It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future Chinese carrier aircraft: “Super J-10”?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Comparing systems and saying my nukes are better than yours therefore I win just doesn’t apply to nuclear warfare. The only relevant questions are could they launch them (yes) and would they get through (yes). Just one ICBM on New York would be a catastrophe beyond any of our wildest nightmares and would cripple the US. Now obviously the prospect of nuclear war is too horrific to be contemplated as a general military option, and yes the US would return the favor to China, but that’s not the point. Nuclear weapons make China virtually IMMUNE from direct conflict with US and vice versa. Numbers of lorries or carriers don’t feature in the superpower equation, unless you are trying to stack the odds in one particular direction.

Anyway, what do you know about PLAN aircraft carriers and potential air options or were you just here to make politically motivated remarks?

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by planeman
Numbers of lorries or carriers don’t feature in the superpower equation, unless you are trying to stack the odds in one particular direction.

As a matter of fact, US supercarriers do figure into the superpower equation, any superpower equation, especially when considering the Battle Groups they roam in. Furthermore, they are instruments of superpower and nuclear projection, and China knows this, as did Russia. They are political, military, and nuclear projection devices, not to be dismissed.

Anyway, what do you know about PLAN aircraft carriers and potential air options or were you just here to make politically motivated remarks?

When is China going to build a Aircraft Carrier?
China rejects reports of aircraft carrier project

seekerof

[edit on 12-12-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 27 2023 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: planeman
My personal belief is that the carrier will be used primarily for training of PLAN in how to operate fixed wing combat aircraft at sea, something which it has next to zero experience of. It will thus function in much the same way as the USSR’s Yak-38 Forger equipped Kiev class carriers –and in common with the Kiev, its air wing will be combat capable, though not to the extent of US carriers. I agree that China will seek to commission indigenous Carrier designs to supercede this unit.

I do not personally believe that the notional J-10C (“Super J-10” as I’ve called it) will be developed. This is not a minor modification; it’s a whole new aircraft type. Developing the twin engine J-10C for the PLAN would delay the whole carrierization process and be ridiculously expensive for what is a 40-100 aircraft requirement. Instead I think that Mig-29k Fulcrum or Su-33 Flanker aircraft will be used. Even though deployed primarily for gaining carrier experience, these aircraft will impart a very real combat capability, sufficient for power projection and disruption of US operations.

Calling it a “training ship”, though essentially accurate (IMO), is rather dismissive in tone. It could lead to a gross underestimation of capability and mission impact. It should not be dismissed.

Other types I envisage being deployed on it include the AEW variant of the Helix. I do not place any confidence in China’s copy of the Hawkeye which has been shown in model form; at best it is a long term project and of questionable merit.

This thread may be 18 years old, but the People's Liberation Army Navy has deployed the Shenyang J-15 (a carrier-based variant of the Shenyang J-11, itself a Chinese copy of the Su-27) aboard the Liaoning and Shandong aircraft carriers (the Liaoning was originally christened the Varyag when ordered by the Soviet Navy and laid down, but the fall of the USSR halted its construction, and it was eventually transferred to China in the early 2000s to be converted for operational use by the PLAN). The Chengdu J-10C has been built as an upgraded version of J-10B with an indigenous AESA fire-control radar, an imaging infrared seeker (IIR) PL-10, a Shenyang WS-10B engine, and PL-15 air-to-air missiles. Pakistan operates the export version of the J-10C, the J-10CE.

Links:
thediplomat.com...
www.ainonline.com...
www.globaltimes.cn...

<< 1   >>

join