It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are colds "just in our heads"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
As I have grown up I have noticed that whenever I get a stuffy nose or small cough it always goes away when I do something exciting that takes my mind off of the sickness. So, when I do get colds, I intentionally think about something else. Is it like this for everyone? I don't think I can magically cure myself or anything, but do people take medicine way too far? We have medicine available for everything. I recently got a "respiratory infection", yes I fell into the spell of I am sick take me to the doctor. It was the first time I have EVER been to the doctor for something besides stitches. Did I make myself so congested and dreary so that I did not have to go to work, or did I just feel miserable towards myself? So I guess my question is if anyone else harldy gets sick because "it is just a cold and it will pass when it passes"? Or is sick, sick?... Or maybe my question is, is medicine necissary for every part of life? Should we just be a little more confident in our white blood cells?... (This does not pertain to large sicknesses or illnesses such as STD's or anything as major as that, just colds, minor flu's and such.)

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
your cold runs its course like everyones elses. Its pure coincidence that you think about exciting things, and the cold goes away. most colds only last for a few days

with that said, there are thousands of examples of mind over matter in the medical world. there is an obvious link between the mind and the body. I just don't think it pertains to colds. its more of a survival issue, where people with positive attitudes and the will to live have better outcomes than negative people with no will to live

We are an over medicated world, but I think you can seperate the truly ill from the hypochondriacs. (sp ?)

the pope even(JP II) weighed in on this. he said americans don't know the meaning of suffering, we pop a pill at the slightest malady or symtom. he said we suck up too much of the worlds medicine on things like shyness or gas.

the common cold comes from a virus, it is real.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Are colds "just in our heads"?

Head colds are!

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
All I know is people I know who take meds for evey little thing seem to get sick more and stay sick longer, I never take meds for anything, and rarely get sick and when I do it lasts at most a couple days..

top topics

join