It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ozone Causing Major Aussie Drought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   
*Please note* (ahem, MA)

This is the OZONE issue, NOT the CO2/Greenhouse issue... please keep this in mind once discussion begins.

Australia is experiencing its worst drought in 100 years, due to the widening ozone hole. The ozone hole was once thought to only affect skin cancer rates in Australia, by letting in more ultraviolet light. But now it's been discovered that ozone acts with changing winds to blow the rain clouds away.
Mark Horstman writes in ABC Australia Online that an accelerating vortex of winds moving at 100 miles an hour is pulling rain clouds away from Australia and into the Southern Ocean. Meteorologist David Jones says, "We can't just look at natural variability or greenhouse climate change in isolation� we also have to factor in ozone."

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Another reason to fight BIG Buisness, get rid of all the companies. They have never done anything we as people cannot do for our selves. Besides driving mom and pop shops out of buisness, they get bought up and merged with global companies. That leads to rapid inflation and losses in the economy. Hasn't history proved that much?

This is very bad, unfortunetly so long as the word "consumer" exists nothing will change...

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Yep. I've noticed aHUGE difference int he weather here in MElbourne, Asutralia.

We used to get big thunderstorms, the wind/weather usually came from the west, but now it comes west, east, west, east, south west, west, east.

The thunderstorms HARDLY EVER come now.

Life just doesn't feel the same without those thunderstorms. Theywere a highlight in weather that i loved.

And if ya dont know what i mean.

Jsut say you've grown up in a place all your life, the weather is all the same then except for the last few years, things feel different, and a little eerie. It jsut makes you feel that something just isn't right.

[Edited on 25-9-2003 by DaRAGE]

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Darage,

How long has the weather had this change?

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I'm in Melbourne, you're right about the weather coming from everywhere, but we still seem to get thunderstroms in my suburb though.............

but the drought here is just harsh. At present the water reservoirs are at something like 40-45% of their capacity........ which means major water restrictions and fines.

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Im afraid its too late to do anything about this.

Even if the rich stop all polution at once (but they wont) it wont do a thing. It takes more than 50 years for such gasses to "recylce".

Global warming has passed the point of no return. The effects will now accelerate. I sugest you reinforce your house if you want to live there next year ...

[Edited on 25-9-2003 by Freeman]

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Freeman,

If you read my first post, you would know that this is NOT a global warming issue.

As I have mentioned in numerous threads, man-made global warming is a sham perpetuated by numerous political agendas. True global warming is part of a natural cycle that operates in tandem with the Milakonvich Cycles, on a 26,000 year cycle. We are actually in an Ice Age! (Ice House conditions are where there are ANY ice year round anywhere on the planet).

I do not debate that there isnt pollution impacts to the climate, primarily through ozone depleting chemicals, however, this is totally unrelated to the supposed global warming.

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Also, CFCs don't "recycle"... CFCs break down in UV radiation, releasing chlorine, which reacts with and breaks down ozone by forming chlorine oxides, then splitting again, forming normal oxygen. The Chlorine continues to break down ozone the entire time its free in the atmosphere (known as "pac man" chlorine).

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer
I'm in Melbourne, you're right about the weather coming from everywhere, but we still seem to get thunderstroms in my suburb though.............

but the drought here is just harsh. At present the water reservoirs are at something like 40-45% of their capacity........ which means major water restrictions and fines.

Yeah we still get thunderstomrs...but not nearly as much as we used to, and not nearly as much downpour, lighning, and intensity as we used too.

I'd say this weather has had this change for at least 3 years, if not more.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by DaRAGE

Yeah we still get thunderstomrs...but not nearly as much as we used to, and not nearly as much downpour, lighning, and intensity as we used too.

I have to agree with you there. Not as much rain and definately not the intensity.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
this is totally unrelated to the supposed global warming.

Blah blah blah, yea yea yea.

Don't argue with me. You tend to think more on a strategic scale. We talking about the last 100 years. # the ice ages. We talking about our atmosphere layers shrinking. In the past 50 years, thanks to men, atmospheric layers - decreased, air crust is THINNER. # the ice age.

Reinforce your house if you want to live there next year.

new topics

top topics

join