It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Aliens Debunk Religion?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
what if aliens came to earth and told us there wer no other life forms in the Universe .... But then later we find out there is ! .
So aliens debunking aliens ?.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Great. Our first contact, and they are proven to be celestrial missionaries. Wonder how they would feel when they got here and found out we had already adopted the faith of our first galactic visitation.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It's not entirely implausible.

Probably even for ETs, interstellar travel is not trivial or cheap. Who would have the motivation?

If you have a strong religious missionary ideology....

After all, who came pretty quickly to the New World?

"Convert or be dematerialized"

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I want to take a shot at the alien and god thingy.
Lets assume that the Aliens are to be frendly and curious. They might exibit an intellectual interest in our history as a species together with our very human superstitions to include astrology, gods, our fantasy that citizens of a multitude of countries consider themselves to be the best in out little world, our penchant for trying to settle our differences by killing humans we think are somehow different from whichever of us who decided to send others into battle to be killed in war and then take offense at any criticism..
They might wonder why out supposed leaders never say..."follow me into battle" but sit safely home while sending the children of others, to war.
If they are advanced enough to develop the technology to get here they would have abandoned any archaic misconceotions of super beings eons before developing any advance technology.
But that's just my guess.
My hope is that they would find us cute and allow us to continue our efforts to be an advanced society even if we can't seem to advance past god concepts developed 7000 years ago in a place called Mesopotamia.
skep

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nouvelle
Hyperthetically,
If aliens did infact come to earth. Say peaceful and willing to help us to advance our technology and cure diseases. And someone explained to them the theory of god. One man creating the earth, and all the life, etc etc. Would a far advanced race even take a second to consider it, or make a attempt to debunk it because of their far advanced inteligence.
Or do they have their own "god" figure and would they push it on us?

This is honestly one of the best questions I have thunk (yep, thunk) about in a long time

I think that its almost to much for me to go on about right now, but in sort, I think that it would definatly change our ideas of religion. But, I think it would be highly situational.

If they attacked us - I think our faith would stay
If they came peacefully - I think it would be based off of what they told us and we asked.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

They would not have the chance to debunk religion.

Religion will probably debunk the aliens.

For that matter, religion will probably debunk us as well.

At least we'll have something in common with them

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The whole problem with Aliens is that we put way too much empahsis on them being uber inteligent.

If a monkey could appreciate the idea of a car. Then associate that any Human being using that car was uber intelligent. What would it mean if the chimp saw a snot nosed 16 year old driving a car around a parking lot?
Would it be right for that chimp to surmize that the human piloting that car was going to explain the universe or deconstruct his faith away? That the human had all the answers to the universe because the human could drive.

Really people, the emphasis on space travel in no way indicates a higher intelect that they (aliens) have all the answers. This is extreme wishfull thinking.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by nullster

Really people, the emphasis on space travel in no way indicates a higher intelect that they (aliens) have all the answers. This is extreme wishfull thinking.

Good point!

They may have been attracted to us from watching our TV programs, to include religious programming and Science Fiction programming.

Imagine aliens trying to transcribe and interpret what it is we are transmitting throughout space (entering wormholes and exiting wormholes millions of years ago???).

I believe they may have come here answering our distress calls as they watch the movie "Independance Day", or perhaps they are here to determine how we conquered death.

Imagine Aliens coming here to learn how to be immortal and wanting to learn how to rise from the dead? I could see them interpretting church services and spending 4 or 5 generations to get here to only find out we have not conquered death, but yet we report how someone 2,000 years ago arose from the dead after recieving capital punishment. Perhaps they are here to investigate the validity.

Wonder if they are satisfied with the answers?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer

For God's sake.. (should I say Alien's?) if they can create man, surely they can visit our planet and not crash into the ground. Do God's need to abduct us? Or mutilate cows? Or create crop circles? Or fly in our skys in ships?

If we say that aliens do exist, would there not be smarter aliens as compared to humans? Even our most intelligent people working for NASA can't figure out how to make the rockets work right half the time. They crash, the same way the aliens do.

