It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Politics: Boo Hoo USA

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Oh! Check this one out. Harper thinks the ambassador intervention was inappropriate.

www.cbc.ca

U.S. ambassador should stay out of election: Harper

The U.S. ambassador to Canada should not be intervening in this country's federal election, Conservative Leader Stephen Harper said Wednesday.

"I actually think the ambassador intervention was inappropriate," Harper said in Vancouver while campaigning for the Jan. 23 vote.

"I understand that the ambassador is concerned about our relationship, but there's inevitably going to be dialogue in that relationship among the parties during an election campaign."

I'm shocked I thought Harper was going to be all over this one. I'm starting to rethink the Conservative Party's involvement with this fiasco. extra DIV

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Harper's been trying to distance himself from the US as much as possible. He knows how dangerous it is for him too look cozy with them.

For the record: While, unlike the current Liberal government, I have always supported free trade, there is a deep concern in Canada about the commitment of the current U.S. administration and Congress to free trade. The United States is withholding some $5 billion in duties held from Canadian softwood lumber producers, despite the fact that a NAFTA panel has ruled that these duties are illegal.

In a recent speech, I stated that Canada must determine "the willingness of the United States to strengthen the dispute resolution mechanism and to subordinate domestic political pressures to a shared system of rules" and that "if this is not a direction in which the United States wishes to go, then Canada will have to make other long-term choices in its economic infrastructure," including expanded trade relationships with Asian countries such as India, Japan, and China.

On Iraq, while I support the removal of Saddam Hussein and applaud the efforts to establish democracy and freedom in Iraq, I would not commit Canadian troops to that country. I must admit great disappointment at the failure to substantiate pre-war intelligence information regarding Iraq's possession of weapons of mass destruction.

Harper notes many 'differences' with U.S. conservatives

I'm sure the US would prefer to have him in government because he has said that he would be open to the missle defense program. Not like that will do any good in a minority government but US governments have proven time and time again they are completely clueless when it comes to Canadian politics. They probably think this is something he can deliver.

I wonder if they've even noticed that he wants to play hardball on trade issues with them now? Or that he has completely changed his tune on Iraq?

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Two-faced hypocites. Strong arm us again? Screw the lot. Remember the bitchery below the border when our gov't wouldn't support the Iraq invasion? They had plenty of foul words for OUR gov't then. Let's leave good ole Georgie boy to WAH when someone won't play by his rules.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Two-faced hypocites. Strong arm us again? Screw the lot. Remember the bitchery below the border when our gov't wouldn't support the Iraq invasion? They had plenty of foul words for OUR gov't then. Let's leave good ole Georgie boy to WAH when someone won't play by his rules.

Dont suger coat it Bro, tell us how you REALLY feel

top topics

<< 1   >>

join