It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Laughing at Islam = Racist. Laughing at Other Religions = okay

page: 3
0
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
The Qur'an (2:256) prescribes that there should be no compulsion in religion


What the Quran teaches and what muslims practice appear to be two different things. Perhaps they are following hadiths.



Pak Hindu girls forced to convert to Islam

“Kidnapping Hindu girls like this has become a normal practice. The girls are then forced to sign stamp papers stating that they’ve become Muslims,” says Laljee Menghwar, a member of the Hindu Panchayat in Karachi.

According to him, the Pakistani government needs to examine and put a stop to the social oppression of religious minorities in the country.

“Hindus here are too frightened to vent their anger—they fear victimisation. But we have now decided to go public with these cases and demand justice,” Laljee says. Their cause has found support in the Pakistani Christian community, who carried out a demonstration with them in Karachi, protesting against this crime.


[edit on 27-12-2005 by AceOfBase]




posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Some Christians handle snakes, some Muslims believe in the virgin thing. There are nuts on both sides.

I agree completely, but I doubt the UN would launch an official investigation if someone made a cartoon that depicted a Christian or a Christian prophet handling snakes. That's my point. Everyone should be open to criticism and finger pointing if it's done in a peaceful manner.



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   


What the Quoran teaches an what muslims practice appear to be two different things. Perhaps they are following hadiths.


Do all muslims practice the same thing? you sure about that? that is like saying everyone in the US Republican Party supports Bush and every member of parliament supports Blair.

Thats a very bold statement that you cannot prove.



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
It is the case that Islam in the middle-east has been take-over by religious extremists who do not pratice "pure" Islam, but never the less, Saudi Arabia is the home and heart of Islam.

Could you please name a country that is Islamic if Saudi Arabia is not???


I'm not very familiar with many of the Islamic countries to judge but if I had to pick I'd say Somaliland, its a declared independent republic allthough yet not recongized by many as a country.
Sorry, only example I could give lol, like with almost every other country or high-profile companies it seems the corrupt always end up at the top



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by shire19

Originally posted by Boatphone
It is the case that Islam in the middle-east has been take-over by religious extremists who do not pratice "pure" Islam, but never the less, Saudi Arabia is the home and heart of Islam.

Could you please name a country that is Islamic if Saudi Arabia is not???


I'm not very familiar with many of the Islamic countries to judge but if I had to pick I'd say Somaliland, its a declared independent republic allthough yet not recongized by many as a country.
Sorry, only example I could give lol, like with almost every other country or high-profile companies it seems the corrupt always end up at the top


Islam began in Saudi Arabia.

The Kingdom of Saudia Arabia has one religion Islam.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is governed by Shari'a Islamic law.

Only males have the right to vote.

The point is that Saudi Arabia is the most Islamic nation on Earth; and members of Saudi Arabia have been offended by a cartoon in a different country. The U.N. is now looking into it.

So, the Islamic people are syaing, "hey, we can have all sorts of laws against non-Islamic people in our own nation, and you have nothing to say about it, but you cannot even draw a cartoon questioning us in your own country".

This is insane. What if we said to them, "excuse me, but your laws that take rights away from women offend me, please change them or I will have the U.N. investigate".

See?

-- Boat



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   


In Saudi Arabia

For example, in Saudi Arabia, a women's testimony in court is worth half that of a man's testimony, according to a Human Rights Watch report in 2002.

If a woman is raped, she runs a high risk of being charged with zina, particularly if she becomes pregnant. In order to prove an absence of consent, however, a woman is required to provide four witnesses to the rape, a near impossible task.



-- Boat



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is a Monarchy...
Islamic states have a Spirital leader, Kingdom of Saudi has a King as the helm with no spirital leader like Iran.

The central institution of Saudi Arabian Government is the Saudi monarchy. There are no recognized political parties or national elections. The king is often classified as an absolute monarch.

Its not an Islamic state. It may become one, but i doubt the Saudi royal family woud allow it.



[edit on 27-12-2005 by infinite]



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
This is insane. What if we said to them, "excuse me, but your laws that take rights away from women offend me, please change them or I will have the U.N. investigate".

See?


I'm not disagreeing at all, I find the situation to be absurd too just as I do with the pictures..

I wouldnt mind if the UN approached and threatened Saudi Arabia with just what you mentioned but in reality that wont happen cause its under the protection of certain powers



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Its not an Islamic state. It may become one, but i doubt the Saudi royal family woud allow it.


Incorrect, It is an Islamic state.



Saudi Arabia: Basic Law of Government

Chapter 1 General Principles

Article 1
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is a sovereign Arab Islamic state with Islam as its religion; God's Book and the Sunnah of His Prophet, God's prayers and peace be upon him, are its constitution, Arabic is its language and Riyadh is its capital.


