It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Two Convicted Over American Nun - Rainforest Activist Murder.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Two men have been convicted by a Brazilian court in the Amazon city of Belaem over the murder of Dorothy Stang and American nun and rainforest activist who was shot to death on February 12 this year. Neves Sales was sentenced to 27 years jail for shooting Mrs Stang and another farm worker Clodoaldo Carlos Batista was sentenced to 17 years aftr being found guilty of being an accomplice to the murder which was allegedly a contract killing ordered by ranchers.

www.abc.net.au
A Brazilian court has found two men guilty of murdering American nun and rain forest activist Dorothy Stang in a contract killing.

The Stang case became a test of Brazil's will to combat land-related killings responsible for the deaths of over 1,300 peasant farmers and activists in the past 30 years in Latin America's largest country.

Three ranchers have been accused of ordering Ms Stang's killing but are appealing the charges.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I only hope the same justice is served the ones who ordered the murder. It is good that the senteces are hefty but there needs to be the same harshness handed out to those who ordered the killings to set an example to those that may follow.

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
br.i1.yimg.com

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
agreed, this is a sad story indeed. the price you pay to stop those that do wrong. i hope they get those who ordered it as well as those who did it, and get equal, severe punishment.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Sickening killing for greed, obviously the brazillian govt dosnt care much about this since they are not going after those who put the contract out. This woman sacrificied her life for the planet a hero in my eyes

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
Sickening killing for greed, obviously the brazillian govt dosnt care much about this since they are not going after those who put the contract out. This woman sacrificied her life for the planet a hero in my eyes

Can they even go after these people?

The only real chance of doing such things, would for these people who are in charge to come to Brazil, as I highly doubt they live in the Country. There are of course a few other problems with this, the reason as to why would have to be proven as well as displaying that those people paid - which isn't an easy task.

We would all like to see those who are responsible put to trial, however the Brazilian Government has many murder cases and it can't factor all of its resources after one such event.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
One of the killers said he acted in self defence. He thought her bible was a gun...

FOXNews.com: Brazilians Guilty of Killing U.S. Nun

Sales said he acted in self-defense, believing Stang was reaching for a gun as she pulled out a Bible.

And she might have been careless with her choice of words. She said: "The weapon I have is this"...

FOXNews.com: Brazilian Thought Nun's Bible Was Gun Before He Killed Her

Sales testified he and Stang had an argument over who owned the land he was working, and that Stang threatened to "finish him off" with the help of some 150 people living on a sustainable development reserve she was trying to establish.

"She said, 'The weapon I have is this,' and reached into her bag," Sales said. "I didn't know what she was going to pull out of her bag so I shot her."

top topics

join