It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope: Christmas Polluted by Consumerism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
In a speech on Sunday, Pope Benedict XVI said that "consumerism" has taken a hold of Christmas. Displaying an alternative way for Christians to celebrate the holiday, which is now something even Non-Christians take part in.

news.yahoo.com
"In today's consumer society, this time (of the year) is unfortunately subjected to a sort of commercial 'pollution' that is in danger of altering its true spirit, which is characterized by meditation, sobriety and by a joy that is not exterior but intimate," the pope said in his traditional Sunday blessing.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think it is about time that this has came fourth. Christmas is a tradition, one based on religion with the intent to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. However, big business has taken a hold of it and turned it into a way to make even more money. For many shops this is the time of year where they make most of their income and this isn't within the spirit of Christmas at all.

Being someone who isn't Christian, I think it is sick to see members of my family and people I know taking part in something they do not believe in...

[edit on 12-12-2005 by asala]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This is one of those obvious nail on the head comments. I think this goes a lot deeper than the Christmas season, at least in the USA. Sure it is great for the economy but when I see a family in a store checkout line with the most insanely bratty little kids telling the parents to shut up and not listening to anything the parent says but these idiot parents have shopping carts fully of expensive toys, videos games and other gifts I want to slap the crap out of them - parents and children. You are probably not going to get a lot of comments in this thread. Not too many ATSers are going to say they like something the Pope said especially on this story. Too many ATSers are those bratty little kids.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

think it is about time that this has came fourth. this isn't within the spirit of Christmas at all.

Being someone who isn't Christian,

Odium,

who are we - NON-Christians like you and me - that we should be allowed to give comments on the "spirit of Christmas"?

In my opinion, this is an exclusive right for the Christians to discuss and to decide what (and how) the "spirit of Chistmas" might be.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Seems as though lately there has been real critisism on what Christmas has become; an anaversary of comerce.

www.sustainer.org...

www.ashlandcitytimes.com.../20051130/MTCN0405/311300004/1314/MTCN04

Christmas is a mix of Pagen Holidays and symbles, as well as (They are not really sure of Jesus' actuall birth date, but it was snowing.) the birth of Jesus. But still, no exuse for tyrany.

A Search I ran:
www.google.com...

[edit on 12/12/05 by The Surrealist]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Riwka, it might be for you however I see the problems of living in a society and a State which has a National Religion. The Church of England holds so much power in the United Kingdom, they still have members in the House of Lords - they still have the ability to be involved in laws and while religious people have a right to get involved in my life, I will be involved in their religion.

If they separated it, removed the traces of Religion from Government and were no longer involved with my life, I would happily no longer be involved.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The Church of England holds so much power

I always thought the Pope represents only the Catholic Christians.

Isn't the Church of England a different denomination?

[edit on 12-12-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka

The Church of England holds so much power

I always thought the Pope represents only the Catholic Christians.

[edit on 12-12-2005 by Riwka]

The Church of England has been a seperate entity indirectly since the 500's. [Augustinian Mission]
It has directly been a different denomination since the 1500's. [Henry VIII]

However, many people still see what the Pope says and see it as important, this was seen when the Pope visited Liverpool and packed the streets out - everyone wanted to see him and members of the CoE told their "faithful" to go see him. [Oxford-Movement.]

The C.I.A. Factbook places the British population as 71.6% and made up of Anglican, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist members as well as a few others. However the Catholic population has not been in as much of a decline as the Anglican Church [CoE] primarily due to the C.I.A. slipping away from the older traditions.

They hold a lot of power in Europe, the Pope still does even though many people do not realise it.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This isn't exactly a new idea.......I've been hearing variations on this theme for at least 30 plus years!

A good many years ago our family decided to go with a more 'homespun' approach to Christmas.......hand made and home baked presents and decorations have a more personal feel and longer lasting meaning.

Giving to Toys for Tots or the local shelters will give you a much warmer feeling, ( and do so much more real good) than buying an endless stream of repeditive gifts for friends and family!

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka

CAKE OR DEATH?!

Anyway, the Pope is the head of the Catholic Church only, but he is Christian (really bloody christian) and his very valid in saying what he's saying. Why he's saying it, I don't know, I've frankly known this for a loooong time.

Surrealist: Christmas is an old pagan holiday. Wish I would remember the name of it, but when the Christians took over, they made Christmas on that day so the pagans didn't complain about losing their bacchanalia.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer Wish I would remember the name of it, but when the Christians took over, they made Christmas on that day so the pagans didn't complain about losing their bacchanalia.

It was Saturnalia and Juvenalia. The Christians did not celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ until the fourth century.

There's some interesting customs during the Juvenalia celebrations in pagan Rome...servants and slaves would be masters for the time and businesses were closed for the festivities.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I still have the images of those red shoes he was wearing. !!!! Oh my God, there is no place like home, there is no place like home.

The pope should talk, he lives in the grandest and gaudy imperial palace ever built.

Looks like the PP pandemic is spreading worldwide.

top topics

join