It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Racial Riots Erupt In Sydney Australia

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded

Originally posted by mad scientist

PS. The more I here about these labanese/Middle Eastern men, the more they come across as the cowards they are.

Well I meant to say gangs not men.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Well I meant to say gangs not men.

Then I agree with U

Because it is obvious to all who have commented on them preying on people in groups this in itself is indeed a coward's act, and applies to men of any race.

Because this does happen to ME men too, my brother for one has been targeted before, when he was alone, by a group of Aussie's, and for the actions of his arab mates. He doesn't think all Aussie's are evil though.
I have many stories, yet it doesn't alter my outlook on people as a whole. This is what is scaring me in the midst of all this terrorist talk. Not all are accountable for the actions of one or a few.

This door swings both ways.

[edit on 11-12-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

How are they cowards? Both sides believe they are right, both sides are wrong.That's the kind of comment that inflames situations "Lebanese men are cowards". Huh?

SIGH, have you ever come across a Lebanese gang or been on the receiving end ? didn't think so. You don't even live in Sydney. The men who are in these gangs are cowards, they hunt in packs looking to assault the weak. If it isn't 3 on 1 then they won't do anything.

No actually I live in the lovely city of Cairns.....NOW.. My birth certificate Says Sydney. I lived in the Sydney and Wollongong areas for over 33 years before moving to Queensland less than five years ago. My family is still in the area.

My father owned the Melton Hotel on Parramatta road for many many years as well as being an alderman on Paramatta city council. He was very active in the media and congratulated on his efforts for donating his hotel carpark to these "hoons" as they are called to give them somewhere to get off the streets and keep out of trouble. I worked for my father for many many years at that same hotel. The hotal in Question is in Auburn which is a middle eastern majority as I am sure you know. My other family still live in Wollongong, another largely ethnic city. My daughter as I have spoken is half Serbian and she alternates betwen Cairns and Sydney/Wollongong. Her ex boyfriends name is Umit. He was Lebanese. She was with him for well over a year. They used to hang out at Brighton Le Sands. Her cousin Snezana is now engaged to a Lebanese who also cruise the same streets in little hotted up cars with subwoofes booming. Many of her friends are Lebanese. Many more are Serbian, Macedonian, Greek, Philappino, Italian and Turkish. Many of my friends are mixed, ethnic, Lebanese and whoa, even Australian. No i can't say I have ever had a Lebanese gang after me. Not even in all the times I have dealt with them, ate with them, socialized and laughed with them and debated life with them. What can I say, I love kebabs. I love people and I love what the ethnics have bought to our country. The richness, the expanded cutlure and more.

All this has detracted from my one question, where did these text messages originate? Who stirred the pot? Who put ideas into heads. Who aimed the loaded gun?

Who stirred the pot ? Hmm, well you'd have to say it happened when they bashed the 2 lifeguards without provocation. Lets call a spade a spade, shall we

You were there were you so you know there was no provocation whatsoever? It does take two to tango and in my experience words fly and then the punches.

If we are talking spades, I am not the one that has continually been shown to be wrong here. You even admited at the top of this page you made yet another mistake and said something you didn't mean to. I have been calling spades all through this matter. I am sitting up on this fence watching the view closely on both sides.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'll dismiss the first couple of paragraphs as ramble

Originally posted by Mayet
All this has detracted from my one question, where did these text messages originate? Who stirred the pot? Who put ideas into heads. Who aimed the loaded gun?

Who stirred the pot ? Hmm, well you'd have to say it happened when they bashed the 2 lifeguards without provocation. Lets call a spade a spade, shall we

You were there were you so you know there was no provocation whatsoever? It does take two to tango and in my experience words fly and then the punches.

Hmm let's see 2 lifeguards up against 10-1 odds. Yeah I'm sure the lifeguards were looking for a fight
Like I said you have no experience with Lebanese gangs as you yourself admit. No more needed to be said.

If we are talking spades, I am not the one that has continually been shown to be wrong here. You even admited at the top of this page you made yet another mistake and said something you didn't mean to. I have been calling spades all through this matter. I am sitting up on this fence watching the view closely on both sides.

