It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Content Tagging is Here!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If you have noticed there are loads of pointless ones on the bottom of this page, example: TAG! Your It!! - who is going to serch for that, honesly.

Just one question, when you deduct the points for a bad tag do we get a notice or a warn?

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Your last two posts make it look like your discouraging members from placing tags on threads.
Did you get a point penalty???

I've added over 10,000 tags without a penalty that stood up, though I did get one.
But that was overturned in appeal.

So I want to encourage members to put those tags on the threads. It's going to pay off in the future when all the topics are easily searchable through the tags.

Go tag folks....
You get some points....
ATS content gets indexed....

We all win...............

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by picklewalsh
If you have noticed there are loads of pointless ones on the bottom of this page, example: TAG! Your It!! - who is going to serch for that, honesly.

Just one question, when you deduct the points for a bad tag do we get a notice or a warn?

Yeah, "TAG! Your It!" is not the greatest tag, but if you only search the word "tag" you will show "TAG! Your It!" in the results. So even that tag has value.

And when you get a tag removed you will get a u2u from the staff member that removed your tag and the reason why.
If you disagree with the penalty, you can take it up with that Mod. through the u2u system.

[edit on 31/1/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonke05

I just happened by the tags for the above mentioned thread...and some of the tags are interesting descriptors...i.e. words like bullsh*t, etc...There is enough happening on this thread without this kind of sophmoric behavior...

anxiety disorder

It was in response to the above post, really. The second was about the post talking about how points aren't worth anything.

I think I'd be a bad example for those not tagging, since I've done 4,500 threads or more.

Just so you know...I'm glad to see nearly 700 members who have tagged. Furthermore, I'm watching as the total percentage is climbing up to the 25%.

Tag on...

edit to add that, no...I've had no penalties

[edit on 31-1-2006 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

It was in response to the above post, really. The second was about the post talking about how points aren't worth anything.

I think I'd be a bad example for those not tagging, since I've done 4,500 threads or more.

Just so you know...I'm glad to see nearly 700 members who have tagged. Furthermore, I'm watching as the total percentage is climbing up to the 25%.

edit to add that, no...I've had no penalties

I understand now what you were responding to, and yeah, your one of the champion taggers. I've watch your total climb.....

It's nice to see that so many members have added tags, and I'll be happy to have that number hit the 25% that SO was after at the inception.

I'd be interested to see the stats on how many penalties have been handed out since the tagging started, I get the feeling it's not that many compared to the total number of tags submitted.

Back to tagging.........

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
i have some questions, when you search, does it include the thread subject AND tags? or are they seperate? iv'e noticed some tags that repeat what the subject line says, is that and ok thing to do?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   
It might increase the speed and amount of tagging of archived sorts of threads to list those most in need of additional tagging--either in a link or optional sidebar.

It might also be fruitful to list say 5-15 ideal sorts of tags for ref.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
It might increase the speed and amount of tagging of archived sorts of threads to list those most in need of additional tagging--either in a link or optional sidebar.

It might also be fruitful to list say 5-15 ideal sorts of tags for ref.

In my signature line there is a link to 500 Threads That Need Tags, and every thread listed has no tags yet. These would be the threads that are most in need of tags.
It would be hard to list 5-15 ideal tags because every thread is different.

posted by 56, i have some questions, when you search, does it include the thread subject AND tags? or are they seperate? iv'e noticed some tags that repeat what the subject line says, is that and ok thing to do?

Are you talking about searching on this page???
ATS Content Tags
Or are you talking about the search button at the top of every page???

If the subject line for the thread is descriptive of the content of the thread, there should be no reason not to tag it with that.

So if the thread is in the BTS food and cooking forum, and the subject line says "Great recipe for tuna salad", you can tag it "recipe,tuna salad" and if an ingredient is mayonaise you could also add that tag.

The important thing about tags is that we can easily find the content of the thread in the future. So the tags must reflect that in some way.

