It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Clemency Denied for Stanley "Tookie" Williams

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
With all due respect to all members here I am still having trouble understanding how people can WANT someone to die so badly, and with such passion. Regardless of what they have done, especially with it being over 20 yars ago, it doesn't make it right IMO

I even read comments about this being televised so people can watch him die

This world is sicker than I thought.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
You got the time zone mixed Grady. he is do to die at 12:01 AM PST.

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Williams will die shortly after 0001PST or 0801GMT.

Is that better?

Sorry.

[edit on 2005/12/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded

I even read comments about this being televised so people can watch him die....

William's execution will not be televised, but all executions should be available to all taxpayers.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'm with you on this one, I'm Jaded.

Any society or country that carries out the death sentence is IMHO a PRIMITIVE one.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Any society or country that carries out the death sentence is IMHO a PRIMITIVE one.

Couldn't agree more. Regardless - having pride or a sense of satisfaction in this barbaric act borders on lunacy....or blood lust imo.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The Victems:

Albert Owens, 26

Yen-I Yang, 76
Tsai-Shai Chen Yang, 63
Yu-Chin Yang Lin, 43

Albert had the misfortune of working at the 7-11 in Whittier, CA when our nobel nominee decided to gun him down and He killed the Yangs and thier daughter who owned a Los Angeles area hotel.

Tookie has not reformed and much like Governor Schwarzenegger, this is just a ploy to save his own life.

In addition, the governor noted that Williams dedicated his 1998 book "Life in Prison" to a list of figures that included the black militant George Jackson — "a significant indicator that Williams is not reformed and that he still sees violence and lawlessness as a legitimate means to address societal problems."

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Potatoe potato. Is caging a human being in a small cell any more or less primitive? Many posters in this thread and others on the death penalty feel that life in prison is more punishment than the death penalty itself. So is the whole concept of punishment primitive?

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well, in a working society the prison would be meant to reform the person, for the person to be released into society after that. But that doesn't work that well at all, because IMO there's not much being done to help those prisoners, even the sick (or what other people would call "evil" ones.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
punishment is one thing. want the man to die and being glad about it and saying how much he deserves it is another. im not going to disagree that the death pentalty should be used, but only if the person feels they rather die for their actions then sit in a cell for the rest of their life.

as for the people he killed. people get killed daily, is one or 2 murders any less wrong then 1. if your going to kill a murder, let it be all murders, not just the ones that wont cut a deal with the prosecution.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Saving Tookie and commuting to life in prison is the easiest decision they can do, but no..... that is not in the republicans plans. They hope people will rise & riot if gives them an excuse to take away more civil rights from the US population.
Cnn & Fox will be busy in the next few days reporting riots . stay tuned.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bretmania

Cnn & Fox will be busy in the next few days reporting riots . stay tuned.

American justice does not yeild to blackmail. I'm locked and loaded.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
this is news to me, but I just found this Affidavit on this website

Scroll downto where it says "New Evidence", it is in a pdf format

read that affidavit and then tell me he had a fair trial.

Regardess of if he did it or not, taking his life is not solving anything and the death penalty certainly does not prevent future crimes.

[edit on 12-12-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Of course it’s all politics. Tookie's last hope was Supreme Court Associate Justice, Sandra Day O'Conner. Justice O'Conner is the Grand Marshall for the upcoming Rose Parade in Pasadena; she decided the fate of the King of the upcoming Los Angeles Kwanza Parade.

She should have recused herself

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I just heard the funniest comment on the radio station I listen to, & I know it's off topic for the man & what he did, but it had a lot to do with him, but it makes lite of the situation Stanley "Tookie" Williams is in, & I thought I'd share the joke.

The radio DJ noticed how funny it is, that Govenor Arnold Swartznegger was the only one who could give him clemency, so he said over the air live, that it look like the "Terminator is the only one who can save Stanley "Tookie" Williams", & I almost drove off the road with laughter.

Can you see it now...the Terminator busting down Stanley "Tookie" Williams cell wall, with a huge gun in his hand, & telling him his time was up, it was time for Judgement.

If this offends some people, sorry, but I thought it was funny, & I know he's done a lot of good for the people of the community after all the bad he helped create. I still think he should get the death sentence, he helped create a monster, & it hasn't been slain yet, plus he did murder those people.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

If this offends some people, sorry, but I thought it was funny,

No offence taken, the only thing I am offended by is the fact that an actor, and a bad one at that, is actually the governor of Cali.

Now that is still funny to me

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   

no a country which refuses to punish people over naive moral concepts is primitve.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Tookie's lawyer walks into his client's death row cell and says, "I've got good news, and bad news for you."

Tookie says, "Okay. What's the bad news?"

"The bad news is that the Governor denied your request for clemency."

"Oh that's terrible. What possibly could be the good news?"

"The good news is that I got your voltage reduced!"

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJadedRegardess of if he did it or not, taking his life is not solving anything and the death penalty certainly does not prevent future crimes.

its about punishment not solving anything or revenge.
and yes does, we tried barring the death penalty once and murders sky rocketted.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I don't think that "Tookie" jokes are in order. This is a truly tragic event and those who take pleasure in it are misguided, at best. In order for Williams to be eligible for death in this case, four innocent people had to die terrible deaths. Williams' death, while being the culmination of justice, is no less tragic. He is an intelligent man with gifts that could have been put to good use to the greater good. It's too bad that it took many years on death row, including six and a half years in solitary confinement for a series of violent outbursts in prison, to bring out his best.

Some might find this opinion piece a worthy read:

Our real heroes don't kill black kids

I applaud Williams' efforts, while incarcerated, to steer youngsters from the ruthless gang life. But the people who dishonestly paint folk hero portraits of men such as Abu-Jamal and Williams (and even of 50 Cent, the thug and drug dealer-turned-rapper whose chief claim to fame is surviving being shot nine times by a rival) would do far more good by hitting young people with another message: that personal responsibility and accountability must be a part of civilized society.

In 2003, when L.A. experienced a 23% drop in homicides, 39% of the city's 505 murder victims were black and 36% of the homicide suspects were black, though only 11% of the city's population is black. For five straight years, about 40% of L.A.'s homicide victims have been black. If the celebrities and community activists supporting Williams began lifting up real community heroes — such as teachers, police officers, members of the clergy, hardworking parents or veterans of the Iraq war — maybe we could begin to change the dynamics of neighborhoods suffering from the predatory effects of Tookie wannabes.

LATimes

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
its about punishment not solving anything or revenge.
and yes does, we tried barring the death penalty once and murders sky rocketted.

But not all murderers are killed for killing, only SOME places that seem to think it is fitting. Most countries/states who do not use capital punishment are punishing their criminals just fine.

I see why now, U guys LOVE it! look at this, put it on the TV so we can watch!!

I'm just glad VERY we don't do that here.

See I don't think death is a suitable punishment for the worst of the worst crimes, I beieve they should live every day of their natural life suffering. And yes jail these days is TOO lenient, make it tough on them.
That to me is a punishment worse than death.

And murders continue to happen so no-one's really learning anything by this are they ? making an example are we ?
No.

But ya'll carry on as U are, and we will do the same

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join