It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mysterious Outbreak Of Mud And Gas Geysers In Oklahoma Has Officials Puzzled.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Ok, I read the whole thing about how they were drilling in the area blah blah blah. I am sorry, but if it was them, then why the heck did they sit back and let people freak out about it for 6 days before they said anything? Sounds like a free plug to me. Everyone beyond that area knows their name now. Now granted, it might me posible. Cold water geysers are very rare, but they do happen. I cant think of anything else it would be. I just dont see how any company would just sit back and watch all the up roar for 6 days before they say "oh yea, it was me. oops."

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I found you guy's while checking out this Geyser thing in OK.
I did alot of reading and I am quite sure I didn't read all your comments on the matter. so please excuse me for any repeats I may add.
I was an oil field driller for many years (1977 to 1994) so I feel I might understand some of the problems they are having in Ok. Someone on this thread wisely mentioned that if it was a rig at fault the pressure to cause blowouts 13 to 15 miles away would surely blow that rig to Kansas,,, how very true. My estimate is Central Nebraska. You just can't hold back that kind of pressure with a open hole and weight mud.
I am the very person that drilled and discovered the exact zone at Hollyrood that turned out being the largest Helium field discovery in the world. (The geo was sleeping and I had to wake him. He tried to say nothing was there they would be interested in 'cause we were way too high. I had to convince him the reason that 40 foot + thick zone drilled so slow is 'cause I had to hold the brake handle and lower pump pressure to keep the drill string from falling through and getting stuck.) (unless you are oil patch you just wouldn't understand). ""I"" convinced them to inspect the samples I personally caught and run a DST and were they suprised.
My oldest brother is a paleontoligist and geologist. My second brother is a geologist for the State Of Kansas. But on to my theory.
Nobody mentioned the wild fires they are having in the very same area. Related??? Probably.
Here is my theory, bare with me. I am not a Volcano expert. Look at the Hawian Island chain. They were formed by the movement of the plates. The shaft of magma traveled to the surface, formed a cone,,, went dormet,,, the plates moved on ,,,volcano magma shaft made another cone,, another island is built and the cycle goes on and on,, thus the formation of the island chain. Now picture this,,,, Arkansas was a volcano,,, YES IT was!!! It is so old it is long eroded away and there is only diamonds left. Yes, they are finding that clear carbon there. I don't really know what direction the plates are moving here but I would bet Arkansas used to be right smack on top of the site Oklahoma city is sitting. I feel the shaft of magma might now be under Oklahoma and just might be trying to make another push to the surface. They have maps of the current hot spots around the world,, I would like to see some prehistoric maps of the hot spots,, that is if the cave men made any.
Hey,, check out my car!!
community.webshots.com...
community.webshots.com...
One of these should work. We were rock crawling at Disney, Ok.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I suspect that with the lack of earthquake activity earthquake.usgs.gov...
that this is merely a leaking natural gas well, perhaps even an old capped off gas well. It may have nothing to do with a current drilling project...this may be a well that has been in existance for a long time. These gases can travel for many miles laterally until they find an escape route.

One other possibility is to examine the garbage landfills within 20 miles. If their ventilation systems aren't set properly then there could be build up of pressure looking for an escape.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Binderbird, thanks a lot for the story. The experience you have in the oilfield, what Valhall and I have been discussing and what I have discussed with the geologists friends of mine, one which is right now awake in another room in the same trailer I am in, have all said the same thing. It might not be a volcano per se, but even the most skeptic geologist i talked to in this rig is puzzled by this. On the one hand it appears as if it could be related to hydrocarbons because of the possible smell, but on the other hand the area which was affected is too big to have been caused by a rig where they are presently drilling, and as the three of us who have worked/or work in the oilfield know, this would have blown the rig to kindom come.

Recently I have come upon a series of articles which has me concerned.

This is not only happening in Ok, and not only on land.

Here are some of those articles i found. I was going to make another thread, but I think it is better to keep them all together in this one thread.

Many present seismic events seem to be puzzling scientist as of late.

Maine Ocean Floor Has Mud-Trapped Gas

PORTLAND, Maine Dec 28, 2005 — The Maine coast has dozens of methane gas fields on the ocean bottom where mud-trapped gas occasionally bubbles to the surface, according to a team of University of Maine scientists.

There are 70 known gas fields between Portland and Eastport, and the rising bubbles create craters or pits, according to the scientists, who are publishing their findings in Marine Geology magazine. The largest crater is the size of a football stadium.

The gas fields have no commercial value, the scientists say, but they could pose a hazard for man-made objects on the ocean floor such as utility lines that connect the mainland to Maine's islands.
Most of the craters are between 32 feet and 260 feet in diameter. The largest, in Belfast Bay, is more than 650 feet wide and 100 feet deep.