-- Boat



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   



Could you please name a country that is Islamic if Saudi Arabia is not???



here's an angle I trust you will find enlightening, not completely on topic, but I can't be bothered with that now there doesn't seem to be much progress at the moment.

with regards to respect for our fellow men, and justice, 100 years ago, on returning from a trip to Europe, a Muslim Holy man said, "I did not see any Muslims, but I saw Islam"

[edit on 27-12-2005 by sal88]



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   


Saudi Arabia: Basic Law of Government

Chapter 1 General Principles

Article 1
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is a sovereign Arab Islamic state with Islam as its religion; God's Book and the Sunnah of His Prophet, God's prayers and peace be upon him, are its constitution, Arabic is its language and Riyadh is its capital.


I understand what your saying, but its not a true islamic state like Iran cause it has an absolute Monarchy.

but still, as a Christian, i wouldn't like to live there :S


[edit on 27-12-2005 by infinite]



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Where's the UN investigation?

Where's the UN investigation?

Where's the UN investigation?

Where's the UN investigation?

Where's the UN investigation?

Where's the UN investigation?

So what, pray tell, is the UN's criteria for launching an investigation of racism or bigotry against a religion? How is it that these all slipped through the cracks, several of them major [inter]national stories?



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This is nothing new. Throughout history, government and/or the ruling body has warped the religious beliefs of the masses to fit their own agenda.

I trust my devout Muslim friends when they tell me that Saudi Arabia (and other countries of the Middle East) have both political and high-profile religious leaders that have warped the true message of Islam to suit their needs and prey upon their people. There are many who see the same thing happening in the USA with the Republican leadership and the Pat Robertson/James Dobson and such. In my 20 years practicing Christianity, and my 20+ years working in politics, it's not too hard for me to believe that is true.

Really, it's just the pronouns that are different, in my opinion.



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
You know, the snake handling thing is pretty old, it comes from a verse in the bible stating that certain blessed people (prophets) are immune to death by physical means until their mission is done (Elijah, Moses, etc). The list of examples (just random examples) included venom, it seem's some people took this in too literal a sense and thought they could handle snakes without getting killed, but there really is nothing in the bible telling people that they are immune to snake venom.



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Al Davison
This is nothing new. Throughout history, government and/or the ruling body has warped the religious beliefs of the masses to fit their own agenda.

I trust my devout Muslim friends when they tell me that Saudi Arabia (and other countries of the Middle East) have both political and high-profile religious leaders that have warped the true message of Islam to suit their needs and prey upon their people. There are many who see the same thing happening in the USA with the Republican leadership and the Pat Robertson/James Dobson and such. In my 20 years practicing Christianity, and my 20+ years working in politics, it's not too hard for me to believe that is true.

Really, it's just the pronouns that are different, in my opinion.


Oh, please...

Pat Robertson is not preaching that non-christains should be outlawed, or that women should not have the right to vote.

You are proving that Islam always gets away with more, just imagine if Roberston did hold those beliefs!!

-- Boat

[edit on 27-12-2005 by Boatphone]



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

You are proving that Islam always gets away with more, just imagine if Roberston did hold those beliefs!!


Just wondering, is there ever any insulting of the Jews/Jewish faith in any major Western media organisations? if not, which if i had to guess would say is the case, then maybe it could prove a different angle to this apparent positive discrimination



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is a Monarchy...
Islamic states have a Spirital leader, Kingdom of Saudi has a King as the helm with no spirital leader like Iran.

Its not an Islamic state. It may become one, but i doubt the Saudi royal family woud allow it.


Ha! I lived in Saudi Arabia for over 4 months. Let me be the first to inform you that Islam is code of law. Any other religion is not tolerated. Stores must close at prayer time, women must dreass properly and have at most their eyes showing. Women can't sit in the front seat of a car. Beheading is the capital punishment. Mecca is in Saudi Arabia.....

I could go on and on so despite what label they put on their country's leadership the people of that country must abide by what is stated in the Koran.



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Saudia Arabia is an Islamic state in that its main source of law is Islamic law, but it is not an Islamic theocracy like Iran since religious leaders aren't running the state.



posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
No, but if the Saudi Royal family does not support Islamic law it can be lawfully deposed, and it is the whole basis of their rule, so it makes no difference if the Mullah is the actual frontman. Saudi Arabia is a harsh place, don't compare it to Iran where people can go to church/Synagogue in peace, have Christmas trees outside their house for fun during the holidays, and the only harrasment you'll probably have is if you drink in public which is a big no (or go to a mosque without a Hijab, or something else they can't look the other way at). Not that it's a free society, but it's qualitatively different. Also Iran is Shiite, Saudi Arabia is Sunni ( I don't really care about the difference but somebody need's to point that out).

[edit on 27-12-2005 by Nakash]



posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Ha! I lived in Saudi Arabia for over 4 months. Let me be the first to inform you that Islam is code of law. Any other religion is not tolerated. Stores must close at prayer time, women must dreass properly and have at most their eyes showing. Women can't sit in the front seat of a car. Beheading is the capital punishment. Mecca is in Saudi Arabia.....


So...

Most European countries still have laws based around Christianity, does that make them Christian states....? no. Turkey's laws are based around Islam, but Turkey is not an Islamic state either.

Djohnston77 is correct in what he has said. It may be an "islamic" state cause it has Islamic law, but its not an Islamic state in theory.




top topics



 
0
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join