It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ancient Mayan Mural Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The National Geographic Society announced today that an ancient colorful mural depicting Mayan creation mythology has been discovered in Guatemala. The mural is almost 2,000 years old and was uncovered at a site that was first identified in 2002 when an archeologist accidently stumbled upon the ruins. A complete report on the exciting new discovery will be published in the January issue of National Geographic magazine.

www.foxnews.com
WASHINGTON — Archaeologist William Saturno said Tuesday he was awe-struck when he uncovered a Maya mural not seen for nearly two millennia.

Discovered at the San Bartolo site in Guatemala, the mural covers the west wall of a room attached to a pyramid, Saturno said at a briefing.

In brilliant color, the mural tells the Maya story of creation, he said. It was painted about 100 B.C., but later covered when the room was filled in.

"It could have been painted yesterday," Saturno said in a briefing organized by the National Geographic Society, which supported his work and will detail the finding in the January issue of its magazine.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What a great find! I know Mayan culture is of interest to the ATS community especially due to its calendar. I wonder if this new find will shed any new light on Mayan prophecy...at any rate, I'm sure it will provide many insights into their rich and ancient culture.

Related ATS Thread:
Oldest Mayan Mural Discovered

[edit on 12/13/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
It would not surpirse me if someday we learn that the origin of man came from the same area as the Myan culture.

Like others I too hope we can learn alot from this find

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Great find!

I really hope this sheds a little more light on the 2012 predictions.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The murals have nothing to do with 2012 or any prophecies.

They do, however, tell the story of the Mayan creation myth (Popol Vuh) -- and it's really more of a series of illustrations of this particular story. It tells the story of the god, Heart Of Sky, and how he came to create the human race from corn (maize) meal and snakes' blood.
www.crystalinks.com...
www.hort.purdue.edu...

Here's the text of the Popul Vuh (in play format) that the panel is illustrating:
www.yale.edu...

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I believe the creation myth of the Mayan culture plays a large part in the structure of their beliefs concerning the end of the world / age (as it may be).

Interesting to note, also, are the parallels in many lands of the creation myths concerning floods, birds, snakes, and a few deity-figures. For instance:

Aztec Quetzalcoatl

God of twins and monsters. Legend has Quetzalcoatl and his twin brother Xolotl, descending to hell and retrieving human bones. By dripping his blood onto the bones, human resurrection began.

Men therefore, are the children of Quetzalcoatl. He is always presented as benevolent. He wears about his neck a "Wind Jewell" made from a conch and his head was adorned with a jaguar bonnet or sometimes a small cap. A sharp bone protrudes from the headgear which flows the blood that nourishes his nahualli, the Quetzal bird.

source: www.crystalinks.com...

Sound like someone from the Bible, perhaps? Also, statue representations, as well as descriptions of him imply that he is caucasian, with white hair, a beard, and green eyes... Oh, and he wields lightning. Now what god from Greek mythology does that sound like?

Incans' Veracocha
Mayans' Kukulkan
Palenques' Votan
Izamals' Zamna

All of these gods share similar characteristics with Norse and Greco-roman gods, as do most of the pantheon of ancient American deities. Many of these gods either flew or swam the sea in great "boats", and many were (according, again, to statue images and what little we have that remains of records) of African, Asian, or Caucasian descent. If one wants more information, just type any of the above on google. Try to avoid the kook sites...

Also of note is the presence of the avian vs. reptile archetype characteristics within most cultures, culminating with conflicts between good/evil and gods/demons.

An interesting thread here on this forum, having to do with inferrences that the Caduceus, snakes intertwined as a double-helix around Moses' staff, may have a deeper meaning.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
The murals have nothing to do with 2012 or any prophecies.

there's a different article, which agrees with your statement...

but the article has a slightly different wording than either Byrds explaination
and djohnsto77s thread starter content.

- more like paraphrase-

...The wall, measuring 30 ft. X 3 ft , is part of a mural showing the
birth, death, and resurrection of the maize god's son

pictured four times with different animals
offering a blood sacrifice from his (private parts)

First he is standing in water with a fish, then on land with a deer,
next in the air with a turkey and then finally in a flowery paradise.

-> area & mural 1st discovered in 2001 by accident
-> mural (sistine chapel comparison) is thought ~100BC
-> similar mayan king ceremony sequence rites continued till 600-700AD
-> same kingly crown continued as imaged, for the next 800 years

"We keep finding new surprises at the San Bartolo site"
said Salvador Lopez, Director, Mayan Monuments, Guatemala's
Minisrty of Culture.

source: www.raidersnewsupdate.com...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

actually, any of the three versions are probably partly correct

but i tend to think that the RaidersUpdateNews version has a
christian slant with the birth/death/resurrection of the (creators)
Maize Gods' Son no less!

?whats next

new topics

top topics

join