It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robotic Bartenders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
How would you like to see a robot that can make a martini how you like it, talk to you about your problems, and greet you with a proper handshake? He even wears a bowtie.

www.livescience.com
The T-Rot thinking robot will make its public debut at the APEC forum underway now in Busan, Korea. T-Rot is shown below tending bar at the Robot Cafe, pouring a drink for Kim Mun-Sang, director of the Ministry of Science and Technology Robot taskforce).

T-Rot has two cameras which help it recognize both people and objects -- like bottles, glasses and refrigerators -- and see their position in three dimensions. It also has the capability of listening to customers and responding with appropriate conversational comments.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While I do think this is pretty amazing in itself I do believe that if bartenders turn robotic, there goes the slightly more stiff drinks the people behind the bar can give you.

If this does take off and get better over time, what will happen to the Coyote Ugly bartenders?

Related News Links:
www.technovelgy.com Part 1
www.technovelgy.com Part 2

[edit on 13-12-2005 by Shaker]
No longer a submission I guess...

[edit on 13-12-2005 by Shaker]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
U mean no more badly dressed, pill-popping bartenders ?

hell yeah!

I think the fact that they will make drinks properly will help solve some binge-drinking problems people adopt because they somehow think being a drunken mess is cute, and also prevent drink-spiking (because bartenders are in on it sometimes too). They could perhaps even determine when a customer had had enough and literally cut em off, therefore reducing arguments and harrassment of staff.

I'ma bouncer and it would certainly make my job easier

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Cool Idea in some ways.
Would definitely give the bar owner more control over "pours".

How would you tip a boozebot?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Sign my up for one of those bars, A bartender that always gets my drinks right and I dont have to tip him either

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Now there are a couple things I didn't think about when reading this article. I was thinking of it more along the lines of the "inebriate-ee."

My guess is that the bar owner would be better off from a business point of view, depending on the cost of the robot. You would only have to pay for it once, and maybe a maintenance fee every so often. But you wouldn't have to worry about them getting tips or having to pay them wages.

You could also fit a better breathalyzer on them to get an idea of when to cut off the drinks. And barring any "big brother" type ideas here, the robot could record the identity of the drinker by biometrics and that could help determine who they are for the taxi it calls.

I just hope robotic bouncers don't come about. I'm sure their punches would hurt...

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shaker

I just hope robotic bouncers don't come about. I'm sure their punches would hurt...

LOL that mental picture gave me a good laugh

Take it outside buddy

LOL

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Thanks, now I have to clean Cherry Coke off my monitor....

Good one!!!

new topics

top topics

join