Let's say space is the aliens home, we fly our shuttles there right?

Maybe this is just a good reason for the "Stigmata". The aliens abduct people to see our tolerance to deathening wounds compared to thiers. People do it to animals with all the cosmetic testing and such. Who's to say they aren't doing the same?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
There's no need for aliens to debunk religion because we've done it ourselves...although a few of us missed that memo when it was sent out (it would greatly appreciated if the pious could spare me their self-righteous indignation). However, the question of life after death, and how and why the universe came into existence, be it intelligent design or otherwise, is an entirely different issue.

I for one would be interested to hear any alien civilisations take on reality and the nature of existence. That is one reason why I aspire to be an intergalactic anthropologist.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Good and Evil R just human being concept, yeah there r good and evil (mankind concept) for reasons one of it (mankind is an intelligent being) no way to live with each others without good and evil, each one will kill the others without good,,,,,or,,,, and without Evil there is no meaning to Good,,,,, no meaning to white if we didn't know black,
human beings needs religion because they live in bizarre world so they need something to take it as a core of this life to feel safer, but I'm sorry to say there is something intelligent know these facts and exploit mankind (semi-humans "nomads")from long time (time too is just mankind concept there is mechanisim to feel and recognize time but its not exist), almost things we heard about miracles behind it other intelligent beings "entities", yeah there r telepathy, parapsychology, supernatural,,,, but what we can't make scientific explain to it, we've to be more aware of it, proving the existence of other intelligent entities is very easy (definitive proof).
-intelligence is essential for human survive, this is nature (science itself), its a kind of creative powre,
a real humankind is coming no more semi-humans.
================================================
allot of things in human aspect is very low,, like the concept of begin and end (limits) of this universe, when U've the ability of speed above the speed of light we'll change the concept of limits, yeah the relativity theory and quantum mechanics laws, I know that quantum mechanic is behind part of our progress nowadays but it will not work in future "like Newton's laws in the outer space", even the future generation will not take us as a real humans "mentally", Is speed of light the highest speed? there r more strong laws above speed of light, (how order came from disorder, law without law, in big bang theory!), this part needs long message the perception of human being depends on his ability, capabilities, (facilities)... but if he has ability for more speed his way of thinking will change and his look to the universe will be change I know relativity theory (life not easy at all)...... I read a lot of theories some of them about evolution, punctuated equilibrium,,, its nonsense whose wrote it has low level of thinking, sometimes shame on intelligence of mankind,,,, what we can't understand doesn't mean has no scientific rules.
Faith is a belief in the trustworthiness of an idea that one has not been proven formally and cannot prove formally its "Dogma", means don't use ur brain just beleive in, so when you became inside Religion Cage, you can use ur mind because you're already inside the cage.
the absurdity is (I want to ask you do U think that God has low level of thinking to make many religions! or he wants mankind to kill each others, or he cannot keep one religion for all mankind or or he wants to test semi-humans!!!, even they don't understand themselves nowaday, just imagine Mankind in the past!!! so U think they're more intelligent!!!, somekind of intelligence, used Mankind low level of thinking to get their goals, I've plain proofs, every thing in this universe is govern by science.
Mr. Bonehead always weak, that's why he looking for God to feel safer "his mind not up to face this bizarre world, to find reasonable explaination", do you think that God will test semi-human like them, this is nonsense the concept of good and evil is just mankind concept, every body should know, we did nothing in science, even we didn't open the gate of science yet, to make a real Artificial Intelligence we've to know what's perception unit, cognition, even our concept about perception, cognition,,, isn't accurate, whats exist now a days is not Intelligence at all.
I'm wondering r there real human beings posses mind!

MY BEST REGARDS.
zouran..................

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nouvelle
Hyperthetically,
If aliens did infact come to earth. Say peaceful and willing to help us to advance our technology and cure diseases. And someone explained to them the theory of god. One man creating the earth, and all the life, etc etc. Would a far advanced race even take a second to consider it, or make a attempt to debunk it because of their far advanced inteligence.
Or do they have their own "god" figure and would they push it on us?