In their paper, Kelley and Belknap argue that the craters are evidence of gas eruptions, with gas seeping out of the soupy mud through sandy veins and burping through the ocean floor with enough violence to create bowl-shaped pockmarks.

Excerpted from.
abcnews.go.com...

Could what is happening in Ok get worse and produce large fields of gas geysers? What would that mean to the people living in the town so close to these gas fields?

Science Features

Scientists observe rare continental rift process in Ethiopia

Addis Ababa - A continental rifting process that normally takes millions of years to form has developed over a span of seven weeks in the Afar region of northeastern Ethiopia.

It was a close study, using radar interferometry, of an earth rupture developing into a rare axial rift zone -- a future possible ocean basin.

As Associate Professor Atalay Ayele of the Geophysical Observatory of the Addis Ababa University (AAU) tells it, scientists from Ethiopia and Britain made four expeditions to the Da'ure locality in the Afar Depression between mid-September and early October to collect geophysical and geological data.

The series of quakes was first recorded at the AAU on September 14 in Da'ure, an area in the lowlands of the Western Ethiopia Escarpment that stretches from the central part of the country to the Dahlak Islands of Eritrea in the Red Sea.

The volcanic activity, recorded at N 12.651 degrees longtitude and E 40.519 degrees latitude, spewed ash for three continuous days and eventually numerous cracks appeared in the ground, spreading fear among the pastoralist inhabitants.

Unsettled by the unusual phenomena of rumbling tremors they approached the regional authorities to ask the federal government in Addis Ababa to look into it.

Excerpted from.
science.monstersandcritics.com...

Volcano's current growth baffles experts
Mount St. Helens has squeezed out as much hot chunky lava in the past 15 months as the volcano erupted over six years in the 1980s.
Even as the volcano pours about a dump truck load of red-hot lava onto its growing new dome every six seconds, scientists still don't know what's causing the eruption, Sherrod said.

If the lava was originating as molten rock inside the volcano, scientists would expect to see changes in the shape of Mount St. Helens, with the sides compressing in like a squeezed toothpaste tube. But that hasn't been happening.

If the molten rock was climbing up into the volcano from deep underground or near the earth's crust, scientists would expect to measure very deep seismic activity. But they can't detect that either.

By monitoring and measuring the dome, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of why Mount St. Helens is erupting and what will happen next, but their studies will be going slow until the weather improves.

Excerpted from.
www.tdn.com...

Are all these events related? I don't know the anwser for certain, but it is strange that seismic events seem to be increasing all over the world.

As to what is the cause of all this? Some people might argue that human activity is the sole reason for this increase in seismic events, except it is happening to all planets in the solar system, including the Sun, so there must be something else that is causing all of this.

I have presented in the past in other threads what I believe could be the cause of all this increase in seismic activity, not only on Earth, but the entire solar system. But then again, i guess that is better left for another thread, because noone knows for certain what is causing all of this mayhem, so it would be only speculation to say with 100% certainty what is the cause of all this.

My question still stands, could this geyser field of gas in Ok be but a prelude of what is to come? or are all of these seismic events just flukes?

[edit on 1-1-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Binderbird,

You've breathed new life into this story that remains unresolved. Unless I have missed a news article this story went away with an "authorities suspect a well" and nothing conclusive.

This the last news I can find on the situation.

www.kfor.com...

This article states:

Investigators believe natural gas drilling by Chesapeake Energy just west of Okarche is the cause and Chesapeake is increasing the amount of gas it's taking out of the area. Skinner says the production is reducing the pressure and Chesapeake hopes to begin plugging the well sometime next week.

But here's the deal...of course if you have a well that is drawing from a the same natural gas reserve and you increase production out of that well, you're going to decrease the pressure in the overall reservoir...even if you didn't cause the problem in the first place. BUT - I still contend that drilling a well can't cause this, and I think you and Muaddib agree with that. So the situation now sits at Chesapeake Oil taking the implied blame, when, in fact, they may be who is making the surface indications go away.

I still contend something else must have caused a massive pressure increase in this reservoir (and this is with us assuming it is natural gas coming out of the geysers). I cannot come up with any scenario involved with drilling a well that could cause surface geysers for 13 miles.

By the way, I love your car! and the "rock crawling" pics are awesome.

Muaddib, thanks for the articles.

[edit on 1-1-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
www.kfor.com...

This article states:

Investigators believe natural gas drilling by Chesapeake Energy just west of Okarche is the cause and Chesapeake is increasing the amount of gas it's taking out of the area. Skinner says the production is reducing the pressure and Chesapeake hopes to begin plugging the well sometime next week.

But here's the deal...of course if you have a well that is drawing from a the same natural gas reserve and you increase production out of that well, you're going to decrease the pressure in the overall reservoir...even if you didn't cause the problem in the first place. BUT - I still contend that drilling a well can't cause this, and I think you and Muaddib agree with that. So the situation now sits at Chesapeake Oil taking the implied blame, when, in fact, they may be who is making the surface indications go away.

