It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sleep paralysis is almost a demonic possession!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527

Originally posted by morbidlyobtuse
reply to post by deadline527

I've been told this a few times before, but I feel like since %90 of my SP has involved sensing a malevolent entity in my presence, I'm reluctant wanna leave my body for fear of become possessed or attacked on a different plane, ya know?

There's been times I've felt like my body was floating or being pulled off the bed. Is that OB related?

Floating, yes. Being pulled.. I would have to say no on that. Any time I leave my body I actually have to roll out of it, literally. But instead of my physical body rolling, its my astral body. Much like how your hand was moving, yet it wasn't. Well think of that, just with your whole entire body separating instead of just one part.

I think the feeling of being watched, or something evil is basically from the fear involved. I will be the first to admit its scary as hell when you dont know what is happening. I used to be terrified of sleep paralysis so much that I would only sleep on my side in hopes to minimize it. Now that I've found out a use for it, I dont get it nearly as much as I want, lol.

Now, you also could be dreaming that you are in your bed and being pulled off it. Its not uncommon to dream that you are laying in bed, and sometimes when things happen in the dream, people think that it really happened over night. I am not dismissing it as this, just saying it does happened.

funny that you say that... I find that sleeping on my back makes it less scary or happen less. I used to sleep on my side, but then started experiencing the sense of something lying behind me and breathing heavy (almost snoring) obnoxiously in my ear

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Jeeze Louise, this thread has me creeped the you-know-what OUT! I truly hope it's not demonic in nature, that would just suck. OOBE or chemical reaction, OK, I can deal with that.

I recently had my first and only sp "incident" a few months ago. Woke up on my back, heavy weight on chest and I couldn't move. I could see my wife and I was trying to call out to her, but just faint gasps would come out. I hoped I wasn't having a heart attack or something, and I guess I just came out of it. I googled and learned about SP for the first time the following day.

I've had a few good lucid dreams too, but never on purpose, it just happened. I've always felt I could be good at AP or OOBE, whatever it is, but I never committed any time to really get into it.

That would be good if they were all connected, like some here have stated, I think that helps me believe it's not demons.

*pokes fingers in ears, squints eyes shut tight, please don't be demons, please don't be demons*

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

I think of it like this. The fear involved is mostly because you have no idea what is happening, and when you are in a half sleep-half wake state, you get what is called hypnogogic hallucinations. These can be anything from whispers in your ear, to shadows, to loud noises and often coincide with sleep paralysis.

Just think of how many people have had sleep paralysis. A LOT. How many of them people have ever been hurt? None. Sure they may have been scared, but waking up unable to move definitely IS scary. No doubt about that. But, once you start learning more about what sleep paralysis is and why it occurs, the misconception of demonic attacks is quite easily refuted.

Anyone who practices astral projection or is able to successfully project, will most likely tell you they have experienced sleep paralysis when doing it. This is because sleep paralysis happens in the exact same state of sleep that you need to be in to astral project. This half wake, half sleep state is the key.

Please don't fear it. Nothing bad is going to happen to you. Its just you have found a very thin line between sleep and wake, that your body is basically in both at the same time.

We dont want our body to act our what we do in our dreams, so this is why our body is unable to move while we sleep. But, we are at the same time conscious and able to realize we are unable to move.

Here is my little graph... lol.

[----------|--------------|------------|------------]
A---------B--------------C-----------D-----------E

A = Body is awake. Mind is fully conscious.
B = Body is falling asleep. Mind is still conscious.
C = Body is asleep. Mind is in a semi-conscious state where hypnogogic hallucinations begin. Usually you feel like you have no body at this time. Perfect state for OOBE.
D = Body is asleep. Mind is entering dreams.
E = Body is asleep. Mind is dreaming.

So basically. To astral project, you need to catch yourself in state (C) before you pass into a deep state (D). If you pass into state (E) you went too far and will just dream until you wake up.

In the case of sleep paralysis, you go from a state (D) or (E), but instead of waking up, you get stuck at state (C) before you're awake. No demonic attack, just your mind waking up before your body decides to.

---

Anyway. Hope this helped a little bit. I know its not the best graph, but is a quick visual representation of the way you fall asleep, and where sleep paralysis usually occurs in that time frame.

[edit on 11/2/2009 by deadline527]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I know alot of people contend that SP is just a form of dreaming mixed with consciousness, but if that were true, I wouldn't be visited by the same demonic thing every night. I usually have lucid dreams and I should be able to control this, right?

I can't pretend not to believe in it, because it most definitely believes in me

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
From my experience and research demons come in many forms and contrary to a lot of the pictures and info they are much more subtle now.

