It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laughing at Islam = Racist. Laughing at Other Religions = okay

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Islam is the poorer cousin of the same bird. Same traits related to the others. Another easy button for chess fans.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
thank you for making fun of way too many serious people.

Why do muslim men grow beards?

So they can look like their Moms

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by talon565
thank you for making fun of way too many serious people.

Why do muslim men grow beards?

So they can look like their Moms

OMG ROLF...very funny dude

Been up all night practing that one?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Muslems should lighten up, afterall we Christians have to have a since of humor. I mean come one we have guys like Pat Roberson, Jerry Falwell,
Jim and Tammie Faye Bakker and Jerry Clower, 'Awgh knock him out John!'
One can't help but laugh!

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by WHOFLUNGGUM
Muslems should lighten up, afterall we Christians have to have a since of humor. I mean come one we have guys like Pat Roberson, Jerry Falwell,

Dude, you forgot Ernest Angsley!!! Man, does anyone have a worse hairpiece?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by WHOFLUNGGUM

i like that notion
a toast to WHOFLUNGGUM!
(mind you we do have uncle binny laden, who as we know is a slight bit more hardcore)

[edit on 28-12-2005 by sal88]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sal88

You are proving that Islam always gets away with more, just imagine if Roberston did hold those beliefs!!

Just wondering, is there ever any insulting of the Jews/Jewish faith in any major Western media organisations? if not, which if i had to guess would say is the case, then maybe it could prove a different angle to this apparent positive discrimination

Last time I checked Jews were not outlawing other religions and then complaining when a small cartoon is drawn in a different nation other than their own!

-- Boat

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Last time I checked Jews were not outlawing other religions and then complaining when a small cartoon is drawn in a different nation other than their own!

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who does that. It may seem pedantic but the fact is (as far as i know'
') the people who complain are not the same people that stop other people practicing their religion. Actually the case with Ken Livingstone comes to mind, some Jews were complaining about his comparision of a reporter or someone to a Nazi concentration camp guard. And Ariel Sharon has said some pretty nasty things about Muslims I'm sure, and i don't think Israel looks upon non Jews the same as Jews, and they definitely treat the Palestnians like dogs. Should those two be put togther? As always, my answer is a definite NO.

And in the long run, if religions are insulted, then perhaps the freedom to practice them will slowly diminish, ie. racists will be getting more encouragement to harras those people that follow the religions. One of the paradoxes of free speech.

[edit on 28-12-2005 by sal88]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This may be true, but it seems we are a little off topic, I guess. The thread is focusing on the Islam vs. cartoon issue via the "double standard" debate.

-- Boat

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by suzy ryan

Originally posted by snafu7700

Originally posted by sal88
Just because Christians don't complain when their religion is insulted, or more accurately, you don't hear as much about it, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and it doesn't mean that Muslims should just stand back and let it happen.

thats because christians are called radical fundamentalists who are against freedom of speach when we complain of such things, while the muslims are just "defending their faith." the point is the double standard you just confirmed with that comment.

their must be ten active threads here right now that attack christianity, but islam is perfectly ok....forget the fact that in most christian dominated countries, islam is openly allowed, but in most islamic countries it is against the law to openly worship christ. how about that double standard?

[edit on 23-12-2005 by snafu7700]

Yep, I have to wonder why, all those posters who have to repeat every false doctrine used to attack Christianity (regardless of how often they're corrected) haven't jumped on this one to tell Moslems how "foolish" and "blindly lead" they are to believe in their faith and mock them mercilously, when the topic is laughing at religion?

Is it because they hate God and really do think Christianity is the true faith or are they just scared of having to go to ground like Salmin Rushdie.

I made the point in another post that in Australia we're known for our irreverant humour, no one faith was exempt from being laughed at, and we were also famous for all getting on. Then all this "protect the sensativity of the Islamics" garbage got pushed on us from the ruling elite and well, we end up with riots in Sydney.

I still think it's hard to hate and kill people you laugh with and I think Australia's irreverance proved it and the new laws that make it and offence to laugh at, about and with each other, prove it more.

I also think the most "peacefull" "religion" was "everyone can give and take a 'serve' ". R.I.P. the Australian Way.

[edit on 23-12-2005 by suzy ryan]

i live in australia and let me tell you that the riots you have mentioned was instigated by those loud mouth conservative anglosaxons just as it was by the over patriotic lebonese gangs. However, anglo saxon/celtic australians all have a hidden rascism and believe that islam poses a threat this is due to the reason that they are undereducated in multicultrilism and also ignorance of topic leads them to misconseption and fear that the aussie way of life will be changed. Growing up in a middle classed anglo saxon area i can assure you, there IS a Hidden racial agenda that i have faced since my early primary years through to this day. Australia is a free country, so every one has the right to follow their religions and aspects of their culture to a degree, they do not have to accept the aussie way which can be wrong at times such as alcoholism, broken down family units, defactos spouses and pre marital sex.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The European Union has decided to join the fray of those who wish to dramatize and act shocked that a newspaper's editorial cartoons could poke fun at Islam. I mean no one ever pokes fun at Jews or Christians (See long list here) in newspaper editorials.