LOL if you say so, people can read the posts.
BTW, How old are you ? only kids constantly try and score brownie points, kinda funny actually

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Hmm, and I was planning on going on vacation to Australia. Seeing this mess and some of the comments on this board seemingly supporting the riots, I have no desire to anymore.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I am 39 if you wish to know.

ramble or a truth you dont like Yes well that would be par for the course. You have shown over and over in this thread how quick you are to dismiss the truth. So why would one more truth be different. You don't like it so you dismiss it. You have been shown over and over again to be wrong and yet you have resorted to attacking my age, maturity, credibility and more in order to hide and cover that fact that you are wrong. You have personally used an admin's post to back your wrongness up and thrown it in my face even though it has been shown I was right all along.

Hmm let's see 2 lifeguards up against 10-1 odds. Yeah I'm sure the lifeguards were looking for a fight
Like I said you have no experience with Lebanese gangs as you yourself admit. No more needed to be said.

No see inside that "ramble" you were so quick to dismiss because you didn't like it and it showed once again a truth, I showed that I do know Lebanese 'gangs'. I grew up with them. But you chose once again to ignore that truth because it didn't suit you. I actually said I had never had any trouble with them which is correct.

LOL if you say so, people can read the posts.
BTW, How old are you ? only kids constantly try and score brownie points, kinda funny actually

Personal insults like that wash off my back because they show they are coming from someone that by their lies, by them saying I am making it up, by them saying they were THERE and nothing happened and more they have been backed into a corner and are now resorting to personal attacks to further hide the fact they are wrong and cannot admit it.
and that is the plain simple truth.

We could keep this backward and forward nonsense up all day but it will never hide the fact you were wrong and can't admit it. So as my truths have been proved I am out of here. I have got lawns to mow, cakes to bake and kids to play hide and seek with. I might just go skateboarding with them and climb trees. Being right is enough for me, thats the only POINT i had to prove.

back to the thread. Flinx yes it is sad and please don't think that it is all of Australia. Both sides are wrong here but it seems not much is done to reconcile the two sides with each other. instead of concentrating on the good, the bad is being flashed in neon lights with bells on.

[edit on 11-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   

You have voted ImJaded for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

Great post

Some ones race should be an unassailable characteristic. A characteristic free from implied guilt and immune from the reasoning of revenge. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who believes some ones race has any bearing on their character is a racist, period.

Making sweeping generalisations about entire ethnic communities because of the actions of a segment of them is racism. Supposedly gone are the days of lynching the nearest minority if "another one of them" committed a crime. Within our own ethnic group we vehemently seek out justice and lay blame where it belongs. If a white guy murders some one, the cops don't just pick up the first white guy they see and lock them up and they certainly don't persecute whites as whole.

If they did there would rightly be an uproar, so why is it some of us tolerate that very same behaviour when it is aimed at other ethnic communities? Is it through fear? Or is it through ignorance? Is it through selfishness? Or is it through indolence?

Its much easier to lay blame at entire communities when you're angry, and too lazy, to figure out exactly who is to blame for individual crimes. I suppose its too much to expect diligence to justice from people who are too ignorant to respect an individuals right to safety and due process.

Its these same ignorant, lazy racists on both sides who perpetuate the banal and depressing cycle of racially motivated violence.

Give it a rest already!

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I've seen and been in plenty of fights where virtually everyone was armed with a beer bottle, but I have never seen a riot in which virtually everyone is holding an open, full bottle of beer.

Alcohol, the Australian flag and raw racism fuelled a violent rampage by thousands of young residents in Sydney yesterday, drawing widespread revulsion as bloodshed and bigotry turned a seaside suburb into a battleground.

www.theage.com.au...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well, i woke up today and saw something about riots on tv, i thought it was in France, but i can't be sure, i was still waking up. Let's hope these riots calm down, we can't have people attacking all middle eastern people because of what some have done, yet they do need to put in jail both, the middle eastern people that attacked the lifeguards and anyone else, and the white youths who are attacking innocent middle eastern people.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
thank U subz! I'm honored

Muaddib I just saw the news, up until now I had only read about it, and I must say I am sickened, the footage they showed actually brought tears to my eyes. I can't believe this is happening.

