It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Clemency Denied for Stanley "Tookie" Williams

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has denied Stanley "Tookie" Williams' appeal for clemency. Williams is the founder of the "Crips" street gang who has been championed by the entertainment industry in his bid to avoid the death penalty. Williams has exhausted his appeals and is scheduled to die in less than twelve hours. Williams was convicted in 1981 of killing four people, including a mother, father, and daughter.

abcnews.go.com
Schwarzenegger was unswayed by pleas from Hollywood stars and petitions from more than 50,000 people who said that Williams had made amends during more than two decades in prison by writing a memoir and children's books about the dangers of gangs.

"After studying the evidence, searching the history, listening to the arguments and wrestling with the profound consequences, I could find no justification for granting clemency," Schwarzenegger said, less than 12 hours before the execution. "The facts do not justify overturning the jury's verdict or the decisions of the courts in this case."

Schwarzenegger could have commuted the death sentence to life in prison without parole.

With a reprieve from the federal courts considered unlikely, Williams, 51, was set to die by injection at San Quentin State Prison early Tuesday for murdering four people in two 1979 holdups.

Williams' fate became one of the nation's biggest death-row cause celebres in decades.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I believe that Schwarzenegger has made the right decision. It is good that Williams has turned his life around in prison, but he has been condemned to death for his crimes and his options have been exhausted. The time has come for justice to be served. Personally, I would prefer death to life in prison, but that, of course, is a preference many may not share. We can only hope that Williams life and death will have an impact on those who are tempted to enter a life of crime.

Related News Links:
www.tookie.com
www.imdb.com
michellemalkin.com
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Does Stanley Tookie Williams deserve clemency??
NEWS: Former "Crips" Founder and Nobel Prize Nominee Cleared For Death Penalty
Crips and Bloods gangs agree to truce

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Let the riots begin!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I think it was the correct decision. There was just not enough there to give him clemency. I dont care how many books you write or speeches you make thats not going to bring back those people he killed. These were brutal murders and writing a few books is not redemption for those crimes.

Williams had some of the best lawyers working for him Pro bono he got a fairer trail then most people in the US ever get. He was found guilty and his sentence should be carried out.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
he shoulda got life without parole. too many criminals do much worse and get less. i mean life without parole means hes not going anywhere. i just dont see the point in putting him to death when so many deserve it alot more then him.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
he shoulda got life without parole. too many criminals do much worse and get less. i mean life without parole means hes not going anywhere. i just dont see the point in putting him to death when so many deserve it alot more then him.

bingo

I don't believe he was justly tried and convicted, and even if he was, he could serve life without parole.

[edit on 12-12-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
He gave it a go, and I’d assume anyone in his position would have done the same…

If he deserves solace, he can now find it in an indisputable time and place for his execution…Many death-row inmates become psychotic in their endless wait for the one day they know is coming but can never be given advance notice of….

In his death, he’ll find peace – I believe the man’s commitment to stomping out his roots of origin are a truly commendable effort….It will not be forgotten….But neither will the people he murdered…And justice must still be served….

Advanced notice of possible riots may do little to prevent the inevitable injury to others, but it at least provides ample time for the police to be prepared and end them as quickly as they can…

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
People that deserve it alot more??

Williams not only killed four people in cold blood, he in part created a criminal organization -- the Crips street gang -- that was and is responsible for untold murders.

Who are these so many more people your talking about. Its been proved he killed 4 people god knows how many he really killed. Plus he help create one of the most violent gangs in US history.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It's crazy to think Killing someone is going to make a difference to anything.

Keeping him alive in prison and using his experience and reach as an example of why you shouldn't be involved in gangs and crime could be the very reason this man was put on the Earth to begin with. Not all lessons that need to be learned come from grace alone, many come from hardship and this is a perfect example of that.

America will never evolve if it just keeps killing the people that can make a difference, be that Presidents, leaders or even reformed criminals. Wipe your hands clean and feel good about yourself but make room in the prisons for the next round of children who didn't have someone that could steer them away from the gangs from experience and redemption because it will be a cold day in hell before a rich white person will ever be able to convince a poor black kid that gangs are wrong.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Keeping a condemed murder in prison for the rest of his life is a drain on the taxpayers. It is my opinion that if they have commited a heinous crime then they deserve their punishment.

