It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Explosion Heard Near Fuel Depot in Hemel Hempstead, England

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I got to within about 3/4 mile from the depot this morning by around 06:20.

Looking down the road towards the depot, from the main road through the industrial estate, all you could see was a wall of fire with the flames visible above other buildings. Some of the bursts of flame were reaching several hundred feet in height. There were also a further two large explosions and several smaller ones, like cylinders cooking off, whilst I was there.

I haven't seen any shots from the air yet on any of the news channels but they will give a better impression of the scope of this disaster.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Very little info here in the U.S. on TV, even on CNN International (which I get but probably most Americans don't) ... any more word on the plane crash reports?

Nothing in the press briefing.

I guess that part of the story may have come from the storage facitlity being close to Luton airport, and 'someone' saying something along the lines of

"I heard an explosion, I thought it must have been a plane crashing [at the airport]". The inference then being drawn that it might have been a plane that hit the terminal.

The Police and Fire service did not speculate on the source (which is fair enough at this stage I'd say).

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
A spokesman from the Petrol Retailers Association has said that there should be no effect on supplies or prices because of this due to contingency plans being in place.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
They just said on CNNI that it was definitely an accident -- no aircraft involved.

[edit on 12/11/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Thanks DJ.

No terror attack - that is the good news on this horrible accident.
May the wounded have a speedy recovery.

Do they already know how the accident happened?

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Geez, well i live not far from this and felt the major boom, The smoke is everywhere,

I though it was an earthquake, as my windows are all open,

Just to warn others who live near,

They are expecting possible more explosions,

Thank goodness this was not monday morning! this could have been a heck of alot worse

[edit on 11-12-2005 by asala]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I just saw a satellite image on the BBC site and the smoke plume is huge and spreading to the east. Being 2 miles away I get a good view of the smoke rising and it aint pretty

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
yep same here brit,

best to not breath this stuff in till it thins out a little

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka

Do they already know how the accident happened?

There has been some discussion about it being related to a petrol vapor build up but that is just one theory. However, an eye witness interviewed by the BBC said that just before the explosion, he was inside a nearby building and was just about to remark about the heavy fuel smell in the air when he was lifted off his feet.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
At least the wind has swung around and is now taking it to the east of us. Of course, it now means that people out that way are gonna be affected too. Up until a couple of years ago I was part of a corporate safety & security team working in a building that backed onto the depot.
In a way it's a miracle that this didn't happen on a weekday when there would have been several thousand people working in the immediate area, adjacent to the blast site.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The guy interviewed was working in my old building. I can remember many times, whilst working into the early hours of the morning, stepping outside for some air and the atmosphere being heavy with petrol fumes.

I used to wonder what the impact would be if there was ever an explosion there and now I am seeing it firsthand.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Some pics that have been caught on camera phone

Update, 2 of the people thought to have been seroisly injured are ok,

so thats 36 injured, and 2 seriously,

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala

best to not breath this stuff in till it thins out a little

People should get away from the area!
Gas oil is a lot like diesel fuel, which produces very fine particulates when burned, Diesel particulates are suspected to be a carcinogen for a long time. Long-term exposure would be a very significant health risk.

Why take any risks? go to your relatives or something.

All the best... ian

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Just an update for those of us in the area,

The highway agency says sections of the M1 going to be closed for the rest of the day,

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The BBC is showing some dramatic arial shots from their helicopter.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Seems the french and dutch are reported to of heard this explosion too.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Wouldn't be surprised that so many people far from the explosion heard it.
I am 2 miles away and it was horrendous

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Ive just gone down there with my camera and these are the pics that i have got for you

This was as close as i could get to it

peace

djdohboy

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Not that it lessens the impact or loss of life resulting from such a catastrophic event but, as mentioned in other posts, it could have been much worse had it happened on a workday/weekday.

BBC Images

I would also like extend my condolences to any/all who may have lost a loved one and to wish a speedy recovery for those injured as a result of the blast(s).

on a side note:
for the pics and vids DJDOHBOY

Peace2All

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join