Seems from the reports also the people who instigated the riots are in for a new a-hole too, the cops and State officials are heated and I was proud of the comments I heard, even our PM's, which I haven't felt in a long time. ALthough I do disagree with his comments on there being no "underlying racism here in Australia". It is present, but has not become a wide-spread problem and I certainly hope we as Australians continue to deny racism

This behaviour will not be tolerated here, and while these youngsters think taking the law into their own hands is a good idea, all they're doing is making things worse for themselves and the rest of us.

Glad to see the police have brought some sort of order out there, because I was physically sickened to see what they got up to .. maybe I should have just stuck to reading about it. Seems to be the way to go with all news lately *sigh*

[edit on 12-12-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet

I am 39 if you wish to know.

ramble or a truth you dont like Yes well that would be par for the course. You have shown over and over in this thread how quick you are to dismiss the truth. So why would one more truth be different. You don't like it so you dismiss it. You have been shown over and over again to be wrong and yet you have resorted to attacking my age, maturity, credibility and more in order to hide and cover that fact that you are wrong. You have personally used an admin's post to back your wrongness up and thrown it in my face even though it has been shown I was right all along.

LAdy, you hvae to let it go. You hvae shown yourself to be wrong, then play on semantecs to try and prove you were not

No see inside that "ramble" you were so quick to dismiss because you didn't like it and it showed once again a truth, I showed that I do know Lebanese 'gangs'. I grew up with them. But you chose once again to ignore that truth because it didn't suit you. I actually said I had never had any trouble with them which is correct.

Oh so you grew up with the gangs now. I have come across lebanese gangs more than once and I have the opposite view.

Personal insults like that wash off my back because they show they are coming from someone that by their lies, by them saying I am making it up, by them saying they were THERE and nothing happened and more they have been backed into a corner and are now resorting to personal attacks to further hide the fact they are wrong and cannot admit it.
and that is the plain simple truth.

Well lady, it's not an insult but fact, you seem to want to constantly make issue with me
I honestly believe what I said to be true. Evven all these self serving u2u's you sent me kinda back up my statement.

We could keep this backward and forward nonsense up all day but it will never hide the fact you were wrong and can't admit it. So as my truths have been proved I am out of here. I have got lawns to mow, cakes to bake and kids to play hide and seek with. I might just go skateboarding with them and climb trees. Being right is enough for me, thats the only POINT i had to prove.

Well you're very insecure. People can read the posts and decide who was right and who was wrong - the thing is you know you weren't right in several areas. You seem to hvae tyhe need to prove that your right, by constantly repeating yourself
You had some truth but much of what you said originally was just sensationalist garbage and never happened.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   

People can read the posts and decide who was right and who was wrong -

I decided that this last post of yours was just unecessary.

Let's play nice folks

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
A year or so ago, my parents flew up to Sydney to attend a wedding. Their worst impression of Sydney came as they walked through the city streets, and had Middle Easterners shout abuse at them. I found it quite shocking that this sort of behaviour goes on. It's certianly not something that I've ever experienced in Melbourne.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by voided
A year or so ago, my parents flew up to Sydney to attend a wedding. Their worst impression of Sydney came as they walked through the city streets, and had Middle Easterners shout abuse at them. I found it quite shocking that this sort of behaviour goes on. It's certianly not something that I've ever experienced in Melbourne.

No Sydney and Melbourne are quite different in that respect. Sydney, while a big city has definately defined " pockets" if you will. Melbourne is more open both architecturally and the way it is laid out and also the attitudes of people here. While there are certain parts of Melbourne you could call " greek""lebanese"arabic"etc etc etc there seems to be quite a bit of movement between the communities. I havent experienced problems to date walking down the road in any of these areas here in Melbourne and I would hope I never will.

It's interesting to note that the Islamic Council of Victoria ( of which Melbourne is the capital city) went on record as saying that they didnt think this kind of violence would spread to Melbourne .

see here
Violence"wont spread" - I'm not saying it CANT happen, anything is possible, but it is interesting to note the difference between the cities.

also of interest is what seems to be the lack of comment on the Neo-Nazi group that was there handing out leaflets.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   
There has been more violence in sydney tonight. Outside a mosque in lakemba. Channel ten news just put on a news flash. Police also confiscated iron bars from a group in a park in Maroubra.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Who's stirring the pot? This is a conspiracy site guys. Think conspiracy.