Most common in the form of parasites and bacteria, the extreme end of this can be seen as cancer where they will invade the human body and start destroying the host.

But equally they can come in other forms such as the traditional image of demons, shadow forms and reptiles (Snakes, lizards etc).

I witnessed in wile in Asia a demon that looked like a pretty woman until I looked at her feet and noticed they looked backwards and like those found on a chicken/bird, a Hokum demon.

I think the ones that are affecting people just prior to sleeping are probably malevolent child like demons (in Arabic culture called Shay-teens or devils).

I think we humans tend to give them more limelight than they deserve as generally demons display a childish nature so they are mischievous and often vindictive they are not that smart and easily combated.

I'll try and find out some more info but I would suggest changing the time you sleep, repositioning your room items (rooms are known to act as portals between dimensions and phases) and also ensure your diet is good with plenty of exercise - a good state of mind is the first step in dealing with this.

Also avoid getting intoxicated prior to sleeping, even taking one drink or smoking a cigarette (from my experience) has caused me to fall into the 'detached' state and I can feel myself sinking prior to the demonic attacks.

I have one theory that those of us who suffer or who have suffered from this inadvertently are phase shifting somehow and allowing ourselves to slip into another dimension where we are visible and open to attacks.

Would be good if those that have experienced this could post descriptions of what they felt, smelt and saw prior to the event, during the event and post SP - would be good to do some analysis on the data.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by old_god

it's funny that you mention the time thing. SP normally happens to be at or just a little after 3AM. Is there something to this?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by morbidlyobtuse

I must admit, the other day I had quite a scary encounter at 3:04 AM exactly that has never happened to me before. Basically I was laying in bed, about to go to sleep after the lady left for the night, and I just got the crazy feeling in my room. I cant explain it, wish I could. Needless to say, I ran the hell out of there like an Olympic track star.

It was probably the most frightening experience I can remember in my recent past.

Just wanted to add this because of the 3 AM thing. I also am quite good at knowing when I am dreaming so I can tell you I definitely wasn't.

As for your visitations at night morbid, if that was me I would pass it off as hypnogogic hallucinations when you are barely woken up from sleep and just before you fall back asleep. I've seen and heard some crazy things in them times. I've had my name yelled in my ear quite loudly that jumped me out of bed, felt like something touched my shoulder, and I have thought I've seen shadows but cannot prove it and they were also very fleeting.

Here is just a few things associated with Hypnogogia and what it entails. You may find some similarities. Although, since I am not you, only you know what you saw, and sometimes these mundane explanations just dont fit the bill. Hopefully some of these quotes may help you.

en.wikipedia.org...

Among the more commonly reported,[23][24] and more thoroughly researched, sensory features of hypnagogia are phosphenes which can manifest as seemingly random speckles, lines or geometrical patterns, including form constants, or as figurative (representational) images. They may be monochromatic or richly colored, still or moving, flat or three-dimensional (offering an impression of perspective). Imagery representing movement through tunnels of light is also reported. Individual images are typically fleeting and given to very rapid changes. They are said to differ from dreams proper in that hypnagogic imagery is usually static and lacking in narrative content,[25] although others understand the state rather as a gradual transition from hypnagogia to fragmentary dreams,[26] i.e. from simple ‘eigenlicht’ to whole imagined scenes. Hypnagogia can be induced with a Dreamachine, which uses a pulsing frequency of light close to alpha waves to create this effect. Descriptions of exceptionally vivid and elaborate hypnagogic visuals can be found in the work of Marie-Jean-Léon, Marquis d'Hervey de Saint Denys.

Humming, roaring, hissing, rushing and buzzing noises are frequent in conjunction with sleep paralysis (SP). This happens when the REM atonia sets in sooner than usual, before the person is fully asleep, or persists longer than usual, after the person has (in other respects) fully awoken.[30] SP is reportedly very frequent among narcoleptics. It occurs frequently in about 6% of the rest of the population, and occurs occasionally in 60%.[31] In surveys from Canada, China, England, Japan and Nigeria, 20 to 60% of individuals reported having experienced SP at least once in their lifetime.[32][33] The paralysis itself is frequently accompanied by additional phenomena. Typical examples include a feeling of being crushed or suffocated, electric ‘tingles’ or ‘vibrations’, imagined speech and other noises, the imagined presence of a visible or invisible entity, and sometimes intense emotion: fear or euphoria and orgasmic feelings.[34][35] SP has been proposed as an explanation for at least some alien abduction experiences and shadow people hauntings.[36]

Hypnagogic imagery is often auditory or has an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on – or summations of – their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject’s own ‘inner voice’, or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
If a demon wanted to possess you why would it wait til night time? I mean they are whispering in your ear all day trying to get you to do things, but switch their m.o. when night comes?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527

I must admit, the other day I had quite a scary encounter at 3:04 AM exactly that has never happened to me before. Basically I was laying in bed, about to go to sleep after the lady left for the night, and I just got the crazy feeling in my room. I cant explain it, wish I could. Needless to say, I ran the hell out of there like an Olympic track star.

so what happened exactly?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
If a demon wanted to possess you why would it wait til night time? I mean they are whispering in your ear all day trying to get you to do things, but switch their m.o. when night comes?