I still contend something else must have caused a massive pressure increase in this reservoir (and this is with us assuming it is natural gas coming out of the geysers). I cannot come up with any scenario involved with drilling a well that could cause surface geysers for 13 miles.

By the way, I love your car! and the "rock crawling" pics are awesome.

Muaddib, thanks for the articles.

[edit on 1-1-2006 by Valhall]

Val I agree with your assessment except for one thing. What if the pressure of the Natural Gas in the pocket was acting as a cork on pressure elsewhere? As Chesapeake Oil reduces pressure in the gas pocket they might be allowing pressure that was contained by the pocket to ecsape.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Agreed Jim. That's what I'm saying. Chesapeake increasing the production on this well is causing a relief valve...but something else would have to have caused the significant increase in the first place. And my argument is, that wasn't a well that caused that. I think something below the gas reservoir pushed up.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I am very pleased I found this forum. I know most of what we express here won't be fact but this is how great things are realised and discovered. I will try to participate in your discussions as much as I can.
I am in Wichita Ks. and will keep an eye out for any local stories about these geysers that might pop up and add them here.
Right now I am going to search the forum for any discussions concerning the massive amounts of diesel fuel "they" have been dumping into the 87 octain. "They" are breaking federal law by doing this but when it's the Feds breaking their own laws,,, who is there to prosecute? HAPPY NEW YEAR!

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
If anyone is watching,,, get on the sceince channel right now. 8:00 central time right now They are talking about super volcanos. They say they are undetectable. My theory for Oklahoma?

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Hey guys,

Is there any update on this story. Did they actually find the source?

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I cant help but wonder if these geysers and some of the fires dont have something to do with the Raton-Clayton volcanic field.

The Raton-Clayton field is one of the best examples of a large volcanic field in the world. Volcanic fields differ from the more popular conception of volcanoes, like Hawaii or Mount St. Helens..........The volcanic field covers nearly 7500 square miles of northeastern New Mexico and adjoining Colorado and Oklahoma. The distinctive characteristic of the Raton-Clayton field is its great size, young age, continental interior setting, and possible association with one of the few volcanic hot spots in the world.............

Raton-Clayton info

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I did a little research and found an article or two that indicated that a drilling company was, in fact, responsible for the situation. I believe the leak has been fixed.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Well thats a bummer. That is a very boring ending to this story. I like the other ending better.

(i am however glad that no one was hurt or endangered.)

[edit on 6-1-2006 by mrsdudara]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by davenman
I did a little research and found an article or two that indicated that a drilling company was, in fact, responsible for the situation. I believe the leak has been fixed.

Can you please supply a link to some of the information you found? Thank you very much!

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I'd like to see those links as well.

The accusation could still be wrong. We need more details.

EDIT: BTW, Binderbird, I love your theory.

[edit on 7-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Here are 2 links that I found.

www.kotv.com...

www.redorbit.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   

www.kotv.com...

www.redorbit.com...

They say they "believe" this to be the cause, but are not certain of it and offer no real proof.

I still don't believe that explanation, and anyone that has worked in the oilfiled services would tell you the same thing.

[edit on 7-1-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Maybe yellowstone is about to blow and tunnels are being made to hold most people in while the nuclear winter is happening

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   

www.redorbit.com...

Holy crap! Chesapeake hit pay dirt on this thing!

It is producing more than 20 million cubic feet of natural gas each day, about 20 times more than the average well in the area, he said.

"This well is a well that is a complete anomaly for the area," Price said.

"This thing's flowing about 22.5 million (cubic feet) a day, and it's not at full flow," he said. "That's a lot of gas, and that's not counting what's already come up through the creek."

Okay, they are starting to sway me now. The only thing left to explain that would get me fully bought in is the conduit (the path) by which this gas was supposed to have traveled 13 miles laterally. If there is an underground path that allows this much volume of gas to travel that far and go to surface over that distance...then we've got a faultline in Kingfisher County that no one has previously discovered. And that's the ONLY explanation if you want to blame this well.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Numerous times scientists say they don't get seismic readings when volcanic domes are in their early stages. My theory stands.
I've searched for maps of old dormet volcanos and can't find any. I even tried to find maps of prehistoric plate movement. If anyone finds links to stuff like that can you post it here?
Valhall and Loam,,, thanks for the compliments, I've had that car since I was 18 ,,, I'm 46 now. We have been accepted by the National Show Producers Inc. to enter the Binderbird in the 49th annual Darrell Starbird Rod & Custom Car Show in Wichita, Kansas January 20, 21, 22. They entered us in the top ten competition. Wish us luck?
Hey mrsdudara,, nice link. up:
[edit on 14-1-2006 by Binderbird]:

[edit on 14-1-2006 by Binderbird]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join