It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness gone mad!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Is it me or has the world became mad, filled with PC nutballs? I'm just reading my Metro and apparently Santa is too scary for children. I didn't like Santa much when I was younger to be honest but other children did. I doubt my old primary would allow Christmas to be banned because I said Santa is a scary bloke with a beard. Is it because ethnic minoraties take offense to a bearded bloke who gives out presents???
If that's true, then in my opinion they should shut up. I'm not saying for them to shut up because they are ethnic minorties, but they should rather concentrate on real issues. They live in a mostly Christian country, so they should expect to adapt to our way of life. As I would expect nothing less if I decided to go to a foreign land like Italy or India or something.
By all means, you can keep your culture, but don't take a displeasure at our way of life. Have a coke or something.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Aint globalization grand?

Funny how it wasn't a problem [for us] when we were just exporting Christianity and westernizing the rest of the world via corporatization turning the most sacred sites in the world into Mecca Disney.

But someone pushes back and it's suddenly a war on Christmas.

I realize you're not in the US, but those morons here that are screaming about "our culture! our culture" ALL support ufettered free trade like CAFTA. Hypocrites.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
We're not alowed to call Christmas lights Christmas lights anymore..........

'Festive lights'

And Christmas trees get it too....

'Holiday trees'

Santa is also banned in shoppng centers in the UK.......... And who will replace him?

'Joyfull multi-religious elderly gentleman'

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
To be quite honest, I'd rather they learnt to adapt to our way of life. I wouldn't expect anything less if I went to another's country. If I had any misgivings to the way the Italians call their own dish "Pizza" and not "Very tasty doughy mixture" and complained to my local council or Italian equivelent, they'd look at me, as if I lost my marbles and need to be sent to the loony bin.
Honestly. Do people get paid to cater to Political Correctness and all it's glory?

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Aint globalization grand?

Funny how it wasn't a problem [for us] when we were just exporting Christianity and westernizing the rest of the world via corporatization turning the most sacred sites in the world into Mecca Disney.

But someone pushes back and it's suddenly a war on Christmas.

I realize you're not in the US, but those morons here that are screaming about "our culture! our culture" ALL support ufettered free trade like CAFTA. Hypocrites.

What are you talking about, free trade has nothing to do with exportation of religious beliefs, it has to do with the cost of labor and products...

-- Boat

[edit on 12-12-2005 by Boatphone]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Santa is not banned in the shopping centres at all. You are making out that they no longer have any, which is a joke. There happens to be one on the property of the center in Banbury, in Oxfordshire as well as many other parts of the U.K.

In fact, just yesterday there was a parade through my area [which is heavily filled with immigrants], with santa on a lorry and several other floats to raise money for charity. Nobody cared and many of them joined in and donated...

It is about time people cut the crap, nothing has changed in the last 5 years except a few private bussinesses trying to make themselves look good in the eyes of people who do not celebrate the tradition.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
So is it that wee Britainer paper, the Sun spreading falsehoods about ethnic minorities again? Not really much of a surprise that. They hate immigrents with a vengence.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Considering we allow people of other religions to celebrate their festivals as they want, they should the same for us! People who want to celebrate Christmas as Christmas (even non-Christians) should be allowed to do so. Also, alot of people have come from a country where they HAVE to be of a certain religion (like Saudi Arabia) when we wouldn't be able to have the same "freedom" over there as we do here in the UK.

It's just getting rediculos, especially when your English GCSE teacher is one of those PC people.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mashup
Considering we allow people of other religions to celebrate their festivals as they want, they should the same for us! People who want to celebrate Christmas as Christmas (even non-Christians) should be allowed to do so.

- mashup can you really point to an example of anyone not being "allowed" to celebrate Christmas in the UK?

As has been said before some companies and public institutions are now sensitive to the fact that others (and not necessarily foreigners either) might not celebrate this religious holiday....... but that is hardly the same as trying to claim it has been actually banned or not allowed.

Also, a lot of people have come from a country where they HAVE to be of a certain religion (like Saudi Arabia) when we wouldn't be able to have the same "freedom" over there as we do here in the UK.