Now while he was in prison he wrote children's books to educate them not to join gangs. That's all nice and good, but the fact remains is that his sole reason for being in prison was for murdering 4 people. I don't think clemency was an option in this case.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis
could be the very reason this man was put on the Earth to begin with.

And what of the four people he killed what were they put on this earth for? I guess we will never know since he gunned them down.

What do you tell the families of the people he killed? O he wrote some books so we shouldnt carry out his sentence hes been redeemed. Im sure that would make them sleep well at night.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded

Let the riots begin!!!

That very question has been bothering me all day long and one would think if they were going to riot they would be lined up ouside the prisions by the thousands, but that does not appear to be the case.

I agree with Grady, Schwarzenegger has made the right decision.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
hes definately one of them that should have gotten it.

i guess williams only real mistake was doing the crime in the wrong state hmm?

well einstiens finds in physics led to the nuclear bomb...should he have been executed for the decisions of others made by using that bomb?

yea he killed four people, which is why he should have life in prison. why dont they execute any other people that kill 4 or more instead of cutting deals with them? makes it easier for them thats why.

p.s. i no longer believe in the death sentence for some one who would rather have life with no parole

[edit on 12-12-2005 by grimreaper797]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by ImJaded

Let the riots begin!!!

That very question has been bothering me all day long and one would think if they were going to riot they would be lined up ouside the prisions by the thousands, but that does not appear to be the case.

me too and he hasn't been killed yet. I guess those that feel strongly enough about his death are waiting until he is no longer and then well ... let's just pray it doesn't happen.

RIP Tookie, I know U will now.

*sigh*

Edit - to ask what the time is over there now ? lol I may be very off in my timing, but I am on the other side.
Has he actually been killed yet ?

[edit on 12-12-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
en.wikipedia.org...
hes definately one of them that should have gotten it.

i guess williams only real mistake was doing the crime in the wrong state hmm?

Thats not really a great example since he was in a state without capital punishment, and still got a death sentence though is was carried out by a fellow inmate with a lead pipe.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
exactly so i guess what your saying is he shouldnt have been so stupid and commited his crimes in a state without capital punishment. whether or not he was killed in jail isnt the focus.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Williams will die shortly after 0001PST or 0801GMT. His attorney filed an appeal with US Supreme Court shortly after Schwarzenegger denied him clemency. That appeal has been denied.

seattlepi.nwsource.com...

www.npr.org...

Google Search

[edit on 2005/12/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
He did his crimes he was convicted and now he has to own up. Plain and simple.

'Tookie" gets no sympathy from me or my family, despite the presence of the media whore that is Jesse Jackson and the Hollywood set who thinks that the "common folks" of California will follow them just because they are famous.

How about a moment of silence for the victims of Tookie? Its going to take more than a bogus Nobel prize nomination to make any of them feel better :shk:

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This is what the Times in London are reporting:

City leaders fear that the death of Williams could provoke the kind of unrest that followed the 1992 not-guilty verdict in the trial of police officers involved in the beating of Rodney King.
Raymond “The Hatchet Man” Locket, a member of the Westside Harlem Crips and a former associate of Williams, told LA Weekly: “Took die, the city fry. That’s the word on the streets.”

Hmm, 13th/12/2005, & scheduled to die at 12:01am, hope this ain't John Titor's Civil War about to start...

Is the Terminator about to usher in the NWO?

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Williams will die shortly after 0000EST or 0800GMT. His attorney filed an appeal with US Supreme Court shortly after Schwarzenegger denied him clemency. That appeal has been denied.

Grady, I wont bank on it till his last twitch. The 9th circut court of appeals historicaly has issued stays at the last second as evidenced by the circus that surrounded Robert Alton Harris.

SO I would not be surprised if I see the sadly mis guided protestors in front of the prison let out a cheer :shk:

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Williams will die shortly after 0000EST or 0800GMT.

You got the time zone mixed Grady. he is do to die at 12:01 AM PST. I am not sure what GMT would be there though.

That is about 5 hours from now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join