It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Racial Riots Erupt In Sydney Australia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Racial riots between Middle Eastern Ethnics and Australians have erupted in Sydney's eastern suburbs in retaliation of the bashing of lifeguards at Cronulla beach last week by men of Middle eastern appearance. Thousands of Australians responded with text messages all week inviting people to a "take back our beach" rally today at Cronulla. Police arrested many Australians and one ambulance that was taking some middle eastern people to hospital was pelted with beer bottles as were the officers protecting it. Tonight hundreds of Middle eastern people are driving in the Eastern suburbs smashing cars and and there are reports of shootings with Australians being bashed in restaurants. The rioting has spread to other suburbs and all police available have been called into the area to help contain the violence. Police have set roadblocks in the area, stopping anyone of middle eastern appearance with crowds yelling "get out Lebs" and people speaking of their fathers protecting this land against this very thing. The rioters vary in age from teens through to middle aged men and women and the violence appears to be escalating out of control.

au.news.yahoo.com
New South Wales Police say several people of Middle Eastern appearance were attacked by a mob at Sydney's Cronulla Beach today.
Earlier in the day thousands of people gathered at the beach in response to calls to retaliate for the bashing of two lifeguards a week ago.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Goodwin says several people were the victims of racial attacks.
"In terms of crowd swells against some people of Arabic extraction ... some of those people that have been targeted have been Australian-born people that attend this beach in a quiet and relaxing manner," he said.
Six people were taken into custody and four have been charged.
Assistant Commissioner Goodwin says the attacks are un-Australian.
"People of Middle Eastern background that have been seen in the Cronulla area, a swarm of crowd has approached those people to hurl foul abuse and disgusting language and a most un-Australian approach to the way that the crowd has behaved," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can put some of the blame for this on the media. The media is covering this in a big way and interviewing many rioters who are saying their piece against the middle eaterns. Many racial taunts are being broadcast and it is virtually an invitation for anyone from both sides to go and join in the rioting. The media is having a field day with one station, ten news having reporters at four different locations tonight reporting in by phone on the late news. It seems to be an attempt to egg the tension on.

[edit on 11-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Define an Australian, there are very, VERY few people who can trace their roots to Australia for more than 3 or 4 generations. Unless of course you are Aboriginal. The use of the term "un-Australian" seems to pertain to some preconceived stereotypical Australian behaviour. Although the prevailing attitude of "Australians" over the best part of the last century was a highly xenophobic and racist one.

When something like this sparks off you can pretty much call it the "Australian" thing to do.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
(repeated from another post)

I'm glad the Australians are fighting back and I hope they win this fight against the Lebanese.

I saw this building up after those Lebanese men attacked the volunteer lifeguards a few days ago and then attacked a media crew.

Apparently they've been getting bullied by these gangs for years and now the Australians are finally standing up to them in large numbers.

For those who aren't familiar with the incident, here's an article from earlier in the week:

smh.com.au

"My son said there were four young Middle Eastern men. One of them said to his [19-year-old] friend: 'Get off our beach'. They said: 'We are here to protect you, to save you from drowning', then my son's friend got hit."

Within a minute, Donna said, both young men were being punched by up to 16 men, who attacked a third member of the club, aged 15, who tried to stop the fight. The melee left all three with bruising to their faces and the 19-year-old with stitches to his head after he was "king hit" from behind and knocked out.

Representatives of the North Cronulla club and Surf Life Saving NSW met police yesterday and asked for more protection of lifesavers and beachgoers.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Yes if I hear one more police chief or politician standing in front of a camera saying how Un Australian all this is I am going to scream. Australia is by choice and by nature multi cultural. Todays generation of Australians are mixed from all races and cultures. The racial tension has always been there with gangs forming of each of the ethnic groups for many years now and it seems with a little prodding here and there it has broken out. Who was behind these text messages, was it organised? Was this rioting an organised event? It has such shades of Paris that it's not funny. A push here, a prod there and the whole thing has gone off. The only question I have at the moment is...What are the Asians going to do about it? Stay out of it? Join the violence? On which side? and then theres the Europeans, the Greeks, Yugoslaves and Italians.

I do wonder who organised all this and why? I really think this powderkeg was lit.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I'm glad the Australians are fighting back and I hope they win this fight against the Lebanese.

Are you serious? Thats what our police force is for. Vigilantism aimed at entire communities over the actions of a group within them is simply not acceptable. Should the entire Lebanese community, Australian or not, be set upon by drunken morons simply because some other Lebanese morons broke the law?

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
The riots are still going on? Geez...

I think it was someone who was genuinely peeved at that lifeguard incident, and mob mentality took over.

We have ants in our freakin' pants, can't let the police do their job. Have to take it into our own hands...

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
breakingnews.iol.ie...

Racial tensions erupted today into running battles between police and thousands of white youths, many chanting racial slurs against ethnic Middle Easterners, at a beachside suburb in southern Sydney.
“People of Middle Eastern backgrounds that have been seen in the Cronulla area – a swarm of the crowd has approached these people with vile abuse,” said Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Goodwin.

dailytelegraph.news.com.au...

