It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extremely Dangerous Bird Flu Mutation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The bird flu virus which was discovered in the Crimea recently is apparently unique and is "extremely dangerous for humans" according to Russian press.

RIA Novosti: Bird flu virus mutation in Ukraine is unique

The mutation of the bird flu virus discovered in the Crimea, an autonomy on the Black Sea, is unlike any other that has been found in the world and is extremely dangerous for humans, Ukraine's ICTV channel reported Friday.

The final word on the type of virus strain will be announced after the test results are received from Europe.

The Ukrainian leadership recently imposed a state of emergency in the Crimea. Poultry imports from the area have been banned and mass vaccinations of the population are under way.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is disturbing news. However, I´m not sure how much we should put into this until : "after the test results are received from Europe". If they don´t know exactly what type of virus strain it is, how can they say it is "extremely dangerous for humans"? I guess they must have had some kind of information about the virus to be able to say so. I will keep my eyes open for the test results and I urge you to do the same.

Related News Links:
RIA Novosti: Bird flu found in 19 Crimean settlements - TV

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Hum,

A bit of a conflicting report here I am afraid. Who know what it really is until the test results are confirmed.

The Scotsman
Sat 10 Dec 2005
Sergei Dankvert, the chief of Russia's Federal Veterinary Service, was quoted by ITAR-Tass as saying that a laboratory in the Russian city of Vladimir had confirmed the strain found in Ukraine was "the so-called Asian strain H5N1 that poses a potential threat to man."

The Russian veterinary service press department could not confirm the ITAR-Tass report, and the laboratory, the All-Russia Research Institute of Animal Protection, referred callers to the Agriculture Ministry in Moscow, which oversees the vet service.

Petro Kovalenko, a senior official at Ukraine's Veterinary Service, however, said they had not received any confirmation.

China View
MOSCOW, Dec. 9
"This is so-called Asian strain H5N1 that poses a potential threat to man," Russian chief agriculture inspector Sergei Dankvert told the Itar-Tass news agency, referring to the virus found in Ukraine and sent to the All-Russia Research Institute of Animal Protection for testing.

Ukraine is also waiting for results of laboratory tests in Britain next week.

[edit on 12/10/05 by makeitso]

new topics

join