I don't think they'd waste their time even bothering.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I have a question:

How did 'God' come into existence? Are we supposed to believe he just popped into existence from nothing then created the Universe? That sounds a whole hell of a lot more far-fetched than the premise of their being no God at all.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Originally posted by Yarcofin

It is my personal opinion that not even God itself could create itself. It had to be created by it's own God!

I ran across a great quote in an article of Discover Magazine discussing the three current theories about the beginning of our physical universe.

Yet the impulse behind this work far predates modern theories of the universe. In the fourth century A.D., St. Augustine pondered what the Lord was doing before the first day of Genesis (wryly repeating the exasperated retort that “He was preparing Hell for those who pry too deep”).

discovermagazine.com...

The Vatican recently released a statement that even aliens would be children of God.

My opinion? I think any visitors would go with the flow and confirm that we are all brothers in a grand universe that even they can't explain. Religion is too entrenched in our society so why add to the confusion with some other theory. Maybe after the shock wore off they would be able to explain things a little deeper, a little at a time.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Religion served a purpose of explaining things before philosophy and science came about. Early peoples worshipped he sun, moon and sky. things that were powerful but not understood. Now some people worship one god, which is basically the same thing to fill gaps of their knowledge.
I think that the more highly advanced the aliens, the less likely the need to believe in made up gods like we do. I doubt the older races would at all.
There must come a time when an old race must have so much knowledge that everything is known.
All science will be understood one day. I think we are still a long way from that though, come on LHC!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I think they would probably compliment religion allowing us to finally answer the mysterious questions of the Bible.

Thread reminds me of the "Enemy Mine" movie.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by scienceguy94

We are just television for some higher life form. As we scuttle around in all our madness they are laughing their collective asses off.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Read the Gods of Eden by William Bramley... the synopsis is... and based on that book my opinion is this... Aliens created the earth, like through terraforming, and populated it with life. Now in the bible this corresponds to God creating the earth, however, if we look at older texts, god is called Elohim, (him, the root for himmel, modern german for heaven) which is actually a plural for something like 'from heaven to earth came'... Now since these beings had technology that even today is 50, 000 years beyond ours, really quite unimaginable, the ancient people called them gods, which later became god, as they would interact with a single agent. From this you can start deciphering a large portion of the Old Testament. For example, the Tower of Babel is a story of how the ancient people became an advanced civilization, and decided to rebel against their creators. They started to build a tower to reach the heaven (most likely a spaceship or something along those lines), but when the creators saw that, they decided that humanity was too much of a threat, and broke us all up. For interpreting Noahs Ark, and how he took 2 of every pair, I like to this that Noah took DNA samples rather than actual animals, and through some crazy technology used the DNA and advanced knowledge of genetics to repopulate earth. The point I am trying to make is that people who were writing the bible were primitive, attempting to account for events that took place thousands of years before their time, the stories of which were passed down by words of mouth. In turn, if the biblical events took place today, we would describe them in much different terms. ---That is how I think benevolent e.t would describe THAT religion, the one that most people often turn to when attempting to disprove the notion of god by saying that he is evil, unreasonable, all all that... its not really god that the bible is speaking of.........----- However, I think that if benevolent ETs would come to earth they would most certainly bring not just advanced technological knowledge, but also advanced "spiritual" knowledge. I put that in quotation since spiritual simply means something that we cannot grasp with our intellect. They would most likely be familiar with parallel dimensions/universes which could be inhabited by creatures even more advanced than them, maybe like some sort of energy beings living in an immaterial dimension, who are in turn the progenitors of our creators. Much like people have described angels to be, made of light. I believe there exists a hierarchy in our universe, and that is not just limited to the 3 dimensions that we can see, but goes on ad infinitum. Of course, this is really quite mind boggling, perhaps beyond the human intellect. One thing I think people should NOT do is outright deny something because it does not fall under current scientific dogma, (our science has not even had its umbilical chord cut yet). but... what does everyone else think about this?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join