MAROUBRA Beach could be the new setting for race riots this weekend after police discovered a text message urging Middle Eastern gangs to start trouble in the Eastern Suburbs instead of Cronulla.
The message urged troublemakers to go to Maroubra beach on Sunday because the heavy police presence at Cronulla would prevent a confrontation.
The development came a day after The Daily Telegraph published comments from the Bra Boys surf gang leader, Koby Abberton warning Middle Eastern gangs to "stay away" from Maroubra.
Cronulla parents yesterday vowed to press ahead with a nippers carnival despite fears that brawls could erupt at the beach.
Cronulla residents yesterday turned on Premier Morris Iemma, accusing him of applying a "Bandaid" to racial problems in the area.

News.com.au
THEY called it a day of pride, but it will go down as a day of national disgrace.
Thousands of drunken youths descended on Cronulla in Sydney's south yesterday for the race riots police had feared.
"I'm an Australian, I was born here," a youth of Middle Eastern descent told locals who had taunted him with chants of "Kill Lebs".
Minutes later, he was left covered in blood, punched to the ground and kicked, before being led to safety by police.
Two girls of Middle Eastern descent were also pushed to the ground and pelted with beer bottles as police tried to rescue them.
The day began as a show of solidarity with thousands of locals draping themselves in Australian flags and calling for peace in their beachside suburb.

This all needs to be stopped now before it spreads to Wollongong and Melbourne. The media needs to tone down their reports and stop getting everyone excited over it all and not report the racial taunts as people are making them, which only glorifies the events.

Some of the media sound almost orgasmic in their descriptions and interviewing and it won't be long before rioters turn on police after the media broadcasts of the police beating the rioters and swinging their batons at people hard.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I will admit that there are plenty of lebenese "gangs" if u want to call them that, in australia. Yes they can be a big idiots and do gang up on small groups of people of individuals, but!
This is starting to get worrying, especialy if the same thing starts spreading to melbourne suburbs. There are alot of teens on both sides of the fence who just need a reason to start making chaos, i just hope this doesnt esculate untill its like what it was in france.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Thousands of Australians responded with text messages all week inviting people to a "take back our beach" rally today at Cronulla.

This statement is misleading and wrong. A text message was sent to thousands of people. Thousands of people weren't sending them.

Tonight hundreds of Middle eastern people are driving in the Eastern suburbs smashing cars and and there are reports of shootings with Australians being bashed in restaurants. The rioting has spread to other suburbs and all police available have been called into the area to help contain the violence.

Just where did you get this information ? Because it is completely wrong, none of what you're stating above has happened. I thought this was a place fo non-fiction not fiction

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
If it spreads down to Wollongong whcih is a huge multicultural city, over the next few days then Melburne definately has much to worry about.

Its not looking good as its already spread down toBrighten Le Sands tonight with hundreds of cars being smashed and people being bashed because of their race. it won't be long until a greek or Macedonian or Serbian is bashed because people think he is a lebanese and then pow, the keg will just go off.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I've head on a news station even the ambulances rushing people to hospital had to be protected by the Police?

Is this true?

If so this looks like a very serious conflict

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Mayet, Like I said, where are you getting this from. I live here and what your saying isn't happening on nearly the scale you're making it out to be

[edit on 11-12-2005 by mad scientist]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Who was behind these text messages, was it organised? Was this rioting an organised event? It has such shades of Paris that it's not funny. A push here, a prod there and the whole thing has gone off.

I do wonder who organised all this and why? I really think this powderkeg was lit.

This intolerant hate culture is being promoted everywhere - in the end, the manipulated violence will justify greater control over ordinary people, and a police state.

Now who on earth would want to do that?

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka
I've head on a news station even the ambulances rushing people to hospital had to be protected by the Police?

LOL, it was one ambulance, no more
And no one has been admitted to hospital anywhere near a serious condition. Like I said where is everyone getting all this from

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Define an Australian, there are very, VERY few people who can trace their roots to Australia for more than 3 or 4 generations. Unless of course you are Aboriginal. The use of the term "un-Australian" seems to pertain to some preconceived stereotypical Australian behaviour. Although the prevailing attitude of "Australians" over the best part of the last century was a highly xenophobic and racist one.

When something like this sparks off you can pretty much call it the "Australian" thing to do.

dude, what're u talking about. I have about 9 generations of Australian in me. Most of us original (not migrants) people do!!

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
(repeated from another post)

I saw this building up after those Lebanese men attacked the volunteer lifeguards a few days ago and then attacked a media crew.

Apparently they've been getting bullied by these gangs for years and now the Australians are finally standing up to them in large numbers.

For those who aren't familiar with the incident, here's an article from earlier in the week:

smh.com.au

"My son said there were four young Middle Eastern men. One of them said to his [19-year-old] friend: 'Get off our beach'. They said: 'We are here to protect you, to save you from drowning', then my son's friend got hit."