- I think you have your wires a little crossed here.

You don't "HAVE" to be a certain religion in Saudi Arabia; how would that work for the many thousands of westerners there?

There is only one religion whos' public 'practice' is tolerated there........and is that the kind of 'standard' you would prefer applied here, hmmm?
How would that work in a country so secular and with so many with little or no interest in organised religion?

But at the end of the day, so what if others do it differently anyway?

It's just getting rediculos, especially when your English GCSE teacher is one of those PC people.

- Well I'm sorry but what I find ridiculous about all this are the exaggerated stories and umteem myths about what supposedly is going on (usually taken from some 'newspaper' report about somewhere few if any have any direct experience or knowledge of).

The day the cops come and batter down your door making you take down the tree and dec.s is the day I might start listening to the tired old 'PC gone mad' stuff.

[edit on 13-12-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Please! Another War on Christmas thread?
Well, I just can't resist!

Originally posted by Spreadthetruth
We're not alowed to call Christmas lights Christmas lights anymore..........

"Not allowed" by whom? Do you get a spanky? And what happens if you do let the dreaded "C" word escape your lips? Arrest? Public floggin?

And who will replace him?

How about this jolly fellow?

Seriously, I simply don't believe you when you say that Santa is banned! THat just histrionics. Like others have said, Santa's everywhere. So are Christmas trees. They usually hang out together. Somebody better tell Santa that he's 'banned' because he obviously doesn't know it.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Sorry if I came over a bit strong and wrong. It's just this whole thing about some people having a go about us having to respect other people's cultures before ours, because it might offend them. If we went around all living like that, nothing would get done.

About the Saudi Arabia comment, I might be thinking about a different country....

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Unless I'm being dreadfully missinformed, this is what I have been told:

Kids are no longer alowed to sit on Santa's lap.

Santa has been banned from a small number of malls in the UK, including The Ballring in Birminham.

A spokeswoman said: "We wish to be sensitive to people of other religions over the festive period. There are a lot of people in the region who are not Christians and do not celebrate Christmas."

[edit on 13-12-2005 by Spreadthetruth]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
My God. The poor weans! (children) If they don't celebrate Christmas, do they feel left out?
Ach, I dunno. The Sun seem to peddle such stories because they got an agenda. It could be nothing more then a simple understanding, but I dunno. Its hard to tell between the lines. What is truth? What is exaggerated?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Spreadthetruth, nobody forces you to shop in those malls.

This is the point, some have got rid of it, some have not. I work in one that has not, I see Santa whenever I walk to work on the weekends. He is there, children sit on his lap. My half-brother, goes to School, where they made Christmas cakes, sent cards to each other and so on and so fourth.

People have the choice where they shop, either in a mall with or without Santa, nobody is forcing them.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm glad that nobody is being forced, just pointing out that political correctness is become more and more bizarre....

I suppose it would make the situation worse if crucifixes were errected all over the place at Christmas - or to be more correct virgin Marrys and maingers.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Just gonna throw this article and link out there for you all. My opinion on this whole scheme is that it has to be a joke. Something extremely peculiar is going on these days... Maybe some of you conspiracy nuts can look into some of the things being said here.

In the latest instance of decrying the purported "war" on Christmas, Fox News host Bill O'Reilly claimed that "it's all part of the secular progressive agenda ... to get Christianity and spirituality and Judaism out of the public square." He then added: "[B]ecause if you look at what happened in Western Europe and Canada, if you can get religion out, then you can pass secular progressive programs, like legalization of narcotics, euthanasia, abortion at will, gay marriage, because the objection to those things is religious-based, usually."

mediamatters.org...

I'm pretty sure most of you would like to crap on Bill O'rielly's grave... but maybe he is on to something?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
I'm pretty sure most of you would like to crap on Bill O'rielly's grave.

- Hmm, maybe you're on to something there LS.

.. but maybe he is on to something?

- I suppose there may be a vague connection of sorts if by that you/he means simply standing there and claiming something along the lines of "well it says so in the Bible!" as if that closes all rational debate and clinches a matter.