I forget where it is exactly, but even the bible says something about evil conspiring (working) in the dark (shadows). This always comes to mind when I think about why at night

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I used to experience this and it was exactly as many have described, sinking feeling and someone pushing pushing the palm of there hand into your chest holding you down.

Sometimes it was mixed with other "things", the absolute worst went on for 3 nights and was a dream that continued each time I fell back to sleep, its hard to explain but the atmosphere of the room would change - the only way that I can describe it is that you know when sun rays flood through a partially opened curtain and you can see the dust floating around? well it was like I could actually feel those dust particles in the air, like super sensitivity, then some presence came up the bed sheets from my feet all the way up and I would be trying to move but couldn't until I'd wake up.

Anyway the "dream" ended on the third day (finally) all weirdly, I had put the light on radio and a fan, cutting a long story short what I heard on the radio was from the future as it was repeated word for word when I woke up (obviously it may have just been repeated but it was quite lengthy!), I felt the fan (or at least I thought it was the fan until I woke up) fall off the bed side cabinet and land on my back (like something pressing hard there) but when I looked it haden't moved.

Following that I slept downstairs infront of the tv for a few more days!!

The last sp I experienced was with my gf and she told me that I was moving, despite the fact I couldn't in my dream....

[edit on 3-11-2009 by 101001101]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Yeah and it also says the devil appears as an angel of light.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

yea, it says he can disguise himself as an angel of light, but I don't get how that's necessarily relevant

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Because you're talking about "conspiring and working in dark shadows", yet the main "bad guy" is appearing as an angel of light and not conspiring and working in dark shadows, do you get it now? There is no limit to how a demon operates, they aren't confined to working at night and torturing people while they're sleep.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Thought I'd add something I remembered from my experience...

I had a sensation of being able to see without my eyes open but it wasn't just my normal vision, I got the sense I was able to see more and momentarily aware of more of my surroundings (probably the OOBE effect some describe?).

The fear can be overwhelming but the last time it happened the fear went through my body like an electrics tingle and just made me more alert and more focused afterwards (probably my fear manifesting differently as I got used to it?)

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

no doubt that they can operate through a disguise of light, but all I'm saying is that in my particular case, there's definitely something there, it's menacing, frightening, and it's not God, so...

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
A few random thoughts....

Too many people share the exact same experiences when talking about SP.

Spirits often communicate via dreams.

Sleeping in a certain position, one which I call the mummy position, seems to thwart SP.

Shadow spirits appear often during SP, some even tell you that you're dead or try to seduce you

Going to bed under the influence of alcohol, pain killers or the drug of your choice can thwarts SP.

Say F-U or some religious rhetoric while under SP to make "it" go away

People die in their sleep all the time, this is when the mind is most vulnerable, some simply give up fighting the entity and cross over before their time.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by Better Mouse Trap]

[edit on 5-11-2009 by Better Mouse Trap]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Had some quick SP last night. Woke up to SP. And had a crazy black shadow thing right by my head moving fast and crazy like it was attacking me, it was I think. I also had a sense before that of it trying to be sexual, and it had female vibe. Seriously creep scary crap.

After it ended, I just went back to sleep happily. It didn't phase me one bit lol. (because I've had sleep paralysis many times, sometimes on purpose to get obe, I enjoy it haha)

[edit on 5-11-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Had some quick SP last night. Woke up to SP. And had a crazy black shadow thing right by my head moving fast and crazy like it was attacking me, it was I think. I also had a sense before that of it trying to be sexual, and it had female vibe. Seriously creep scary crap.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by _Phoenix_]

When I experience the shadow spirit that had the "female vibe," I suddenly felt a masculine presence and said f**** you bi***. It disappeared and I awoke.

The house was later determined to be haunted, if I had known it was at that time, I would have moved years earlier than I did. There's no need to stay in environments like that, sure they do it in the movies, but if you want a good nights sleep, I suggest packing your bags

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
are you saying that you're able to speak in SP?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join