Within a minute, Donna said, both young men were being punched by up to 16 men, who attacked a third member of the club, aged 15, who tried to stop the fight. The melee left all three with bruising to their faces and the 19-year-old with stitches to his head after he was "king hit" from behind and knocked out.

Representatives of the North Cronulla club and Surf Life Saving NSW met police yesterday and asked for more protection of lifesavers and beachgoers.

Lebanese gangs have always been out of control. I don't know why but they've definitely made a name for themselves in terms of aggressive bad-tempered violence.

Haha, Lebanese Boys Crew!!

[edit on 11-12-2005 by sugeshotcha]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Thousands of Australians responded with text messages all week inviting people to a "take back our beach" rally today at Cronulla.

This statement is misleading and wrong. A text message was sent to thousands of people. Thousands of people weren't sending them.

sorry a comma may help you read that clearer. Thousands of people responded, with text messages being sent all week. Hows that. The text message were not sent by one person actually to explain to you in simple terms it became a Chinese whisper and a bit like a chain letter, it ws sent on and on.

Tonight hundreds of Middle eastern people are driving in the Eastern suburbs smashing cars and and there are reports of shootings with Australians being bashed in restaurants. The rioting has spread to other suburbs and all police available have been called into the area to help contain the violence.

Just where did you get this information ? Because it is completely wrong, none of what you're stating above has happened. I thought this was a place fo non-fiction not fiction

I guess you didn't watch the ten news on TV tonight or any of the other up to date reports showing the hundreds and hundreds of cars smashed. Or the roadblocks stopping lines and lines of cars from getting though. And I guess maybe you are not online speaking to people in the area as it is happening saying whats going on outside their windows. My family and friends are in the area and many of people I know in the area are talking of going and joining in as we speak. And even if you are in the area, in which particular area are you. and why is your story so different from what we hve just seen on the news? Who are you anyhows? Are you looking out your window at theviolence? Are you in the streets with the smashed cars? Were you there today? I am reporting what I see on television, what I read online, what i listen to off eyewitnesses that are actually there.

Off one forum I can find many others

You guys been watchin the news hearing about life guards bashed at cronulla beach
Its got all australians goin crazy lookin to bash every wog in sight, jst now a beach near me (brighton Le sands) is having a riot apparently 2 aussie police officers were shot during a driveby also an australian family was bashed inside of a restaraunt,
this has gotten ugly fast, so umm can i crash at someones place until all this cools off preferably someone that lives out of sydney

Riwka, They showed one ambulance on the news being pelted. The wording on our news was the same as yours probably as the picture was being shown. Ambulances carrying middle eastern people to hospital with injuries were pelted with beer bottles. It didnt say how many nor did it say just one.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

LOL, it was one ambulance, no more
And no one has been admitted to hospital anywhere near a serious condition. Like I said where is everyone getting all this from

Thank you, good to know

I've heard the news on my local radio station - but I am thousands of miles away and I know about the critical, often policymaking role of the media.

[edit on 11-12-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

You guys been watchin the news hearing about life guards bashed at cronulla beach
Its got all australians goin crazy lookin to bash every wog in sight, jst now a beach near me (brighton Le sands) is having a riot apparently 2 aussie police officers were shot during a driveby also an australian family was bashed inside of a restaraunt,
this has gotten ugly fast, so umm can i crash at someones place until all this cools off soldier.gif preferably someone that lives out of sydney

That's just it Mayet, amost nothing about what you're saying has been reported on the news
I have seen all the TV channels tonight and they reported none of this.
I can guarantee if 2 pokiceman had been shot, it would hvae been all over the news
Thta's why I have to say it's BS.
I don't know aho you're talking to, but seems like they are making things up.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Thats strange because up here many of the news stations cross over and most have a six o clock news so you must have a multiscreened tv.

I said reports in my sentence. I am totally right to say reports, because I have reports that this has happened from people in the area and people present. You seem to be spending a lot of time here picking apart what I have to say which is rather odd. If I hear a report of something like this happening then I will report on it saying it is a report, which means its been reported but its not yet an established FACT.

What is also strange is when I seem to show you my proof of one point you go and find another instead of contributing and reporting what you are seeing with your eyes. Have you got into your car and driven down to see whats happening at all so you can add you bit of eyewitness reporting to the thread or are you just going to pick on everything i say.

seven.com.au...
the above report talks of one abulance with windows smashed. I didnt see any windows smashed and injured paramedics in the ambulance I saw being pelted with beer bottles. I therefore conclude that this may be two separate ambulances involved although it is possible that the angles didn't show a smashed window, even though it showed many thrown beer bottles. it also did not show injured paramedicas. In fact they drove out of there quite healthily guarded by police. The two reports were also wored differently, the one above speaking of injuries to paramedics and smashed winows but no mention of beer bottles.

What suburb did you say you were in again?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join