Anyway, the UN has stepped up the pressure and called the Danish Prime Minister to ask for an official explanation of these cartoons. The UN has even assigned an official investigator to this case. I still have a hard time believing that this is happening, but yet it continues to snowball into a bigger and bigger deal. Of course the whole focus is "Are we offending the Islamic people"?

www.brusselsjournal.com...
The Danish cartoon case is becoming a never-ending story, which shows that freedom of speech no longer exists in Europe. After the Organisation of the Islamic Conference, the United Nations and the Council of Europe, the European Union is now the fourth multinational organisation to lash out at the Danish government for not calling a Danish newspaper to account for publishing caricatures of the Muslim prophet Muhammad.

Franco Frattini, the vice-President of the European Commission, called the publication of the twelve cartoons [see them here] “thoughtless and inappropriate” in a time when animosity towards Islam is on the rise.

Earth to the EU and UN....This is an editorial cartoon! Freedom of speech in Europe is slipping away.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'd rather have someone insult my tshirt than be a pawn. The battle lines are clearly drawn, it is just un-pc to point them out. This was all predictable if not drawn out long ago. Check.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Western Civilisations (+ US), RUSSIANS, CHINEESE are all TERRORISTS. Wanna know why read further:

US killed 200000 innocent Iraqis based on world's biggest lies. World's biggest state sponsorred TERRORISM.

EUROPEANS followed US like cheaply sold-out bitch in the iraq war.

Hundreds of thousands are dying in Africa for TERRORIST BUSINESS DEALS - paying nothing for their commodoties.

Russian kidnapped whole generation of CHECHIN young men (they just disappered)

CHINEESE oppressing and terrorising Tibetians

Inidans (india) oppressing/Terrorizing minorities and weak neighbours

But BIGGEST of all WESTERN CIVILISATIONS IS the TERRORIST CIVILISATION - They killed most of the human beings on this planet earth.

SO WHOLE LOT # IN YOUR MOUTHS - YOU EARNED IT BASTERDS!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
EDIT: Comment no longer made any sense

Originally posted by dbates
Earth to the EU and UN....This is an editorial cartoon! Freedom of speech in Europe is slipping away.

Freedom of speech in Europe? It doesn't exist. In America, you have consequences for things you say, but not enforced by the government. In Europe, there's hate speech laws which make even less sense than America's hate crime laws. There's also some protected groups in European nations where you can't say anything bad about them, but can say whatever you want about non-protected groups and not be charged.

Freedom of speech in Europe isn't slipping away, it crashed into the sea a while ago and the resulting tsunami has struck North America.

[edit on 2/7/06/07 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
i found these new pic's on a duch site , if the nice pic's created sutch a noise , i wonder what these would do if printed in news lol

www.retecool.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I still feel stunned whenever I read the gripes of the privileged majority when they see that they are not untouchable. When I was a child, the only religion that was virtually immune from being slammed was Christianity. Any and all other faiths were fair game. Not only that, but each and every nationality, ethnicity, and skin colour, (excepting the white Christian majority) was targetted. If I was to list all the bigoted 'jokes' that I heard it would be clear what I mean. My view is that there are jokes that are 'harmless', in that they do not insult the subject, and jokes that are 'meanspirited', in that the 'humour' is anything but, and instead is just derision. When I dated a black woman I told her all the black jokes I had heard growing up, and she had heard virtually none of them before. My fiance is Native, and it was the same with her. Clearly, these jokes are told behind their backs. That itself is telling. It suggests that the tellers are aware how ignorant their 'jokes' are.
God does not need protecting, he has a pretty thick skin, if he actually exists. And the same goes for Allah. Long ago, I decided that I disliked those types of jokes. When I hear one, I make that known, and then I drop it. The worst thing one can do is make a fuss. Ignore them and they go away. Honest.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
When I hear one, I make that known, and then I drop it. The worst thing one can do is make a fuss. Ignore them and they go away. Honest.

That is very true. If friends or people I was with were to make some kind of racial joke, I would either just stare at them after they delivered the punchline expectantly, waiting for the humor, and then, after an awkward silence, would say, "oh, that was the joke. Huh." or just start talking about something else before they had the opportunity to deliver the punchline. In the event it was at a party-like location, I would just walk away.

People don't tell those jokes around me anymore. If for no other reason than the social awkwardness I force on the situation as a result.

FYI, I have the same reaction when they try to justify it by saying, "Hey, it's ok, I'm [whatever]". In my mind, bigotry is bigotry no matter who or what you are.

In regards to the topic of the thread, though, in my case, I don't really have a problem with the jokes. I don't find them amusing (typically; I'm sure there has been an occasional exception...ah crap...And when they involve the French...Gotta change that for reasons I'm about to mention), but I don't have a problem with them being told by folks. It's the hypocrisy that bugs me. Some groups it's socially acceptable to slander, while others cause people to decry you as a racist. Often the same people. That's my problem with this issue, and why I need to stop being a hypocrite myself when it comes to French jokes.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Why do the French only eat one egg for breakfast?
Cuz that's 'une oeuf'.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Simple.

Is there a Nation today that is a "Christian theocracy?"

No.

Is there a Nation today that is a "Islamic Theocracy?"

Yes, Many. And they have Money, power, And Oil.

And there in lies the Answer of why the UN sleeps on "Christian presecution" and Goes Overboard on "islamic presecution".

The UN don't give a crap about "religious presecution". They give a crap about "money and power".

Side Note- No one gave a "beep" about Islam. Until "oil" was found and needed. Find a Natural "Resource" to replace "oil". And watch Islam become like Africa agian. (Mostly ignored except the occasional "feel Good" humanitarian aid.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join