I'm a not young, Australian born Wog who's lived and worked in a good third of this WONDERFUL country over my life, who's abit 'miffed' at what I'm reading here.

Let's not be "racist", and admit there is good and bad in ALL, but lets acknowledge that "cultures", and "families" of peoples do have "differences". It is what is so good about Oz. You can 'taste' the world without leaving our shores.

Now to 'conspiracy'....remember "Wogs Out Of Work", a stage show, written, produced etc. by Wogs, that actually 'shocked' alot of the world because of it's title? It was a great hit because it was "Australian" in that we laugh about our differences rather than fight over them.

An "Anglo" Aussie can call another "Anglo" Aussie "mate" in a tone of love or hate and we can well tell the difference. Same with any other "ethnic" 'lable'. It's the tone and delivery that made 'words' good or bad, none of this don't use the "N" word, social land mine nonsence. Sorry if I offend, but Slavs were the original Slaves, who proudly recognize their history in their "ethnic" name.

Then some "intelligencia" came along and started all this P.C. bull and we started getting touchy. "They" told us and told us, 'till we started to believe, that words were weapons. Please, for God's sake, give us back our famous irreverant humour. It's a safety valve for venting, proved by our history of peacefull and VERY productive co-existance.

Now I could list endless accounts of 'pockets' of 'groups' of people who are racist here, from every colour, cast etc. but that's just it, it's 'pockets' and not the whole bolt of cloth. Some just to the degree that they prefer their own company and some rabid morons, but on the whole we do know, deep down, that other than Aboriginal's, WE ARE ALL "NEW AUSTRALIANS" and damn lucky to live in a country that has never had a war on it's shores and we want to keep it that way.

So WTF is going on now? Deliberate miss-management from the top. Again, think, conspiracy.

During the flood of immigation after WW2, people came under contract to work and build this nation. They could be deported in the first few years if they didn't fullfill their contract. Now the work and conditions were hard, to say the least, but there was a sence of being needed and so, valued, even if it wasn't directly expressed and hell, it was war free, something all were damn greatfull for.

Now however, there are no great Murry River schemes or the like that put all peoples together to work for a common goal, despite there still being a need for alot of infrastructure to be developed. New immigrants are building their own businesses in their own little corners 'competing' against each other without first being thrown in the mix and getting a taste of our "fair go" ways. Many refugees, when they do finally get out of YEARS of "detention", have nowhere to go and nothing to do.

Government policies are causing many, completely unnecessary, tentions. They stopped building a Nation and started 'milking' their people by piting them against each other.

Like "National" and "religious" schools. "In my day" (the era that cemented our friendly reputation) I too went to a national school, like so many others, but it was on the weekend to learn about where we came from. The rest of the week we went to Aussie schools with the Aussies because that's what we now were.

Our schools offered 'religious instruction' once a week, you could opt out of if it was against your families wishes, but school, on the whole was not for teaching religion. You got that from family and church. Catholic schools existed but the tentions they caused should have been a warning not to go that way, rather than encourage them like today.

Alot of ill will has also grow out of lack of justice, from the top, to local police responses. If you can't get timely, fair responces to minor disputes, they escalate untill they become major, when sorting out who did what to whom, when and why, under the requirements of the written law, is all but impossible and people are left with the feeling they have to seek their own justice. Like the world over, we need more police on the streets and less chasing 'career advancement' in endless courses.

Now the responces on this thread to the 'mob' behaviour irritates me. Why isn't anyone "reporting" what's on the screen for all to see? THOUSANDS of people, gathered together, NOT being violent. By far, the majority are there as a SHOW of protest about our VOLUNTEER LIFE SAVERS being assulted and they weren't all "Anglos". But no, everyone is focusing on the close shots of the "idiot hoons" and not praising the majority, on the spot and in the heat of the moment, that refused to be drawn into the violence. They are the Australians I'm proud to be a part of. I do however, feel some on this thread wanted to see and sensationalize the worst just to be a part of some International "News Event".

Now as to what I've written; please don't start picking details I couldn't possibly cover. For a 'young' nation we have a deeply complex history, like an Arab population from the days of camel transport and a black slave workforce that was sent back when the job was done, that even many Australians aren't aware of. This is just a personal overview of some aspects related to the issue.