Hope this helps.
Happy tagging folks...........

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
well i guess if spending eons here taging threads just for ats points, go kill yaself. I personally find taging every post on ats a royal waste of time.
May i suggest a dating agency?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Im a true sceptic
I personally find taging every post on ats a royal waste of time.

You may suggest that, but, in my case it would be dangerous, since I've been married to the same mind-reading Goddess for the past 36 years.

The points system does have its perks in that you can, with 5000 of them, purchase access to the RATS forum. Also, there are a bunch of nifty things that are available at the ATS store, like download space, background colors, etc.

Please don't come back and say you don't need them...I know already.

It's a system that has merit, IMO...but that's just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

well i guess if spending eons here taging threads just for ats points, go kill yaself. I personally find taging every post on ats a royal waste of time.

I sure don't need the points, but it looks like you could use a few.

I tag for the you and every person that uses the ATS boards. I do it because it's something I can contribute back to a site that I get so much out of. I do it because I have the time and inclination.

And I sure don't need a dating agency. 17 years together, and still going.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Well being that your a real veteran of ATS, I guess through your experience you should have a voice on the topic. If this is all such a waste of time, why do you care?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Like I posted back on page one, a new term will come from the whole tagging craze....................."tag whore", and anxietydisorder is my favorite tag whore.

Lay off the man or Nicky Santoro will be paying you a little visit.

Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this really applies at this point, so I apologize beforehand...

But, FYI...the definition of a troll...

troll
An outrageous message posted to a newsgroup or mailing list or message board to bait people to answer. Trolling is a form of harassment that can take over a discussion. Well meaning defenders can create chaos by responding to trolls. The best response is to ignore it.

happy hunting
.Edit to add this is not directed at the Tag Whore comment

[edit on 1-2-2006 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I'll wear that badge with pride.
Thanks Dr Love........

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

I personally find taging every post on ats a royal waste of time.

Please don't come back and say you don't need them...I know already.

It's a system that has merit, IMO...but that's just my opinion.

ohh i will comeback - since you had good manners to respond to my take on tags (i am a gentleman afterall) only to say, if that kind of thing floats ya boat - good game to you sir.
peace.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Content Tagging is Here!

and whats the point?

The point is to make it easier to find threads on ATS that are related to the subject you are looking at. If you are reading one of the threads on Hamas, Area 51, Joint Strike Fighter, etc.. and click a tag that says Hamas, Area 51, Joint Strike Fighter, etc.. you can see other previous threads about those subjects.

thanks for taking time to describe tags to me.

peace.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

I sure don't need the points, but it looks like you could use a few.

why?
Like i said earlier.
Do you mean to tell me, your avatars appearence/colour/background is more important to you then say, coherent detailed analysis of flanel that frequents here big time?

On my grave stone id sooner prefer -

the guy made enemies of blinkered visioned users on ats - but he never had many ats points, but atleast he denyied ignorance!
It took him 10 years to achive 1000 ats points (but they where well earned - but rather worthless) - but he always said "now what do i do with them?" - i think you realise the type of guy i am in the ats scheme of things.

I would love to hear your opinion.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Well being that your a real veteran of ATS, I guess through your experience you should have a voice on the topic. If this is all such a waste of time, why do you care?

You obviously have a minds eye - yes i am a veteran - of 4 years now i think - even though this current account is new - doesnt mean i didnt lose everything when i had a worm in ms office...8 months ago..

very astute of you, or was you just ignorant..or was you trying sarcasm?
- but a good attempt none the less.

[edit on 1-2-2006 by Im a true sceptic]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
So a worm infected your computer, and then wiped out your ATS account? First I ever heard of a virus ever acting like that. I thank you for the new information.

People are on ATS to have a good time and enjoy conversations, not to read you knocking everything about it.

Go into the RANT section and say what you have to say. Leave it at that.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join