It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ignore button?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

I still don't think you're catching the oh-so-clever nuances of my message, but that's okay.

After all, that's outside my control -- and I do love the irony.

And hey, it's all good, baby.

yeah, i finally get it...a controller who doesnt want to control....man, i'm slow today

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700

Originally posted by spamandham
I don't hold myself to a higher standard, so hit the ignore link at will.

like when someone disagrees with him and he runs out of material for the debate, hence the original reason for this post.

As you recall, the reason was your comparing me to Hitler in this post.

You had nothing to offer, and with that comment you entered into the domain of obnoxious as well.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
hmm.... kind of hard to read my posts when i'm on ignore spam.

in regards to the hitler comment, if you contend that religious books (or any other books you might disagree with) should be thrown into the trash heap, then i dont think that comparison was too far off...the nazis had huge book burning parties during their reign....however, this discussion is not appropriate for this thread. if you'd care to continue on the appropriate thread, i will be more than happy to respond.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I've never used the ignore button, not once. I like reading everyone's drivel.

If I ever find out that somebody else has me on ignore, I'll meet you at the cyber-bikeracks after ATS school.

Peace

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I can't...

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
As I said in an earlier post, since there aren't many overt trolls here, at least not for long enough to really disrupt the boards, I doubted that I'd use the ignore feature.

Well... I just put a poster on ignore a couple of days ago, and there's another that's probably going there soon. Why? Honestly-- for my own protection.

This ties in with Valhall's excellent "Feeding the White Elephant" thread, and with the TOS here at ATS.

There are just some people who are so blindly and rigidly partisan that there's really no way to communicate effectively with them. It's impossible to get them to see objective reality-- everything is viewed through their partisan blinders. To them, any policy promoted by their party is axiomatically good, and any policy promoted by the opposition party is axiomatically bad. It's impossible to actually discuss the policy in question, simply because their minds are already made up and absolutely cannot be changed. There's no combination of logic and reason that can reach them, since they're immune to such things. Personally, I think that extreme partisanship is a form of insanity-- the partisan cannot view reality objectively, but can only see it through a set of preconceptions. Their definitions of good and bad are not rooted in external reality, but in a self-imposed narrowing and skewing of reality. Skewing reality in order to fit one's preconceptions is the very definition of insanity.

But anyway-- when faced with such people, I'll generally try for a while to reach them through the use of logic and reason, but when it becomes apparent that there's no hope of that, I have been known, at least from time to time. to apply what I like to call 'the two by four across the forehead' approach. That is-- I lay out my analysis of the flaws in their reasoning and the source of those flaws and the consequences of those flaws, and I do so in the most direct and confrontational terms possible. My belief is that if they are immune to logic and reason, they might at least be forced to consider the possibility that they might be in error if I figuratively hit them over the head with it.

But the problem is that that sort of confrontation, here, simply earns one of those little red "Warn" tags that I'm currently dragging around with me.

So, if there's no way to convince a particular poster into even momentarily considering the possibility that they might be in error, and I can't beat them over the head with their error, then it seems that the only remaining option is to remove them from my view, so that I'm no longer tempted to attempt the impossible, or to do the unacceptable.

As a bit of an aside-- I find it to be ironic that the two posters I mentioned-- the one that's already on ignore and the one that might soon be-- are themselves on opposite "sides" of the political divide. I guess that just goes to show that blindness is bipartisan.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join