I know we "had" a "war" (in some ways it continues) with the Aboriginals etc. (one of my suburbs was called, Bell Post Hill, from the "alarm" system set there to call the settlers out to hunt down the Aboriginals that dared to show up in the area) and our history and current state is far from perfect, but the genuinely good nature of the bulk of Australians was developed by a sence of building a peacfull and productive nation together, something that the New World Order of Global Economic Priorities is trying to take from all of us.

Please don't fall for the CONSPIRACY. Refuse to be led away from being the fair and peaceful people we've worked hard to become and deserve to continue as.

Now off you go and greatfully buy a Kebab, Souvlaki, Pizza etc., tipping them all a Victoria Bitter from your slab and have a real Australian "THANKS GIVING".

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
More text messages are being sent around including one to the Australians saying they did well for last nights effort.

Word is that the Lebanese are supposed to be meeting down at Cronulla again.

www.abc.net.au...
New South Wales Police have confiscated a number of iron bars from a group congregating at Maroubra Beach in Sydney.
The group of about 50 people then moved a little further north to a pub.
Meanwhile, about 200 young people have blocked roads near the Lakemba Mosque in Sydney's south-west.
Police say demonstrators have occupied an area near the corner of Punchbowl Road and Wangi Road after leaving the mosque this evening.

[edit on 12-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Purly disgusting situation....

Hate spreads so fast....i wish peace could do the same.

And it's very funny to see poeple who posted threads like "France under Jihad" a whila ago now defend those who "riot" why are you not calling to have them shot on sight now?... bunch of hypocrits....

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   

www.news.com.au...
Among the new arrangements, the report calls for 11 additional cameras in Hyde Park, Pitt Street Mall, Martin Place, Wynyard Station Park and Railway Square and upgrading existing cameras with improved zoom, low-light capability and reliability.

It also recommends the renovation of the existing CCTV control room to include digital recording facilities.

"With a heightened risk of terrorism, the city's security review has identified improvements are needed," Ms Moore said.

"Community views on balancing public safety and civil liberties have shifted and we need to act to ensure the greatest good for the greatest number, in the circumstances."

What a co incidence, the same day that we have the huge incident to remind us of why ccd cameras are more important than our civil liberties.

Well I guess this study has now been rendered obsolete.

SMH Racial Study
Sydney is not divided by race and it does not have entrenched, ethnic ghettoes. Rather, a study has found, the city is a remarkable example of an urban racial melting pot when compared with other parts of the world.

While new migrants, particularly refugees, converged in areas with cheaper housing, the study found their children and grandchildren often moved on to other suburbs, reducing the chance of racial enclaves becoming entrenched.

The paper, by Macquarie University geographer Michael Poulsen and University of Bristol academics Ron Johnston and James Forrest, counters arguments that Sydney is becoming divided by race.

[edit on 12-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Wow. What a sad day for Australia. No longer the "Lucky Country".

Folks in the crowd chanting "Go home Lebs" is amusing. If anyone should be deported, it's the guys in these photos:

Arguing about who did what first, who did what worse, and who is right or who is wrong is moot, IMHO. Anyone who judges a person by their race, or by the actions of other individuals is wrong. Anyone who commits an act of violence which is not in immediate self-defence of themselves or others is wrong.

Retaliatory acts have the unfortunate side-effect of coming back and striking you in the back, no matter how tough you and your mates are. So you feel angry that *whites/Lebanese/Aborigines/Asians/Italians* have caused trouble in your neighbourhood; you get drunk and riot with 5000 other ignorant idiots around you. The *whites/Lebanese/Aborigines/Greeks/Italians* retaliate, you retaliate in kind, and so it gets worse, and everyone feels macho and vindicated and pumped up on adrenalin. And then one day your mother gets attacked while she's out buying groceries because she's white/brown/black and gets put in hospital. Nice one.
Funny how your Neanderthal sense of justice still completely failed to protect your family, and in actual fact you are indirectly responsible for her pain. Feel like a man yet?

The actions of all those involved in these riots and retaliatory riots are not "un-Australian", they're simply stupid. As I said, a sad day for Australia.

[edit on 2005-12-12 by wecomeinpeace]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join