But I think he's fundamentally wrong that religion was "gotten out" in Europe; I think like all those American nut-jobs who see religion as a cynical means to control the public (of whom I think O'Reilly is a knowing and willing one) their idea of a private personal religion (of the kind common in Europe) is utterly different to the loud, showy, jingoistic, patriotic, politically conservative/right-wing, public, preachy version of religion that the US fundy evangelical sort seems to be (from here anyways).

[edit on 13-12-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Religious beliefs are the major obstacle to the agenda of secular progressives. Therefore, in order for them to further that agenda they need to remove religion from the debate to the greatest extent possible, that is the simple point O'Reilly is making.

There is little doubt that the secular progressives will ultimately win out in the USA, but it will happen on a state by state basis, as the US is truly 50 small nations who get along really well with each other something few outside the US really appreciate or understand. Firearms ownership will be restricted, abortion on demand will be eliminated, intelligent design will become a part of the school curriculum, gay marriage will become legal, the legal drinking age and the age of consent will be lowered, capital punishment will be abolished, prison sentences shortened and political correctness will rule all - basically the US will become the UK, nightmarish stuff.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
LOL. You really hate us don't you?
Why not say something nice about us? Or did a Brit fart in your face or something? You really hate us, why? Is it because we're barbarians? That we're not as advanced as your nation? That your nation is way bigger than us, and you feel some sort of superiority because of geographical location?
LOL. Intelligent design isn't going to catch on, because even the Catholic Church aren't touching that malarky with a 10 mile pole. Right-wing America like the idea that they don't come from apes. Makes them feel better or something. I've nothing against ghey marriage, since I've nothing against them. Hell, being ghey is the rage now. Ghey tv shows, and books and with the Oscar clearer, Brokeback Mountain taking all the prizes. Being ghey is relatively acceptable.
Abortions are done freely over here as well. I doubt female folk over here want to sit through a compulsive abortion councilling thingy like those poor American women. They have an option to choose if they have it or not.
And I assure you, 21 isn't a responsible age. Folk have the choice to drink or not. To sleep with whoever they choose, regardless of age. Lowering consent isn't gonna stop folk being stupid. It's more important to show the dangers of such irresponsible behavior and the damages it'll cause.
I'm all for capital punishment and all, but because the trials that lead up to capital punishment are usually so ridiculously flawed in some silly way, that it's dangerous incase a innocent is excuted. After all, your esteemed president thought it wise to send one hundred sixty something folk to their deaths, including born again Christians, retards, youngsters and innocents, yet spared Henry Lee Lucas, one of the worst serial killers in history. (Though it should be pointed out that the figure of 600 kills may be embellished.) If ever there was a justified argument for capital punishment, this was the bloke you wanted. George obviously saw that it made more sense to kill a grandmother who murdered her abusive husband then a man who killed his mother and defiled her remains. :/
Well, he is your esteemed president. You can be very proud. Prison sentences may be short over here, but they aren't as unfair as the sentences folk get over in America. 3 strikes and you get a life sentence in California?
Yup, I'm sure all the shoplifters will enjoy having a life sentence with all the other murderers and rapists who actually are a bigger problem then petty crime. P.C doesn't rule Britain. The Sun trumpets it from the mountain that it does, but I've yet to come across any P.C nuts running about.
Overall, I find you puzzling. We're apparently a bunch of barbarians to you, yet you put to death, a Nobel Prize nominee?
OH TO BE AS CIVILISED AS OUR COUSINS!!! OUR DEAR ALLIES AND ALL!!! FOREVER MAY YOU LEAD THE WAY, AND CAUSE DEMOCRACY TO STALL!!!
Sleep easy. I doubt your country will become the "Hell" that is UK. Apparently, we have to wait for our High-definition tellys to come in.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
under our noses, this can easily fall into line of the illuminati (satan worshiper's) controlling the press, who also have an arm in the government's, which leads to controlling the people and doing what they want us to do.

The illuminati is mentioned in the encyclopedia's it's quite an interesting subject to research.

The Illuminati was established in Bavaria Germany in the 1800's

top topics

<<   2 >>

join