It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantas makes huge Boeing 787 purchase

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Boeing just scored a major order from Quantus, who picked the Boeing 787 aircraft over the Airbus offerings.

Seattle Times

Boeing yesterday won a huge, heatedly contested order from Australian airline Qantas for the 787, successfully denying rival Airbus any traction for its proposed A350.

Qantas announced Tuesday evening a firm order for 45 Boeing 787 jets, worth more than $8 billion at list prices, and said it expects to eventually take a total 100 jets, which would bring the order to $13 billion.

It's a shame Airbus didn't strt on the A350 sooner because it looks like Boeing is winning everybody over with the 787.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Is this just Quantas giving Airbus a smack for not being able to meet delivery of the A380 on time???

Confirmation of the delay came after Australian carrier Quantas announced its reception of the first of 12 A380s has been pushed back from October 2006 to April 2007, the BBC reported Wednesday. Singapore Airlines, which ordered 10 of the A380s, also says its acquisition will likely be delayed.

Quantas has said it intends to seek compensation from Airbus for its expected failure to meet contracted deadlines.

The delay was "disappointing, given that we have met all of Airbus` deadlines for Qantas specifications," said Quantas Chief Executive Geoff Dixon.

Or is it just that the 787 is a better aircraft than the A350???
Quantas may also be trying to maintain the solid relationship they have had with Boeing for many years, afterall the 747 has been the backbone of the Quantas fleet for a long time.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Is this just Quantas giving Airbus a smack for not being able to meet delivery of the A380 on time???

It's possible they were worried that the A350 would also be delayed just as the A380 ws and they wanted something they could get their hands on soon.

I don't know for sure.

They also did mention that the 787 was easier to reconfigure when changing flight routes so that may have pushed them towards the 787.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

I doubt it. Its possible, but this is a sig. aircraft purchase and you do not fool around with numbers like this. While Quantas has had a long relationship with Boeing, the reality of the LCA business is whoever offer the better deal and/or the better aircraft.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Good job Boeing

Oh, and guys it's Qantas not Quantas

cya

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Score one for the home team!

Airbus has it's hands full with delays while Boeing is putting the product out to the public!

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Ace of Base says:

It's a shame Airbus didn't strt on the A350 sooner because it looks like Boeing is winning everybody over with the 787.

I don't think it's a shame at all, and, as everyone knows, I am completely neutral about the whole thing.

However, I do know that a group of pilots at Qantas (btw, that's an acronym for Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service) preferred the 'bus, with its side-stick technology, but the bottom line is that, given the airlines' recent concerns about Airbus' fuel economy figures, and that the A350 is behind the re-order curve, the flying kangaroo had to go with the best business case.

I think the only large customer who would change aircraft vendors based on geopolitics, i.e., "sending a message", would be the PRC -- and I notice they've been pretty even-handed in their awarding of aircraft contracts to both Boeing and Airbus.

[edit on 15-12-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Aww, ots, you've shattered my illusion! for years I thought QANTAS stood for Queers And Nymphomanics Travel As Singletons.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
No problem, Waynos: I always it stood for what my mom used to tell us kids trying to sneak a piece of turkey before Christmas dinner:

"Quit All Nibbling 'Til After Supper!"

Your comment reminds me of the story about the honeymoon couple who wanted to fly United, but the flight attendant wouldn't let them...

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Do the Australian Armed Forces have any arrangements in place to use commercial aircraft for use a la the US Civilian Reserve Air Force ? Just wondering what they use when deploying out of Australia or do they call up the USAF for airlift support ?

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
LOL ots, thats a classic

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The aircraft manufacturers, both Boeing and Airbus, seem to be doing quite a lot of business this year.

Does anyone know what the orders are worth for 2005 vs. previous years?

BTW: Can a mod edit the title and first line from Quantas to Qantas?

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
In Aircraft Illustrated yesterday, in an article on the 747-8, it says that Boeing has 65% of this years airliner business but doesn't go into specific figures. Airbus says it will increase its share next year (of course they do
)

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Orders and deliveries:

Airbus -

Firm confirmed: 668
Pending confirmation: 514

Boeing -

Firm confirmed: 806
Pending confirmation: 356

(Not including the Qantas order of 45 firm, 20 options and 60 potential purchases).

2005 deliveries to customers:

Airbus - 337 airframes.
Boeing - 268 airframes.

Begs the question, if each manufacturer is posting over a 1000 new orders (firm or unfirm) a year now, but only delivering between 300 and 350 frames, wheres the extra capacity coming from?

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Thanks for the information Richard.
I'm also wondering where the manufacturing capacity is going to come from for all those planes, many of which are new models.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Perhaps Airbus won't be the only one to end up experiencing the occasional delay and difficulty over the coming years, hmmmm?

It seems to me that they all promise the moon on a stick to secure the orders, perhaps capacity constraints are now getting so tight that they are going to have to be more honest about their likely and realistic delivery schedules?

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The main thing that won this order was ....

Boeing could deliver aircraft as early as 2008, Airbus couldnt.

Qantas CFO is quoted as saying that apart from that, there was nothing between the orders. The prices were comparable, the aircraft were comparable, the bids were comparable. Boeing could just deliver ASAP (Im not sure how tho, they have 200 or so orders for the 787 already, and to delivery Qantas aircraft at the start of the production run means taking slots off of other customers that have already been promised).

See the following article:

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

Gregg says the decision could have gone either way and probably would have gone to Airbus had it been made earlier.

"Boeing must have moved quite a few big boulders out of the way to suddenly give us access to the 787 far, far earlier than we ever expected we could get it.

"Without that, they would have been very hard pressed to have won the deal.

The deal wasnt as cut and dried as some like to think. Airbus hasnt done anything wrong with regard to the A350 or delays.

new topics

top topics

join