don't presume to speak for SO on this, but here's my take based on my work with various kinds of database systems:

Don't worry about it.

It'll be fine. Search systems like this actually work better if members “widen the field” by being creative with their tags.

If members are too rigid in categorizing threads, the benefits of member tagging are actually diminished.

As an example, say you use the same keyword to describe all threads on Iraq: the word “Iraq”. There are thousands of threads on Iraq, so if you search for the keyword “Iraq”, you'll get thousands of hits.

Helpful, but not very.

Celebrate Obversity

But if you get more specific -- and creative -- and offer more specific terms, like “Battle of Fallujah”, “Iraq Constitution”, “Zarqawi” or “Butcher of Baghdad”, then someone searching for that data will definitely appreciate the more specific tag.

On a grand scale, the general idea is that members will type in the kinds of words/phrases to tag a thread that they might use to search for the same thread later. Or so the theory goes.

Thus a good way to think when you're tagging a thread is “what would I type to find this thread?”

Or not. Your call.

It's all good, baby.

Edit: As for case sensitivity, I would be extremely surprised if that were an issue. For some funky reason, I've been capitalizing my keywords (maybe I subconsciously think of them as subtitles), but that's an unnecessary affectation.

Case-sensitivity is generally anathema to search systems, so I don't see the need to worry about it, and I'll probably just use lowercase going forward.

Put another way: if it mattered, I'm sure the Overlord would have mentioned it.

[edit on 12/15/2005 by Majic]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I noticed that whatever tag you enter, the WHOLE thing becomes the search term. It seems seperating them with commas does not designate them as separate tags.

E.g. A member has entered the tag "prediction, earthquake, tokyo" for this thread. When you look in the tag list, you see that all three words plus the commas become one tag, one search term, one link:

Clicking that link will only bring up that thread. It will not bring up threads tagged with the single words "prediction", "earthquake", and "tokyo".

I'm not sure if this will affect the search function later, and whether or not a search for simply "earthquake" would pick up on this particular tag. If not, then such tags are pretty much wasted because it's unlikely anyone will search for those exact three terms in that exact order, with commas to-boot.

[edit on 2005-12-15 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Ahahaha....

Someone even tagged my name.

I r V special bunny.

Just a question; are you going to set up another group of mods to lay the law down on the tags as there are already a few that are being abused...

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Just assuming here, but it would seem to me that this would simply fall to the current respective forum mods duties and staff itself, Odium.

I am still noticing topics created within the time span of this 'tag' announcement that have no tag at all. Makes me wonder as to what the percentage(s) are for 'tags' in relation to topics created that have been 'tagged' by active members since the feature began [overall active member participation].
May be just that this is still somewhat 'new'.

seekerof

[edit on 15-12-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
ahh...thanks for pointing that out peace. i have tagged a few with more than one descriptor using commas thinking they would all be useful.

probably around ten entries like that i think, so lets see.....that should be me around -2000.

[edit on 15-12-2005 by snafu7700]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
All single-tags with commas have been parsed into individual tags.

Also, you can now use commas to enter up to five unique tags when you tag a thread.

We're now well over 6,000 total member-defined tags, with just over 3,000 unique tags:

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
ok, for amuk:

since i'm from georgia, i'll give it a try...although i do understand that sometimes georgian doesnt translate very well into arkansinian.

this here critter is goin to make yer life more betterer when yall try searchin stuff here abouts. jes figger on what ya think one of them posts is sayin, and then find one of them words that describes it purty well, and type it into that there taggin thingamaboo on the south end of the page.

hope that helps

Finally some one that speaks english.

Did you get this TC?

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
All single-tags with commas have been parsed into individual tags.

Also, you can now use commas to enter up to five unique tags when you tag a thread.

Man, you don't mess around, eh? Kudos.

[edit on 2005-12-15 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
A little bug perhaps.

It only register the first word. I just assigned three tags to a thread (separated by comma) : Heroic Actions On The Battlefield

All three words I used appear tagged in the thread:

"This thread is currently defined by these tags:
war heroes, war stories, war,
"

I choose "war" because there were already someone who used the tag "war" for another thread and because it was a short word since the total can´t be more than 30 characters...

So far, so good...

However, the thread was only assigned to "war heroes" and not "war stories" or "war" :

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Btw, I´m very impressed with this new tagging system.

Great idea and great work!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join