It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liberal explanation?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I have been reading this board as a guest now for a few months.In that time I have yet to find ANYONE whos liberal views of life,religion,or politics stated to make me understand the allure of such liberal thoughts.So I thought I would invite those of you who can participate in an intelligent discourse to do so.Please explain liberalism.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   
By definition, a liberal is a man who believes in liberty for all---not just the chosen few.

We can start from there.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Colonel,please define liberty for all as it stands in your own mind.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I thought I just did.

[Edited on 25-9-2003 by Colonel]

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 06:45 AM
link   
So you want to know why to be a liberal? Because it is the compassionate thing to do. Liberalism is caring about yourself, conservatism is caring about yourself.

XAOS

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
By definition, a liberal is a man who believes in liberty for all---not just the chosen few.

We can start from there.

liberty for all? hmmm.....nope. its you guys that get pissed off about the pledge and god in public places. if there was liberty for all we'd be able to practice relgion in those places. you can take your pc commie logic and cram it. im tired of it.

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 08:17 PM
link   
God, what is it with you and Communism?! Some people are still Communists. It isn't an evil form of government. Just as facism isn't evil just because of Hitler.

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye
God, what is it with you and Communism?! Some people are still Communists. It isn't an evil form of government. Just as facism isn't evil just because of Hitler.

well its only bad because it is, facism is not much better than despotism.

to me, liberalism is not about liberty for all, its liberty to the individual without limit and concearn about morals, religion etc, thinking its right to condem either if its offensive or whatever.

not totally american ideas really, they want gun control, want speech limited if its offensive, no religion in government or schools, even if it means taking away the right to free speech, they do not understand seperation of church and state, it means religious ideas cant interfere with state laws, poliicy or foreign and domestic affairs, it doesnt mean it cant be practiced by the state/government offices or schools, or its ideas cant be expressed, offensive or not is beside the point.

conservatism is not the best either, thats why im a mixture of both, i dont like ultra-liberals, they are the most likely to not value the constitution, but only unlimited liberty as long as it dont offend anyone.

posted on Sep, 26 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
That was directed at KrazyIvan. He is always comparing a form of government he doesn't like to communism.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 04:22 AM
link   
to me liberalism is simply having a human right to freedom of choice instead of being opressed by anothers views.
Its the opposition to hypocricy and living in deciet .

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel

We can start from there.

Liberal is not from the root word liberty, Colonel. As a matter of fact, it would appear it is the reverse.

The liberal movement in government believes we citizens are stupid and incompetent, so they must rule our every thought and deed with regualtion. They are the intelligent ones, obviously, and decisions are too important to be left up to the mere working man.

The liberal knows how to spend (other people's) money much better than other people do. That is why they believe that you can never be taxed too much. What, just because you earned your money, you think you should keep it? HA! That shows what you know, little commoner! The liberal will take (other people's) money and determine who really deserves it.
The liberal will tell you what kind of automobile to drive, what kind of food you should eat, what words you may or may not use, heck, they'll make all the decisions for you. All you need do is go to work, make money and give it to them, and they'll do all the rest.

Except you stinking, silly Christian Conservatives. You all got to drop dead. They'll have none of your influence in their country that you built and made strong. You are bad for their idea of relative morality!

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Liberalism is kind of the other half of conservatism.

Liberalism works to deny people one set of liberties, while Conservatism works to strip you of the rest.

A liberal wants to take your money and give it to thier pet projects and special interest people. They wish to deny free speech if its offensive, neuter the human mind from thinking or believing anything offensive and hateful. They wish to oppress one group of people and elevate another in thier place, and basically, like Thomas said, feel an eltisit superiority that we dont know whats best for us, they do, and basically becoime govornment nannies. They wish to rob you of the right of self defense, and take away any weapon or object they deem dangerous. They wish to keep the commoner dependant on the govornment for thier basic existance, because they fear the commoner cannot do whats best for him or herself, and thus, wish total govornment control of all apsects of life.

Conservatives wish to rob you of the right to be anti christian, other religion, or athiest. They wish to keep age old sterotypes of race and sex in the forefront, and wish to eliminate any speech that is anti American, anti Christian, or what they deem offenseive. They wish to make criminals of anyone who doesnt follow what they deem a "natural" or "normal" lifestyle. They want to protect the wealthy and powerful and ensure they keep thier strangelhold on thier markets, and attack and relentlessly persecute small people for questionable offenses such as file sharing. They wish the keep the serfs lowly and working for little wages while they sit in thier catles and get fat, and then they select a few chosen serfs who they like to elevate to better positions, and say : see anyone can get to this level with hard work. (which normally is true, but not in a total conservative society). They wish to torment, persecute and deny freedom of religion to any group that isnt with the right wing christian agenda.

so, either way, whether libby or con, let the two factions work thier ways, and you end up with a mindless, souless weakling shell of a man who cannot fend for himself, defend himself, or simpyl exist as a human being.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
it all sucks in some way. but christian conservatives are evil in some way . . .

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I don't understand why these two parties persist to this day, and why people subscribe to the beliefs of either one or the other. Both are majorly flawed.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
it all sucks in some way. but christian conservatives are evil in some way . . .

so are liberal atheist

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 07:37 PM
link   
How about liberal christians then??? And conservative athiests???

(Untill now I've never even bothered looking at this forum)

[Edited on 29-9-2003 by TheBandit795]

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone

An oximoron on the face of it. Those who follow Christ is evil? You see, that is a good reason for the Judeo-Christian nation to remain so. It is expected such words to come from an Islamic ruled nation, but the concept is alien, strange, and neurotic sounding in a nation of Judeo-Christian ethics, morals and principles.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
How about liberal christians then??? And conservative athiests???

(Untill now I've never even bothered looking at this forum)

[Edited on 29-9-2003 by TheBandit795]

I've got this one!

Christian liberals. On the face of it, it doesn't sound possible, does it? But remember, Christians are humans, too, and are perfectly capabale of barely scratching the surface of knowledge and mixing what little knowledge with a LOT of blinding emotion and coming up with the wrong conclusion.

The conservative athiest? Being brought up in a nation of Judeo-Christian ethics, morals and principles, it is not difficult to find oneself following these guidelines. Any rational person will recognize the fact that if the government sees the liberties of the people as God-given and beyond their authority to touch, it is a good thing. And, a true athiest will not care about such things as religious monuments or prayer in school as they do not affect them and can do no harm.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This weekend was brought to you by a liberal. Enjoy it!

Nothing is true; everything is permissable

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
First of all I think Skadi hit it all right on with Post Number: 193722. Got a vote from me!!

Thomas, I'm what one would consider an athiest. I grew up in a christian home and left the church about twenty years ago, never to return. Do you think that makes me a "bad american"? I hope not.

My guess is that you are speaking of the initial values of the american society being tied to "christian virtues".
I would have to agree somewhat. Most are just common sence as well as basic human judgement. Thou shall not kill is a pretty easy concept even for a child.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join